General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

To me its just stupid vanity sizing and laughable really. I do know people who would fit into it though(like my sister) and they are not anorexic at all. If they stopped with the vanity sizing they wouldn't need to make up ridiculous sizes like this. Vanity sizing really drives me crazy and its very frustrating for a lot of thin people I know bc they actually have trouble finding adult clothing that fits them. I looked at J Crew's sizing chart with measurements and the sizes are really big. It had me 2 to 3 sizes smaller than what I normally wear
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #32  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I wish they'd chuck the whole thing and just tell us the key measurements of the clothes, like menswear. I really shouldn't have to take three sizes of the same item into the dressing room.
YES!!!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #33  

It depends. Sure we can throw out the old system of sizing. However, JCrew and other established brands probably feel that customers (generally) who have been wearing their stuff for years are used to the current way of sizing and they won't want to lose that customer base. Any change, esp sizing and style is a big risk. Easier to just introduce more numbers. I mean as long as at the end of the day everyone finds what fits. Its just that for a lot of brands, its better to take a low risk because sure many people can't stand the vanity sizing, but I've worked in retail and so many customers will only wear whatever sizes they can squeeze into. It needs to be a certain number or they won't buy it.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/168.8

Height: 5ft 2in

It annoys me when stores stock these tiny sizes a fraction of people will wear while refusing to stock larger sizes that a lot of people would buy.
aryastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #35  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
See, I can never find anything designed for a tall plus sized woman. It's either tall and skinny or short and fat.
Lane Bryant seems to have items for tall gals, no? I'm average, and I know when I try some things on there, they're inches too long!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
there are a couple things that come into play
1) Vanity sizing. Size 0 of today isn't what it was 20 years ago
2) truly petite women. I've known people who have bought kids clothes. These people aren't anorexic.

Funny story, my husband is pretty slim. He fits size S and at one point wore size 30 pants. We went to China, we went into a department store to see if we could find him some clothes. He was too big for them. He often has problems finding men's clothes in the US. Sometimes junior mens are his fit but not style.
I know what you are talking about - I take a size 2 in Canada and L in the Philippines.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
I know what you are talking about - I take a size 2 in Canada and L in the Philippines.
Liana
YES. In fact, I never had an issue with finding large sizes! Thanks to vanity sizing, I found that there were plenty of options because sizes run so large in American stores as I increased in weight. What I did have trouble with was finding clothes for people with my body type - fat Asian. LOL. Usually they cater to people who are overweight with a big frame. I could fit width wise in the largest size in NYC & Co but I swam in it due to height. This was when I was a teen/before I could afford tailoring.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #38  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori71 View Post
Lane Bryant seems to have items for tall gals, no? I'm average, and I know when I try some things on there, they're inches too long!
I don't know if they do or not, but if they do it's probably "pretend tall" anyway like 34" inseams. That is another form of vanity sizing. They call things "tall" that aren't. I take a 37" inseam. 34s are laughable capri pants on me.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #39  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
I don't know if they do or not, but if they do it's probably "pretend tall" anyway like 34" inseams. That is another form of vanity sizing. They call things "tall" that aren't. I take a 37" inseam. 34s are laughable capri pants on me.
I looked at their site and they say their long/tall is 35" inseam. That seems to be reasonable. I feel for you because 37" inseam is really long. I have a 30" inseam and I've tried on 'short' or 'petite' pants and sometimes they are too long, I feel for girls with shorter inseams than mine.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Vanity sizing...
I used to love J.Crew and flipped through the catalogue for outfit inspiration. Now it's feeling a lot like Abercrombie & Fitch and I'm adding it to stores to boycott.
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #41  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

It's funny to step back and think how (relatively quickly) we shifted to ready-to-wear from hand or home-made, tailored garments. Sure, fast fashion / ready-to-wear was a revelation and a boon in many, many ways... but so many, many people in the past didn't have these conundrums with fit and frustration and self-image. They just got clothes made that fit their individual bodies. (And of course, because clothes were so expensive, they needed to stay fitting into them -- another way that weight comes into play...)

Doesn't lessen any frustration to think about that - but it does help me remember that the problem isn't my body, it's just the system we set up.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #42  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm so glad they added the size. There are plenty of women, especially in the international market, for whom the smallest sizes just aren't small enough. I think women of every size deserve well tailored, comfortable clothing that suits their bodies. That goes for the larger ladies AND smaller ladies. It's not a competition, we can ALL win by dressing ourselves with care, dignity, and respect.

I hate how these things always turn into a bash of skinny women or brands. Blah.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #43  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you read the article, they are concerned that people that are not naturally that small will try to fit into those sizes. I understand the concern but I think that it doesn't preclude the fact that they need a smaller size to expand into certain markets. I agree with others though that it'd be nice if we got rid of vanity sizing and went to a standard sizing, like men's clothing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #44  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I looked at their site and they say their long/tall is 35" inseam. That seems to be reasonable. I feel for you because 37" inseam is really long. I have a 30" inseam and I've tried on 'short' or 'petite' pants and sometimes they are too long, I feel for girls with shorter inseams than mine.
You can always hem though, you can't add inches of fabric to pants. I am pretty limited to where I can buy jeans and such. Alloy, wrangler, gap and a few other random stores carry 37" to 38" inseams. I can wear 36" sometimes, but when I sit down I am embarrassed by how "high waterish" they become. It looks dumb.

Last edited by MauiKai; 08-06-2014 at 09:54 AM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #45  
Warrior Princess

I don't think we should assume that skinny people are starving themselves any more than assuming that all fat people are lazy and live on McDonald's. Some people are just very thin.

If JCrew wants to have a size "000" that's their choice.

Quote:
"J. Crew has defended its triple-zero. In an interview with Today.com, a J. Crew spokeswoman said the introduction of 000 clothing is simply the company’s response to increased demand in Asia for smaller sizes."
Sounds fair.

Quote:
"But Grandy said it was easy to poke holes in that defence. “When you look at the majority of the models in J. Crew ads, they’re not Asian,” she said."
In Asia there are lots of Asian models for JCrew, and there are a lot of Asians living in the USA.

I don't see a problem with any of this.

Last edited by novangel; 08-06-2014 at 05:42 PM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote