General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default PlusIsEqual

What does everyone think of the new PlusIsEqual commercial by Lane Bryant? It is soooooo sexy but I love it.

http://youtu.be/uZLV-mRVfOI
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I don't like it. It does matter what size you are if you don't want to be/feel comfortable with the size you are. Otherwise, the rest is fine. But don't tell me being 281lbs doesn't matter if I don't wanna be 281lbs and am struggling enough with all that that emotion entails.

It's a bad message.

Last edited by IanG; 09-16-2015 at 11:32 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #3  

Lol I hardly doubt that this ad is trying to convince anyone to be obese or overweight. But the truth is that there are a lot of overweight women in this world who hate themselves and their bodies. Self love should be encouraged and available to everyone.

You want to know what is a bad message? Victoria's Secret. Why should those skinny *****es be the only ones feeling good in their underwear? I know that my fitness, nutrition and weight loss can only be attributed to the fact that I love and value myself. Change comes from a place of self value, it does not come from denigrating ourselves and hating our bodies.

These women are sexy, beautiful, and strong. It's a strong message of confidence as opposed to a misogynistic ad of a skinny woman rolling around the sand in her skivvies for the mere pleasure of men. If this is not the kind of beauty you want to see then just wait 20 secs and normal skinny people advertising will resume in full force.

Last edited by Palestrina; 09-17-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

As a woman, I love the ad, Palestrina!
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

The fact of the matter, though, is if you don't like something about yourself then change it. Don't kid yourself that it's OK if you are not OK with it. And the messaging in the ad just reinforces that it's OK to be big. But say a lady is not happy with being big? Fat or thin. Married or single. Up or down. It's only OK if you are happy with the way you are. If not, it's not OK.

We are not trees. If we do not like where we are, then move.

Last edited by IanG; 09-17-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
And the messaging in the ad just reinforces that it's OK to be big.
You really think that a large woman on your television will cause women everywhere to run out and eat hamburgers? You really think that someone out there is saying "oh good, now I don't have to lose any weight because it's ok to be fat!" It's a ridiculous notion and it's always a man who brings up this issue. Men don't have to deal with the type of scrutiny that women do about their bodies and their beauty, therefore I can see how it is difficult for you to understand the challenges that a woman faces in regards to her self esteem. This ad is about opening one's mind to the concept of beauty. I as a woman feel empowered by this ad. I'm not feeling any desire to scarf down a doughnut.

Liking myself, respecting my body as it is and feeling beautiful does not mean that I don't want a better tomorrow for myself. The changes that have happened in my life (making peace with food, losing weight, getting fit) are all because I finally allowed myself to feel beautiful as I am. I don't need to dislike myself in order to lose weight. I don't need to hate fat to lose fat. What I need is a positive approach, by looking in the mirror and appreciating my body as it is now.

Maybe we are trees. We need to be nurtured and watered in order to grow, not shamed and hidden from the sunlight.

Last edited by Palestrina; 09-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

Not at all. But why not say it's OK to be you rather than it's OK to be a plus size?

It's too easy for people (and I count myself in this) to make excuses about the way they are to justify their own unhappiness and that is what I am getting at.

I was fat for 2 decades and constantly heard from friends and family that that was OK because of this and that. But I really was not happy with the way I was. So I changed. But it took 2 decades, partly because of all the noise I was surrounded by. What a waste of time.

You don't have to be happy with your body image. And if you are not. Then change it.

Quote:
Men don't have to deal with the type of scrutiny that women do about their bodies and their beauty
And this is just wrong and ridiculous.

Last edited by IanG; 09-17-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #8  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I think it still has a lot of the same issues as all other models, including VS. It's okay to be plus size as long as you are pretty, proportioned, have a thin face and no visible cellulite. Even though they are plus size, all those women have tiny waists and big busts and butts, perfect skin, etc.

It's a step, but we're not quite there yet.

Also, apparently Lane Bryant is selling a tshirt with "#PlusIsEqual" on it, but they don't make it to fit their entire size audience. PR fail.

Last edited by nonameslob; 09-17-2015 at 01:53 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post

It's too easy for people (and I count myself in this) to make excuses about the way they are to justify their own unhappiness and that is what I am getting at.

You don't have to be happy with your body image. And if you are not. Then change it.

And this is just wrong and ridiculous.

Taking pride in oneself does not require someone to make excuses for their unhappiness. If I feel unhappy my FAT has nothing to do with it. On the contrary I think people hide all kinds of issues behind their fat.

If I was skinny I'd be able to get a boyfriend.
If I was skinny I'd have more friends.
If I was skinny I'd be promoted at work.
If I was skinny I'd have more self confidence.
If I was skinny I'd be happier.

The self loathing that a fat person is urged to endure is imaginary. Enough is enough. I have plenty of skinny friends that can't get a boyfriend, can't hold down a good job, and suffer major bouts of depression. Yet fat people live in a bubble with a carrot dangling in front of them waiting for their lives to begin when they get thin.

The same drive that gets me out to my zumba classes and to eat a nutritious dinner is the same drive that propels me to embrace the beauty that I have now. Losing weight is a way for me to get healthier, breathe better, move easier and that's it. It does not grant me better self esteem, the only way we can change our self esteem is by changing what we think of ourselves and you don't have to lose weight to do that. Change your mind and change your life. And then in turn our self esteem guides us through the process of becoming healthier.

I'm sure that being an obese man comes with challenges that I can't understand. I would never diminish that or pretend to know what it's all about, though I do sympathize. On the other hand, I believe that women are grossly misrepresented and unfairly treated in the media in a way that no man - fat or thin - has ever had to deal with. Misandry cannot compare to the levels of misogyny we have to endure.

http://www.upworthy.com/5-minutes-of...oes-to-women-8
Old 09-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
I think it still has a lot of the same issues as all other models, including VS. It's okay to be plus size as long as you are pretty, proportioned, have a thin face and no visible cellulite. Even though they are plus size, all those women have tiny waists and big busts and butts, perfect skin, etc.

It's a step, but we're not quite there yet.

Also, apparently Lane Bryant is selling a tshirt with "#PlusIsEqual" on it, but they don't make it to fit their entire size audience. PR fail.
What do you want to see? Pimples and cellulite? I don't feel like I need to see someone unattractive in order to feel represented in the media. I would be inclined to agree with you but I think this is a positive step in the right direction - and that direction means broadening our image of what women look like. It doesn't mean getting rid of the beauty industry in its entirety.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:51 AM   #11  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 294/195/165

Height: 5'4.5

Yikes! You should take a read through your posts here Palestrina... you do not sound happy or content AT ALL! If calling Victotia secret models skinny *itches is acceptable then fat *itches is acceptable. These women went in for the same sexual attention any other company would. Everything you've stated is the reason I am not a fan of these plus size campaigns. If it really was to help others love themselves then why are you lashing out at everyone that is not a fan. If you love you no other opinion should effect you. These females are wearing heavy duty shape wear the camera focusing on the breasts to hold male attention the shots are short and slowed down so that we can not see that "fat and giggle" they claim to love and accept in themselves. 6' women in 4" heels with spanx and movie magic.... I think A LOT of women and men have been duped my this "plus is equal" you being on of them.

I keep seeing over and over large women thinking that since an ad is out with someone holding a few extra pounds that everyone has to love it. The world does not work like this. And no NOT EVERY MAN AND WOMEN will find them attractive and some will genuinely be repulsed. And that's wear folks that genuinely love their thickness whatever size they are raise to the top and don't attack others but can be understanding that not everything is for everyone. But over and over and others like yourself lash out attacking everyone. Arguing weird stuff that no one has even mentioned... you need to reread what you have said look at how you lashed out at skinny women then men.... it maybe hard to see but there is a large chip forming and it is best to start buffing it out now. Or don't and be that big girl that expects to never be offended/shamed but think's she can do it to others! Reinforcing the insecurities that are still there n may always be there for everyone else to see. In the end the actions speak on real self acceptance and self love.. not regurgitating what some marketing company has decided to take mainstream by sexualizing chubby 6'something females!

Last edited by Diamondonalandmine; 09-18-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Diamondonalandmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #12  

I shouldn't have said "skinny *****es" but that's about all you're right about. I was referring to the fact that we only ever see thin women on television in physical positions of submission such as VS models rolling around in bedsheets and such. Nothing against the women themselves.

I didn't attack anyone specifically or generally. I said men do not suffer the same scrutiny that women do - that's a fact, not an attack. Actually Diamond, you're the only one who singled out someone for a personal attack. I'm merely arguing my stance on an issue, if IanG felt attacked he could stand up for himself but I doubt he feels that way.

I saw lots of jiggling honestly, on all their body parts. Let's debate this issue and not focus on personal attacks, you don't know me and therefore have no place to say that I have a chip on my shoulder, which is just mean spirited and in no way connected to the points I am making.

Last edited by Palestrina; 09-18-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

Maybe it's me, but I saw it as a little pandering. Like, "Oh, you're plus size, that's right, of course you're equal to the rest of us, sweetheart!" I also don't like the jiggly breasts. Again, totally me.

I think it would have been more powerful to have women of all sizes, ages and races (but all gorgeous and powerful, of course!) strut their stuff in rocking outfits. And then just the store name.

I did like that the commercial had a decidedly Valkyrie women feel!

Last edited by Inkrid; 09-18-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkrid View Post
Maybe it's me, but I saw it as a little pandering. Like, "Oh, you're plus size, that's right, of course you're equal to the rest of us, sweetheart!" I also don't like the jiggly breasts. Again, totally me.

I think it would have been more powerful to have women of all sizes, ages and races (but all gorgeous and powerful, of course!) strut their stuff in rocking outfits. And then just the store name.

I did like that the commercial had a decidedly Valkyrie women feel!
Valkyrie feel, exactly, well put! It would be nice to have women of all ages in the ad but as far as different sizes go that wouldn't make too much sense because this is an ad for plus size clothing after all, I don't particularly like Lane Bryant clothing myself but there are times that I need to find an article of clothing quickly and can only find clothes that fit me in this store.

As far as the jiggling goes I think it's something that is a part of the life of a bigger woman. Just last night I was in a Zumba class and as usual I was the largest person there. I was wearing all the right items of clothing, sturdy bra, athletic pants and yet I was still a jiggle fest. I'd be lying if I said I felt good about it but it can't be helped, my belly, my boobs and my thighs jiggle. I still tried to dance the best I could though even though it is inevitable that some people will be "repulsed" by me.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

Been there! Have actually had a woman come up to me and say I was flopping and jiggling everywhere once!!! I was all, "Thank you for telling me, but as I'm wearing all the right equipment, there's not a whole lot I can do. See you next class!" Then I totally mind ****ed her by wearing TWO sports bras so I didn't jiggle enough to complain about, and then cattily told some other ladies "Last class so and so said I jiggle, can you believe that?!" They were all "*GASP*! and gave her major side-eye. NOT my finest social moment, but that is why I didn't dig the ad!! LOL

Last edited by Inkrid; 09-18-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote