General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 07:38 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default any dog food experts out there?

I need help

My tiny and very old chihuahua is having problems eating solid food. She's losing most of her teeth and can barely chew. I've tried giving her canned foods, but for some reason, she doesn't like it. She'll lick it a few times, then walks away.

I bought some Moist and Meaty (Purina) food and she loves it. It's the kind that comes in little pouches, and looks like ground hamburger meat. It's soft so she can chew it easily. They only problem, though, is that it's a little rough on her digestive system. It gives her gas and she has to "go" two or three times a day. Prior to this problem, she was eating Iams mini-chunks and did very well with it.

I've searched, but can't find a substitute for the Moist and Meaty type food. Does anyone know of another maker for a soft food, from a higher quality brand?

thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 09:36 AM   #2  
It is what it is...

Have you tried her old food, but just adding water to make it softer?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #3  

Suzanne, the problem is NOT the moist and meaty, but changing her from the dog food her body had become accustomed to (namely a higher quality food.) I talked to my vet about this very same thing as I have a Yorkie and when we got him from the breeder he was on Eukanuba, which is expensive. The vet told me that "grocery store" type dog foods have more fat in them and are harder to digest and that a pet will be ok on those foods, but if he is on a high quality food and then changed, it is likely to cause diahrrea and stomach upset for awhile until its body can adjust so he suggested I NOT do it. I would try Carri's suggestion and return to the dog food and try and moisten it. Hope that works out for you!

Faye
Old 03-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #4  

Suzanne.....what about baby food?????? shrimpy
Old 03-22-2004, 07:39 PM   #5  
it's always something

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I'll try adding some warm water to her old food and see if that helps, perhaps just a few pieces at a time, so it doesn't sit and waste. Maybe some babyfood might help, too. I seem to recall a babyfood "finger food" that looks like little vienna sausages, but would be mild. She'd like that.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:45 AM   #6  
Empress/Queen

This sounds crazy but I had a vet once who told me to give my Old Dog rice and cottage cheese when she had some problems and wouldn't eat dog food. Actually it IS a bit strange as my understanding is that dogs can't digest the lactose in milk products, but she really did well on the rice and cottage cheese and I still make it for her sometimes ... you might ask your vet if it'd be ok for your girl! Good luck!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:16 PM   #7  

Hi, Suzanne. I've spent my life in the care of dogs as a veterinary assistant, a breeder, a groomer and the proud "doggie mom" of 2 very old dogs. As such, I understand the dilema that you face in trying to find a suitable food that your old friend can easily chew, digest and most importantly that she will eat. There may be several factors to consider. As you probably already know, the more mature "babies" have very delicate digestive systems so it helps to introduce new foods a little at a time by mixing with her usual food to avoid upsetting her stomach. Also, the canned commercial variety dog foods tend to be high in salt and protein. This puts a lot of stress on her kidneys which function less efficiently as she ages and can pose a very serious health risk to her. I feel it is very important that you consult with her veterinarian before changing to another food, be sure that her lack of appetite is not the symptom of an underlying health problem and follow the Dr's instructions. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #8  
it's always something

Thanks for the advice!! That makes sense, I hadn't thought of it in that depth. I'll make an appt with the vet and see what they can recommend. I worry about her constantly, she's definitely my baby
Old 04-27-2004, 01:28 PM   #9  
Coop class of '82

How about mixing pumpkin in her food? My doggie is getting older and has trouble with constipation and I read several places during my research to add pumpkin to his food. Not that your baby has constipation necessarily, but the pumpkin definately makes the regular food more palatable. For tiny dogs, a scant tablespoon should do it. My Bingley McBounce has done MUCH better and he begs for the pumpkin.
Closed Thread