General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #1  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Default Weight loss show on tonight!

Extreme Weight loss on tonight on ABC. Always helps to motivate me!! Love seeing the struggle that WE all go thru and that it works!!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know some people don't like these shows because they're unrealistic, but I do also find them to be super inspirational, so I also can't wait!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Much like the Biggest Loser I find shows like this to be entertaining yet unbelieveable. If only I had someone sitting on my shoulder all day long screaming at me and making me do push ups I'd lose weight too.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Much like the Biggest Loser I find shows like this to be entertaining yet unbelieveable. If only I had someone sitting on my shoulder all day long screaming at me and making me do push ups I'd lose weight too.
Ditto. I would prefer to see a show about someone who went through all of the time and effort it takes to lose weight over the course of a year. And then mainenance after that. I want to see someone who has to agonize over whethr or not to go to a baby shower because Aunt Millie is bringing her to die for chocoloate fudge cake or crying from frustration when she has her 3rd week ina row of no weight loss despite adding an extra kickboxing class each week and living on carrot sticks and tuna fish. THAT would be awesome (but I am sure it would make for much less thrilling tv because that IS reality).
Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW~330 CW~291.4 GW~285

Height: 5'4

I find this show very different than the biggest loser because it is d one over a years time. He spends tine with them but not all day every day. He teaches them to eat better and to exercise. Yes it would be nice to have someone making you do it but at some point you will be on your own and accountable yourself so while he pushes and encourages them he doesn't move in and do everything for them.
JustB1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #6  

I'm setting my DVR right now!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

The thing I noticed about this particular show that seemed unfortunate was when people would lose weight and yet it wasn't as much as the trainer wanted them to lose so they were made to feel like they failed, even though it was still a substantial amount of weight.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #8  

Well I ended up watching the show and it was ok. These 2 twins have some codependency issues but it seems like they worked that out. It is quite unrealistic though, don't they have jobs? Don't they have birthday parties to go to? Don't they have challenges they face in their real lives? It seems like all they did for a whole entire year was work out and stay in their house. What did they eat? I never saw either of them put anything in their mouth, doesn't EATING have something to do with losing 200lbs??
Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #9  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Wanna.... you are so right... in the past seasons.. they would show what the people ate and what they changed, for some reason they did not concentrate on this episode - just the dang tortilla chips LOL. I think when you are on national TV.. you are more motivated and shucks for $25,000 Walmart gift card.... I would do it too! But I am glad that I am doing for just me this time.

The brother and sister do have alot of family issues (where was the MOM the whole time????)... but that is true in alot of our cases. I think where the son talked to the Dad and told him (sorta) what he felt (I know he is a guy) that that showed people that they can do that... I wonder about the sister tho... I am sure she had issues that needed to be talked about but maybe that was off the board...

I was just happy that they did do it tho... Lets hope that they learn how to maintain (I have heard that 1 person has already gained back most of their weight - show from 2 years ago). It would be great if this show also focused on maintaining and maybe have things or people that you could discuss or talk too to make sure that you stay on track...

But It did get me going again.. I want an Elliptical!!! LOL
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #10  

Yes you're right, where was the Mom that whole time? Anyway, this whole thing sponsored by WalMart is so predictable anyway, I wouldn't step into a Walmart if you paid me.... $25,000 haha!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I did watch the show. I have never seen it before. It seemed to me to be all about exercise. I saw very little about diet. One short scene in Arizona showed food preparation but it was so short it was not helpful. I, like others, found this to be unrealistic. I don't know anybody who has the time to exercise all day. The cost for gym time would be prohibitive for many of us.
Then there was the father. How many of you noticed that he is overweight, also, not nearly as much as is son and daughter but definitely needs to lose some weight.IMO.
Interesting show but not realistic.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #12  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
Ditto. I would prefer to see a show about someone who went through all of the time and effort it takes to lose weight over the course of a year. And then mainenance after that. I want to see someone who has to agonize over whethr or not to go to a baby shower because Aunt Millie is bringing her to die for chocoloate fudge cake or crying from frustration when she has her 3rd week ina row of no weight loss despite adding an extra kickboxing class each week and living on carrot sticks and tuna fish. THAT would be awesome (but I am sure it would make for much less thrilling tv because that IS reality).
Have you seen the show "Ruby"? It's about a morbidly obese woman (I think she starts the show somewhere around 4 or 5 hundred pounds, I don't remember) and her journey to slowly lose weight the "healthy" way. It is (or was) on Netflix.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
Have you seen the show "Ruby"? It's about a morbidly obese woman (I think she starts the show somewhere around 4 or 5 hundred pounds, I don't remember) and her journey to slowly lose weight the "healthy" way. It is (or was) on Netflix.
I watched an episode or two when it was running...can't say I really kept up with the whole series, though.

Just googled her..... the tv show was canceled because she could not stick with the diet/exercise and started regaining. Of course as soon as that happened, they canceled the show (WTH--- they call it REALITY tv-- and that is the reality for most people who try to diet). In an interview with ABC in Jan. 2013, she said she was starving and bingeing due to the stress of the show. At the time of the interview she was back at the diet/exercise thing and trying to lose more weight.

Last edited by Tate; 05-29-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #14  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Oh wow! I hope that she's able to have a healthy relationship with food and her body. I feel bad that she was binging because of the show
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I watched it.

Too much exercise and hardly anything about diet, I agree. You can be in bed and stay 100lbs but you don't get to 400+lbs without having to address a serious diet overhaul. I found it less sponsor-y (is that an acceptable word?) than most weight loss shows and I did like that the trainers were less "good cop/bad cop".

But as someone who is now in maintenance for a long time AND an athlete, I think the exercise was completely overstated and the nutrition understated.

And watching this, I fear they will be right back to square 1 soon enough. She's doing 4 hours of cardio a day, that's all fine & candy for a young girl who apparently can dedicate her life to this but life isn't going to stay that way and I fear they have not learned long-term habits. I wish them the best, because they are so young (23) and have so much to live for.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote