General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:43 AM   #1  
Go, Banana!

Exclamation question gone rant. beware: extreme sarcasim

just wondering if anyone else had run this problem with there apartments. i recently moved into this place, recently meaning 4 months ago. the girl, upon signing the lease told me that if my boyfriend stays with me, he can listed as an occupant and not have to sign the lease. now, 4 months later the same misinformed girl is telling me that he has to be put on the lease b/c he stays here. he stays at my house less than a full week... which i thought technically means he doesnt have to be listed as anything b/c he is just "visiting" (i have been told that if someone is staying for less than a week then they arent living with you, by the front offices misinformed team of experts). they want 35 bucks, and to check his credit (which sucks), do a background check, and be added to the lease when i have voiced my opinion against doing so... i do not want him on the lease. it is my apartment and my financial obligation. he is to not be involoved with that. they arent listening. they dont care if he stays one or 6 days a week... they want him on it. her manager told me that actually and said it was texas state law.

grrr i fear this is turning into a rant than a question. this is the same apartment that i have had TWO leaks, my oven range cought on fire ruining a pot, i have had ant and centipede invasions. and not to mention the noisy upstairs neighbors... between ghetto rap at 4 am, a squeaky 'sex bed' also at 4 am (it happened the neighbor and i were in the office at the same time today, the manager pulled her aside and started laughing about the whole incident with the neighbor. i was extremely embarassed and left) and a dog peeing on there balcony which leaked through to mine! my mother told me to call the corporate office about all of this. my boyfriend has told me to call the b.b.b.
i have NEVER had a problem about any apartment that i have lived in but i guess this is a first. ....and to add the perverbial icing on the cake... the second leak happened saturday, the day i was supposed to leave for a nice three day retreat to my moms. i was never able to leave. to this i say BAH HUMBUG! lol but i hope, wishing i could say i know itll get better. but for some reason i fear that having to hit the bottom to get back up is just starting. i have 8 more long months to endure this damn apartment. wish me luck lol.

peace irina
Old 12-21-2004, 07:08 AM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Gee - does this mean that if you have your friends come over more than once a week that they technically live there? What a load of hooey!

I would suggest that you check into it with the head office, the local better business bureau and local law agencies and try to find out what the law really is and what your rights are as a tenant.

http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Texas/tenants.html

http://www.texashousing.org/txlihis/sub/subten.html

http://www.peopleslawyer.net/tenant3.html
Old 12-21-2004, 08:34 AM   #3  
i luv my dog!

Be sure you document everything. If you do contact the corporate office, do so in writing (carefully worded, of course!). Check the Texas Tenants rights. Here is an overview w/more info in the last paragraph.
http://www.oag.state.tx.us/AG_Public...s/tenant.shtml
Good Luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:48 AM   #4  
Go, Banana!

thank you both very very much!
Old 01-15-2005, 02:02 AM   #5  

Height: 5'9

That sounds awfully shady about making you sign your boyfriend to the lease and all that!

Yes, We've had our share of problems in our apartment since we moved in, in August. He was redoing the attic for us before we moved in (so we could use it as a bedroom) and he promised it would be done by August first. Well, we went in on Aug. 1st to start painting and cleaning and it wasn't even halfway done. The guys he hired to do the drywall (mainly what was to be done) and they messed it up. So, he had to hire another guy to fix it. So, we had to wait an extra 2 weeks before we moved in. I don't think he ever refunded the rent we paid for those first 2 weeks!
The apartment was filthy, but that wasn't a big surprise. Our windows are TERRIBLE, especially the ones in the living room and bathroom. He told us that he would replace the ones in the living room and bathroom in November. It's now January and we haven't heard a word about it. The second week we moved in, our stove stopped working. Luckily, he brought us a new "used" one the next day. Also, the flooring in the bathroom is HORRENDOUS! It's so old and nasty. I was putting down those "peel and stick" tiles to cover the old floor one night and I bumped the bathroom sink. Well, that caused a HUGE leak in the pipes underneath the sink. Had to wait a couple of days for that to be fixed and the guy he sent over kept asking me about cheating on my fiance! I told Jon (my fiance) that I was never to be left alone in the house with that guy ever again!
Our landlord was supposed to put a banister up on the stairway going into the attic. In December, I fell down the other stair case and went head first into our front door. He said, for my safety, he would put that banister up for the bedroom within the next week. That was never done.
The finish is coming off of the tub and the bathroom sink so I have to scrub like a maniac and bleach to get it CLEAN!
All in all, it's not THAT bad. BUT, it's these little things that really bug the **** out fo me!!
Sorry, I got started and had to finish my little rant! LOL
Old 01-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

We had a nice apartment...for the first few years. Then they started going downhill. Paying nearly $1K a month, they should have kept the place up better. We ended up with our air conditioner leaking twice and they never repainted the walls where it ran down inside the apartment. Then the upstairs neighbors overflowed their bathroom twice and they never painted or fixed the hall light fixture or ceilings, carpet, etc. from either of those. We complained in writing about numerous problems with both the apartment and the clubhouse, in which most of the equipment kept breaking down and wasn't being repaired.

Then we had a family emergency crop up and we had to quickly move out of state to take charge of my hubby's ill parents. The reason for breaking our lease was explained as an emergency and the apartment was cleaned thoroughly. Now for an apartment who had 6 month waiting lists before, they somehow can't seem to rent out the apartment. They are listing "water damage", but the problem is, the complaints of the damage and their refusal to paint is in writing. So don't know why they thought they could pass that one off. Secondly, they tried to charge us a late fee for December's rent, nearly two months after we had moved out when we did not even know any money was still owed. And the best is, they still tried to charge us the $25 cat fee for having a cat living in the apartment.

After the letter they received from our lawyer, I don't know how it's all going to pan out. But even should we have to pay another month on the rent, we definately won't be paying any late fees or cat fees. Those were made quite clear in the letter as being unfair business practices and unenforceable. You would think that if a tennant spent nearly 7 years with you and always paid their rent on time, you'd want to treat them better than that.
Closed Thread