General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Nice People. :)

The past week has been very rough for me emotionally, I guess. I am doing an internship at a homeless shelter for a class. It's really important to me. They were having an event that I was very much looking forward to going and supporting, and didn't get to go due to my car dying on me. I'm emotionally vested in this internship site and I was really looking forward to helping the community. Also, it's not optional, I need this class to graduate. Missing last week puts me behind on my internship which sucks as my time is already pretty limited.

I go to do my homework for one of my classes and the "short essay" that is on the syllabus is actually a 5 page paper with no less than 3 scholarly resources and I really should have planned better for that... I got it done, but it was almost three days of stress that could have been avoided if I planned better.

My car is still not fixed, but I hope that tomorrow it will be. Anyway, I'm driving my husband's big 4WD truck today while he's at work. It's not my nice little SUV, but I'm grateful to have wheels.

I had my 4 year old with me this morning, ready to go to town. We live way out in the middle of nowhere so we drive 30 minutes to get to civilization. I prepay the gas and when I go to put the gas in it, there is no gas cap, no place to put gas in.. nothing, just an empty HOLE! I look down in there and it's really just gone.

I call my husband and he says that has happened before and to reach under the truck and just push it back up. Uh... Yeah, I don't even see anything to push, so I go back in the gas station and I tell the owner what happened only hoping to get my money back, but she says "My mechanic is here, let me have him see if he can fix it." So, a nice older man comes out and tries for a while but he can't get it either. He says to pull around to his shop in the back where he can get under it.

He jacks up our big beast of a truck and when he gets it all bolted back where it should be, they don't even charge me a dime! It took him at least 45 minutes to fix it! I was just floored. I really couldn't believe it. I have just been so down lately and they were so nice and really did not have to help me at all, but I'm so grateful that they did! It definitely made my day.

My husband was injured in Iraq on his last deployment and his back and knees are shot. He really can't crawl on the ground and lay under the truck like that which is probably why he hasn't fixed it already. So, this man fixed something that we really could not do very easily alone. I'm going to have to think of something nice to do for them.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #2  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

but it was almost three days of stress that could have been avoided if I planned better.

This sums up University life for me.

Those people sound nice, definitely leave a nice yelp review for them, call the owner and tell them as well.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Thank you for sharing that story and I am so glad that the kindness of a stranger helped you out of a crummy situation!!! I agree a call to the manager and a review would be a nice way to respond to it.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Thank you both for the idea of leaving them a nice review and calling the owner. I'm pretty sure the lady I spoke with is the owner, but I'm going to make sure.

And, Kurisitaru, lol that is how a lot of my entire semesters go, but I'm trying to do better on that and plan ahead a little more.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It sounds like they deserve a basket of banana muffins! That's what I do. Glad to hear things worked out.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #6  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheGlue View Post
We live way out in the middle of nowhere so we drive 30 minutes to get to civilization.
This sounds like where I live!

I love hearing stories of people being helpful and generous. I'm glad it was able to take a little bit of stress away during a crazy time.
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

That is a great story. I love reading about the kindness of strangers!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote