General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #1  
Thursday Lady

Angry Oprah contest in TX

Is anyone out there doing the KHOU contest to win a trip to Oprah's show????? If so, I missed today's show and don't know the "Tuesday Clue of the Day."
Would someone tell me what it was. Please!!!

tina
Old 11-07-2003, 10:00 AM   #2  
Thursday Lady

Unhappy

Well, either no one was doing the contest---or---no one wanted to share their info. That's okay. I tried watching all of Oprah + commercials yesterday and never saw the "word."

Hope someone out there did and signed up to win.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #3  

Tina...I live in NC..and they showed the word at 4:57!..the word for yesterday 11-6 was EXCITEMENT..Also I think on tuesday it was JOY..and they also showed that really late like 4:53?..Guess today is our last try..I will come back and post todays for you..just in case you miss it!..Wouldn't it be great to be able to go to an Oprah show...I love her...BUT for it to be the Christmas show would be a dream come true!

Even though I live in a different state...I am pretty sure it is a national thing?..Wonder if someome from each state wins OR if only one person wins?..I tried to click on read rules on my local TV website where you have to enter...but could not get it to come up?..Kim in NC
Old 11-07-2003, 02:30 PM   #4  
Thursday Lady

Kim,
Thank you , thank you, thank you for yesterday's clue. (I couldn't use Tuesday's word, but thank you anyway.)
From what I read in the rules, it's being held by the Belo Corp. I know that they own lots of stations around the country. Maybe yours is owned by Belo, also.

I see you are from Raleigh. My husband and I went through there in June. We were going to a coastal community and that was the nearest airport. We took a few minutes and drove downtown. It's a very pretty place.

Thanks again.
Good luck to both of us!!!!!
Tina
Old 11-07-2003, 05:14 PM   #5  

Tina ..I am such a dummy...I got my eyes glued to a silly LOVE movie on cable..and before I realized it ..it was 4:40..so I quickly turned it to Oprah...and I never seen the clue?..I guess they showed it early today?..I am sorry. Maybe you got a chance to see it....

Yes I think we have a beautiful city and a beautiful state. We have lots of positives in our area. The weather is a little of both worlds...beautiful warm summers...yet we sometimes get some snow; mainly in January. We have the beautiful mountains and the beaches. Our crime rate is not that bad. And generally NC people are very friendly. So anytime you feel the urge to venture out....come visit NC. Lots of GOOD food too!

Kim in NC
Old 11-07-2003, 05:40 PM   #6  
Thursday Lady

Hi kim,
I've been watching it almost the whole time and haven't seen it either. Hmmm.....
I've neer thought much of Russell Crowe but really enjoyed listening to him. Sorry you missed him.
Tina
Old 11-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #7  
Thursday Lady

Unhappy

Kim,
I'm sorry, I guess I missed the clue, too.

Have you ever been to Texas? If not, please come.
There's high humidity where we live and some visitors can't stand it. I would love to have more snow. We have a good snow once every 7 years! However, we don't have to worry about really cold weather as it rarely gets below freezing more than once or twice a year.
Our food is great. There's nothing like fried shrimp, fried corn bread and baked beans. Of course, all the fried stuff is unhealthy now.
Have a good weekend.
Tina
Old 11-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #8  

Tina..oh-well ..at least we got a couple of entries in..you never know?

I had a three hr lay over in Texas last October on my way home from Hawaii. Unfortunately it was at 5 am so it was not a good time to hail a cab and do some looking around...had it been during the day..I could have. I would love to go to maybe San Antonio. I have a good friend from College (older friend) who used to own a big farm (many many acres) in San Antonio. Her husband was in to oil drilling. They sold and moved to Southern Pines which is a very ritzy golf retirement city in NC. But she so loved TX. She often talked about it. It is on my list of places to visit. If you could suggest one area that is a must see..where would it be and why?

Their is nothing healthy about barbeque pig, fried chicken, home-made mashed potatoes, buttermilk biscuits, country style steak and gravy and gool ol' cold sweet tea....but it taste yummy!..Guess that is why I frequent this site huh?..Kim in NC
Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 PM   #9  
Thursday Lady

Kim, You are making me hungry and it's 9:00.
I must say that I've never had barbequed pig and don't think I'd ever try it. I guess you had that in Hawaii. Never been there!

I am partial to Houston since that's where we live.
You have NASA just down the road. And, the beach is only 45 minutes away. You can build sandcastles or surf (albeit not great waves most of the time) or just eat great seafood.
Houston has great sports teams for every season. The Rockets basketball have a brand new stadium. So do the football team, Texans. People are very friendly. Come on down.

Tina
Old 11-08-2003, 03:57 PM   #10  

Houston sounds great!...Just may have to visit one day. So what is the average temp in Houston this time of the year?

Cann't believe you have never had/tried barbeque pork..Yes I did have it in Hawaii. But it is a staple here in the south..especially NC. It is extremely TASTY!..I know that it does not sound good...but believe me IT IS!..Their are several pork cooking contest all over the state year round. The pig is roasted most of the time almost all night and day..cooked very slow for tenderness and seasoned all types of ways. My fav is barbeque..I like it a little spicy!...Then it is pulled off the bone and minced into very fine shreads and more sauce is added. It is mainly eaten with coleslaw, boiled potates, and hush puppies..Do you know what hush puppies are?...I won't tell you now..because I am curious to know? We even have a franchise in the south called Smithfield Barbeque. It is so yummy!..Very high in colesterol and very bad for me I know!..I only indulge maybe once a month at the most.

It is also very common in the southern states for wedding couples to have a "Pig Pikkin" as their rehearsal dinner. Funny how differenct states have different traditions. We are also big on seafood in the south...especially the coastal area. I love seafood ..especially salmon and shrimp.

Wonder what's good in CHICAGO?..Hope one of the two of us finds out!
Old 11-08-2003, 04:39 PM   #11  
Thursday Lady

Talking

We don't barbeque pig in TX. We stick to our beef and chicken.
I think that the old President Bush is partial to pork rinds.
Of course, I know what hush puppies are.
We love our Mexican food. Lots of states try to fix it but don't know how. We ate some in California recently and it was the pits.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:21 PM   #12  

If you want to go see Oprah, just write or call for tickets. The tickets are free, and you might be able to find good airline deals online somewhere. You can probably also find a decent hotel that isn't too pricey if you do a bit of research.

While not a free vacation, it could be a very affordable trip.

FYI, the Oprah show goes on hiatus in the summer months.

:-)
Closed Thread