General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
As long as I don't have to go out, I really don't mind winter. Coffee, tea, soup, candles, the fire... they are all good! It also helps that we moved "south" from New England, and the winters are much more tolerable now.
Ha, this is me! I am in semi- northern Alberta. But as I read once; Canadians handle winter wonderfully, we look out the window at it! I drive out of my heated garage and as long as the car doesn't break down I am good to go!
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #32  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

For the record, I live in western Nebraska. As the crow flies I'm 10 miles from north east Colorado, 2 1/2 hours from Denver, and down I-80, 90 miles from Wyoming.

We had an early cold snap last week. Like, never got above 10 and add in the wind chill. And then, add in I spend part of my day working outside.

BRRR!

Plus my Dh works outside. Sooo, we both have the need for extra clothes. Layers, properly done keep you warm, but the amount of extra laundry is insane, since we both have dirty jobs.

Back in the 80's, I worked in an unheated warehouse, and in January, it never got above 0. Like to dang froze to death. Plus I grew up on a large farm/ranch. The cattle have to be cared for, does not matter how cold it is, you gotta get yer fanny out there, and feed, and take care of cold babies and mad mommies, etc. Tractors don't wanna start, horses don't wanna leave the barn, dogs hide behind the horse! We checked cows, for calving reasons, at 10 and 2 pm, and if it was too cold, we brought them to the house, and stuck them in front of the old propane stove in the basement, until morning. Then in the morning, ya gotta go round up the cow, get her to the barn, and pack the baby back to mama. By then everyone is tired, and cranky. Mama cow is stressed, baby is stressed, humans are exhausted. Thankfully most of the time it was a happy reunion. Sometimes it was a snorting, cow snot, I'll run your butt over mess. Thankful for good cow dogs!

Then, I marry a guy who picked up train wrecks for a living! After that, he picked up semi wrecks! Emergency service jobs. I got recruited more than once to go out and help. Not with the trains.

But truck wrecks. Yup, it's a joy to stand on I-80, flagging Indy racer wanna be's, in the freezing a** cold, for 8 or so hours, so the rest of the crew can transfer the load to a new truck, and clean up the mess. Not only do you dang near freeze, *dear driver, did you not see the lighted sign board a mile or so ago that said you should slow down, one lane ahead! * *Did you not see the 400 yards of big orange cones? Did you not see the person (me) in the hunter orange, waving to big orange flags? Guess not!* Then you had the nerve to flip me the bird when I threw my flag and hit your Caddy!

Never mind you dang near ran my b88t over!

Kudos to the state trooper who chased them down, and gave them a ticket!

I'll take summer any time! Only need one tank top, one pair of shorts, or on days off, a sun dress, some bug spray and I'm good! Unlike today, long sleeved shirt, t-shirt over that, light jacket, then coat, jeans, then wind pants, wool socks, winter boots, mittens, stocking cap. Yada, yada, blah, blah!

And then, for the love of Pete. THe last dog I restrained had fleas, and then I have fleas crawling in my hair and down my light jacket! So I wash my hair at the vet hospital with dog shampoo, strip off my 2 shirts and jacket, toss them in the wash, pull on a scrub top, and now I'm chilled because we'd been working cattle in the back and the back door is hanging open because my boss is a dip and must be MAN o pausal! Or he just likes the smell of cow pooty!

However, all of that, it was a good day! My new granddaughter arrived about 6:30 p.m.

Emerson Paige, newest member of the family! Going to see her in the morning!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #33  

Height: 5'3"

I'm hating it because I have no heat...again...and between the frigid cold and my horrible work schedule I won't be hitting the gym for a very long time.
Dollfaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #34  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Another winter hater here! I can deal with the cold as long as it is not below 20, lol. It's the wind though that kills me and the occasional ice and snow, which we are having today, ugh! We missed all that nasty stuff a week or so ago but we are having it today, blah!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #35  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

I love Christmas but hate winter. Now, we have an ice storm. Blah.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 212/149/140

Height: 5'7"

Agreed. I just moved from a sunny state in the south to a much colder, greyer place up north. Although I lived here for many years, I'm having a very hard time readjusting to the lack of sun and the cold. It's really bringing me down and sapping my motivation to be active right now. I have been struggling with my activity lately. Even with a gym membership, I'm just not as active as I want to be. I prefer outdoor activity so much more than going to the gym. I seriously need to get my butt in gear! Luckily the sun and warmer weather will be back in a few months. I'm really looking forward to it.
Veloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
it snows here at the end of October and doesn't melt until April....unless we get a super warm spell and then it melts off, rains and then snows again...so far this year we've had a cold snap, then a snowstorm with up to a foot of snow, then another cold snap, now another snowstorm with up to 24 inches of snow expected...so far about 15 or so inches have fallen and a lot of rainy slush falling too...roads vary from slush to frozen slush and ice...i went out in the yard today and post-holed my way through the yard to try to fix a broken gate....that was unpleasant

Ugh that would drive me INSANE (no offense!). i HATE HATE snow, luckily in WA state we don't get much here, for some reason snow on the ground makes me depressed.

Last edited by 3fcuser291505109; 12-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I don't mind the snow, but the frigid temps I could do without. Also, the colds that people keep spreading are getting to me this season. Two colds back to back so far and it's only December. Even eating better and extra hand washing isn't helping....blah! I should also add, since keeping track of the sun/seasons ie: Solstice and Equinox, I don't mind the dark so much....because I know that come Winter Solstice, the days start getting longer again.

Last edited by zoritsa; 12-23-2013 at 12:03 AM.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 255/210/155

I hate winter too! I'm not a fan of the colder weather and I always end up with SAD after a bit. I actually starting looking at light lamps yesterday and think I will invest in one. The short days and extra darkness just makes me crazy this time of year!
amerrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #40  

I know that I would like winter more if I wasn't trying to lose/maintain weight hahaha.
Certainly apple cider donuts and full-fat pumpkin spice drinks would help ease the "blahness" of winter time grey skies. I have been a lil lax sure, but for the most part, been waking up early so its super dark to get to gym, and generally more or less maintaining a decent diet. Therefore - winter BLOWS - LOL!

However, feels good to think I have a headstart rather than waiting for New Year's to start better habits
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote