General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 01:22 PM   #1  

Question plus size formal dresses?

Hello!
My mom (hi mom!) recommended that I ask everyone here about places to get plus size formal party dresses. Any recommendations?

I am hoping to find funky tea length party dress for the holidays.
Thank you!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:13 PM   #2  

David's Bridal has some you can look at through their website, though I think the store has to special order the plus sizes, at least that's what they told me once upon a time. If you find one you like on the website just be sure to leave enough time for them to get it in and for you to have enough time to find something else if you don't like it after all. http://www.davidsbridal.com/index.jsp

I just got a formal at Dillard's, if you have those where you are. A lot of the stuff looks like something my mom would wear, yes, but they have quite a few younger looking dresses too. Don't try the website though, as the website doesn't have a very good selection. If you have a Dillard's in town, go look there and try more than one store if there are some around you.

Nordstrom's and Macy's also has some plus size formal stuff, though I've never looked for myself, I've only been told.

http://www.nikibynikilivas.com/ She has some nice dresses and many of them come in plus sizes. This is the designer that made the dress I just bought at Dillards, but my dress isn't on the site for some reason. Anywho, if you find a dress you like there, that site has a link of what stores near you carry her lines.

http://www.groupusa.com/ Most of their dresses go up to a 22, some to a 24, but be warned, they are one size smaller than they claim (AKA: a 24 fits more like a 22, 22 is more like a 20, etc etc). If you have one of these near you, it's worth a shot though, they are having great sales right now. There is a store locator on the website. You can browse the site, but I do reccomend just going in if you can, there are more styles in the store than on the site.

Hope these are helpful, if I think of any more I'll post again.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #3  

Help is closer than you think! If you don't mind shopping online, go to the 3FC menu at the top left of this page & click on Plus size shopping. There is a catagory for bridal and specialty dresses with 14 sites that sell these type of dresses. I don't know what your style is, but they had some cute one's on the Roman's site. Also, I don't know if you have any Catherine's Plus size stores in your area, but I have found some nice formal dresses there. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #4  
Swimming Mouse

Silouhettes (which I most assuredly spelled wrong, as usual) has so really gorgeous (to me, at least) formals. I wish I had a place to wear the one I really like, but I don't, so I won't buy it.
Catherine's has some nice stuff, too: in fact, I just gave my two business formal outfits I bought at Catherines in 2002 to the school I work at. We have a number of students in the same situation I am in, except without the money to purchase appropriate interview attire. The outfits were worn only 2 or 3 times each over the 2 years, and are now far, far too big on me to be appropriate. It costs too much to have them altered.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:11 PM   #5  

Roaman's has a few: www.Roamans.com. Jessica London may as well, www.jessicalondon.com.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you are looking for a more "funky" dress...maybe check out www.torrid.com -it is sort of a "plus sized" Hot Topic.

Aphil
Old 01-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #7  

Don't completely discount having a dress custom made by a seamstress, either. If you find a fabric you just love, and can draw a picture of the kind of dress you have in mind, most fair to middlin' seamstresses can run one up for you. Check into any shop that says they offer "tailoring" as well. You never know.

All things considered, you could spend an equal amount of money having a dress that fits you perfectly and flatters you, as to hunting down and finding one that fits that you sorta like.

But I'm a seamstress so this is usually not a problem for me anyway...
Closed Thread