General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5"6

Default Extra Large Coffins- Disturbing but Also Motivating

Hey everyone,

Alyssa Autopsy introduced me to Supersize vs. Superskinny the other day. I was just browsing Youtube and found the followng episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hitRUroOf0

The first 8 minutes highlight extra large coffins in the USA that didn't exist in the 1990's, and are now selling monthly. They hold up to 1000 lbs. It's extremely graphic and the show tells how the average age of people passing at this size are about 45 years old.

I know we often discuss the vainer aspects of weight loss on here, but this really brought the health issues of extreme obesity to light.

It personally made me feel a lot happier to be on this journey than I felt this morning.

I'm sorry if the clip disturbs anyone- i hope it motivates you to stay healthy the way its motivating me I refuse to be a part of this obesity statistic!

Last edited by NorthernChick13; 06-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #2  

I didn't click the link as I'm too sad to see something like that but I have thought about large coffins.

When I was given my diagnosis last summer, the 2nd thought was "I'm going to die at 330lbs and I'm going to embarrass my husband (and myself but I'd be dead)." My first thought was about becoming a mother.

I made my husband promise me that we could put it in writing that I would be cremated because I couldn't bear to have my heavy casket carried by my husband, brother, and cousins figuring with the wood, etc. it would easily be over 400lbs. Talk about a humbling conversation to have with your husband.

I'm so excited I might fit in an airplane seat soon, I try not to happy dance about a coffin too.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

To be honest, a big benefit for me is hopefully standing a chance now of reaching a pensionable age.

At my heavier weight, I assumed I would never see my pension which kind of made paying for it suck a little.

Last edited by IanG; 06-05-2013 at 02:50 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/264/160

Height: 5 ft 9 inches

This is a scary thought and I couldnt bring myself to watch the clip either. I am almost back up to the weight I started at (275) because the last six weeks have been my personal **** and I have been bingeing to get myself through the depression. I have plans to go to California in November and I wanted to have lost 80 lbs by that time. So much for that but I hope to be able to fit into an airplane seat....the last time I was on a flight was back in 2007 and they had to offer me an extension for my seatbelt....I was horrified and I balled practically the whole flight. At that time I was just shy of 400 lbs. I dont even want to think about dying early and my mom having to order an extra large casket, that is even more humiliating and the fact that I will die alone (not having been in a relationship since 2005 - when I legally separated from my ex husband because intuitively I knew something was wrong but didnt find out until two years later that he cheated on me on and off during our whole 15 year relationship). Food was my crutch back then too as it is now. My issue now is 6 weeks ago a friend passed, then two weeks ago I got fired out of the blue with no warning and then about 1.5 weeks ago I found out that my mom's on again off again bf was found deceased in his condo and I am keeping this secret from my mom until she gets back from her vacation as I dont want to ruin things for her. This secret is gonna kill me physically and mentally....I only have 12 more days until she gets home.
Missys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #5  

Height: 5"6

Wow Missy's Mom...that sounds awful. I am so sorry for you and your mum's loss.

I'm sorry if I triggered any emotional responses for anyone, as that was not my intention. The video is geared at people struggling with weights of over 750, so I hope no one feels I was commenting negatively on their weight.

Love you chicks <3
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missys Mom View Post
This is a scary thought and I couldnt bring myself to watch the clip either. I am almost back up to the weight I started at (275) because the last six weeks have been my personal **** and I have been bingeing to get myself through the depression. I have plans to go to California in November and I wanted to have lost 80 lbs by that time. So much for that but I hope to be able to fit into an airplane seat....the last time I was on a flight was back in 2007 and they had to offer me an extension for my seatbelt....I was horrified and I balled practically the whole flight. At that time I was just shy of 400 lbs. I dont even want to think about dying early and my mom having to order an extra large casket, that is even more humiliating and the fact that I will die alone (not having been in a relationship since 2005 - when I legally separated from my ex husband because intuitively I knew something was wrong but didnt find out until two years later that he cheated on me on and off during our whole 15 year relationship). Food was my crutch back then too as it is now. My issue now is 6 weeks ago a friend passed, then two weeks ago I got fired out of the blue with no warning and then about 1.5 weeks ago I found out that my mom's on again off again bf was found deceased in his condo and I am keeping this secret from my mom until she gets back from her vacation as I dont want to ruin things for her. This secret is gonna kill me physically and mentally....I only have 12 more days until she gets home.
I am so sorry for everything you have been going through, I can't imagine carrying those burdens. Please post here as much as you want or need to, my heart is breaking for you.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post

I'm so excited I might fit in an airplane seat soon, I try not to happy dance about a coffin too.
Oh, I truly LOL'd at this. You are doing awesome -- look at you in the 180s!!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Oh, I truly LOL'd at this. You are doing awesome -- look at you in the 180s!!
Thanks, newleaf!! Working my tail off and loving (!!) every minute of it!!

I can't wait to check out the airplane seat. I won't be visiting any funeral homes asking if they have my size.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #9  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Thanks, newleaf!! Working my tail off and loving (!!) every minute of it!!

I can't wait to check out the airplane seat. I won't be visiting any funeral homes asking if they have my size.
You need to change your avatar to read:

2013 is my year!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
You need to change your avatar to read:

2013 is my year!
Not until we see if these fertility drugs work, I start them this weekend! *fingers crossed!!*
Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh MissysMom - *HUGS*
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missys Mom View Post
This brought tears to my eyes, keeping you in my thoughts. Def use 3fc as a place to vent, we've all done it and it's a great way to release a lot of emotion
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #13  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

I'm so excited I might fit in an airplane seat soon
Elvis! Stop being so silly, there's not way you won't fit into an airplane seat!

Original topic: I've been watching the show too, and there were a few segments on plus sized coffins and funeral homes. Sadly, for the extra large coffins sometimes two burial plots are needed to fit them... And if you're thinking of cremation, some of the deceased (those near the 6-700 pound mark, not 2-300) won't actually fit into the incinerator... Which means that limbs have to be removed first... Depressing! It makes me sad for the families who have to make arrangements, I can't imagine how distressing that would be.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Believe me, having a father that at one time was over 700 pounds (and nearly 7 feet tall), I thought about big coffins a lot. Somehow for myself, I never got as far as the coffin. I did worry about some poor group of 30 emergency responders having to haul my fat *** down out of the condo though.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
Elvis! Stop being so silly, there's not way you won't fit into an airplane seat!
I won't believe it till I see it with my own 2 eyes!