General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Worried for Friend

My friend and her family are being lured into a religious group that is really a cult. They are neighbors so we are getting a front row seat to the madness.

From what I've read and also seen IRL, they are heading towards Inevitable, Eventual and Sudden hurt.

They don't really see us anymore as I think they have been "warned" about me. (Because I won't join and ask too many questions I think!)

She posts stuff about the Organization on FB in the group's lingo and it turns my stomach. I know her really well and can tell that she's doing more posting in direct proportion to how much she is getting negative feedback about it. So in a weird way it's a good sign (more people are fighting this and for this family), but it still makes me cringe!

Am all "What will happen to this family??" and "What can I do now??" (I've tried everything, and short of spiriting them away on a three week cruise and hiring an exit counselor, I'm out of ideas). Lost two night's sleep worrying!! Even though the fallout might not be years/decades from now.

Sorry for the bizarre post. Anyone else gone through something like this??

Last edited by Inkrid; 03-22-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I guess the first question to ask yourself is, is it a cult or just a religion that's a bit left of center? You know? Like, there are several churches that are in direct conflict with my own morals and values, and then there are organizations that want you to stop seeing your family and sign over all your assets.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #3  

It's the Jehovah's Witnesses. If you look it up and talk with ex members, it's not good. If you are in a family of Witnesses and you say "This isn't for me" you'll be shunned from the family. And they don't take full blood transfusions. My issue is the brainwashing and control that's going on. Believe me, I am very comfortable with "out there" things.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Unfortunately, JH's are relatively common and aren't considered by most a cult
If you're good friends to them, be present in case they need help but don't critisize- if you meddle to much, they'll resent you and distance themselves. That is the only way you can help, people have the right to choose their own lifestyle.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #5  

If you do research though, it is really bad. After the husband started talking like a pamphlet that was just so scary. I agree that I cannot meddle in a direct way. Just be there for them. Hopefully it's just a phase. A twenty year phase at most LOL.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #6  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Its hard but sometimes you just have to let it go. I have an old work friend who has been JH for a long time, since before we met, and she's very smart, intelligent, and rational, but she belongs to this weird religion. It just is what it is. I think its worse for children than adults, because kids don't get a choice.

But at least it's not Scientology. then I would tell you to be worried.
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote