General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile Fat Actress

Hey, did anyone happen to watch Fat Actress last night? I saw it and thought it was HILARIOUS! Especially the part with the slapping and the light!

Just curious as to what anyone thought of it if you saw it.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #2  

Yes, I did see it and yes it was very funny. I laughed so hard when she was walking through the office with the song "Bubble Butt" playing! :
I will be watching it from now on!!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #3  
Heather

I thought it was ok, I really like K. Alley but didnt think the show was THAT funny. My bf thought it was rediculous. I will keep watching it only because of Alley.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #4  

I thought it was pretty rediculous as well. I watched about 20 minutes, then switched to something else. Just not my kind of show.

Beverly
Old 03-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #5  
it's always something

I thought bits and pieces were funny. I HATED the opening bit, though, with her crawling on the floor and carrying on. It just wasn't funny at all, and didn't set the right tone for the rest of the show. Did she wear her nightgown to the burger place? So for me, they started out badly and had to work hard to make up for it. I thought they fed a lot of stereotypes that made me uncomfortable. I was also surprised by the references to Jenny Craig and wonder if this is going to be a promotional tool for them. I like Jenny Craig, but when I watch a comedy program, I don't expect a subliminal infomercial.

There were some funny parts, but I was kind of disappointed overall
Old 03-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #6  

I think the Jenny Craig thing, is to lead up to her eventual weight loss and she is the offical spokesperson for them now. I don't know how I felt about the show. At times I related, than I thought it was mean, then off the wall. It is certainally a different approach. What would I really feel is very sorry if Kirstie does not lose the weight (cause we know how that can happen) She has thrown herself out there and I think deep down she agreed to do this show to one day be able to say F!@# u to everyone one of those who made comments about her. She is pretty much saying, just because it is behind by back does not mean I can't hear you. It's a weird show that will most likely become a huge sucess mostly from women like us watching it. I say give it a another chance and see what happens.

The whole clapper thing was only saved by her freaking out laughing at the situation. There were so many other scenes that I took offence to, like John Travolta. until the end when I saw them doing a dancing number together to kind of make up for the fact they made him look like a bad friend.

Dale
Old 03-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #7  
Learning to love ME!

I think this show is intended to be a satire and is "over the top" for a reason. I thought it was funny and clever.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #8  

I didn't watch it. My feelings get hurt so easily over the way heavier people are portray, that I just didn't want to see it done by someone who should know how it feels. Maybe I should watch before I judge it.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/229.4/147

Height: 5'2"

I really didn't think the show was as good as I thought it would be. I only watched because I like her but I thought the show was pretty degrading, I can't believe she did that opening scene. I agree that the light-slaping scene was pretty funny but overall I was dissapointed.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #10  
Lawshark

I thought the french fry scene was funny. Other than that, the show was pretty disappointing and did not meet my expectations. I think that Kirstie can do waaaaaaaaaay better than that. I will wait to see if it improves.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #11  
Heather

[QUOTE=lawshark]I thought the french fry scene was funny. QUOTE]
I agree the french frie scene when she yelled out the window was very funny, and then when she found them in her pocket
Old 03-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #12  

I watched the first episode at yahoo tv it was quite odd. Like Suzanne I hated the opening it was so unfunny but it improved.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #13  

I thought it was overly dramatic, but I liked that they put a fat woman, (even looking bad, you know the scene where her hair is sticking up and she's crying, and stuffing her face) on tv. I mean, who doesn't go through some of that stuff?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #14  
For my HEALTH...

I agree with Gypsydancer and this show is MEANT to be "over the top" and a satire. Having said that I thought the 1st episode was much better than the 2nd episode which disappointed me.

I also like the fact that Kirstie manages to show that even though society does not want us to believe it, it is very possible for a woman to still be beautiful even when she is at her heaviest.

I remember about 15-20? years ago that Elizabeth Taylor had gained weight and was at her very heaviest. There was so many thin WOMAN comedians who were really ripping into her and making fun of her weight. But at the time I remember thinking to myself that with her lovely face & hair, Elizabeth still managed to be more beautiful than all of these those thin comedians who were making so much fun of her. It is also too true that famous heavy WOMEN get picked on by comedians so much more than famous heavy MEN--Pookie

Last edited by POOKIE88; 03-15-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #15  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

I also caught the show and thought it was really funny and diffrent as well.
It was also totally unexspected from what I thought it was going to be.
Cudos to Kirstie for getting a show in the first place , and for doing a really good comedy show that I wouldnt mind watching again.
Closed Thread