General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Unhappy Advice Please, Apartment Situation, What to Do?!

Hi,

I am really embarrassed about this and I can't believe I am posting about this, but a couple of weeks ago this happened. I had misplaced my eyeglasses and I was determined that they were on the left side of the bed on the floor, so while looking for them I pushed the mattress over to the right side of the bed. This caused a domino effect which forced my TV that is sitting on the end table to the right of the bed to force a hole into the wall!!! I can't believe that happened! This is definitely an accident!!

SO, I don't know what to do. I wouldn't think it would be such a huge deal if I hadn't accidentally kicked a hole in the bathroom wall about two and a half years ago!! I was angry at the time and just wanted to kick something. I didn't think it would cause a hole! I was so upset that I did that and my landlord forgave me, fixed it without charging me, so nice of him.

I may be moving out of my apartment within the next 6-9 months and I want to leave on good terms so I can use him as a reference for my next landlord/place of residence. I feel so dumb right now and am so angry at myself. I guess, I should just tidy up my apartment and own up to it so when the landlord comes in to assess the damage he won't get even more upset? I should be prepared for him to be really upset with me and charge me a fee. I don't think I will get evicted for this because aside from this, I am a decent tenant. I am just really annoyed with myself and I don't know- if it were you, what would you do? Fixing the hole myself isn't an option because this isn't my property and that would probably just aggravate them more.

Oh wow, I am so annoyed with myself, I know I didn't do it on purpose but why, oh why do I do these things!

Please some advice on what to do! Thanks so much!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Relax.

Things like this happen. It is not all that expensive to fix a hold in the wall. $100 max but probably in the $20-$50 range. These 2 incidents alone should not result in a bad review as a tenant. I would clean up the apartment until it sparkles, then call up your landlord, apologize and offer to pay for it.

The tenant review deals more with paying rent on time and overall how you treat the apartment. ie keep it relatively clean and are not throwing wild parties all the time. Also issues like being easy to deal with and considerate. Not stuff like this. Things like this just happen, windows break, carpets get stained, it comes with the territory of being a landlord.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If you want to fix the hole yourself, Home Depot or Lowes sell metal patches that stick over the hole (a drywall repair patch). You then apply drywall compound (which can be bought ready mixed) over the top (a bit like icing a cake), allow to dry and sand (with fine sandpaper) to finish. You would then paint it in a similar(!) color or just repaint that wall in a similar(!) color.

Easy.

Last edited by IanG; 05-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Repairing holes in drywall are actually a pretty minor thing. I promise. Even if it's a large hole that requires more than just patching, it's still largely cosmetic. Think of it as a cut on your skin. Minor holes that are easily spackled are like needing a bandaid. Bigger holes that require more work might be akin to a more serious cut that requires a few stitches. Even so, a few stitches isn't so bad - it's not invasive surgery.

Clean up the place so you can show the damage to the landlord sooner rather than later, and just be upfront about it being an accident and being willing to pay to fix it. It's not too big a deal. I'd try to be direct, calm and contrite about it - try not to be overly emotional/apologetic, as that can be offputting too.

Any landlord who's competent sets rent prices to include a certain amount for maintenance/repair, because that's just how it is with properties. It was an accident, and it happens. And it's really a very minor repair!
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

If the walls are white I would consider trying to do it yourself or getting someone. If not it would be really difficult to match the paint enough that it wouldn't be noticeable.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

A lot of landlords repaint with new tenants anyway.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #7  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

As a former landlord; that is not a big deal. I would prolly charge you $50 if any (drywall is cheap). And as Ian said, we used to paint after each tenant anyways.

What concerned me...why would you landlord even know about this, because you were worried about eviction? Does he pop in? That is a BIG no-no! He has a right to inspect the property, but not too often; once per year is a norm (unless there are grounds for inspection before), but if your property is clean and in order, he really can not just come by any time.

And it is almost impossible to evict a tenant (unless rents are not paid). So don't worry about that
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #8  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

If the walls have a texture, rather than just flat, that would be the only issue in doing it yourself to match.

I'd just own up to it and tell the landlord and pay for it - ask him for an estimate and agree on the payment. It'll be more than if you do it yourself, but it should be done to his specs as it's his property, vs. trying to do it if you're not a handyman type. Accidents happen - it's life. But trying to hide anything or waiting until you move is a little shady. This is more than just routine maintenance, but he probably has a handyman who handles repairs regularly, so not a big deal.

Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #9  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink Thanks!

Thank you all so much for the replies! They are very much appreciated.

I tend to over worry about things. I just get nervous about stuff like this because I want to be on good graces with my landlord. I think I have a pretty decent relationship with him, and he is the property manager. The apartment complex that I live in is owned by a corporation. I also have a co-signer on my apartment. The landlord/property manager here has never done showings or tiptoed in here without my permission as far as I know. There is a "sample apartment" for showing only.

I think I am more nervous than I need to be because I once was evicted about 5 to 6 years ago at another apartment which was privately owned about 20 miles from where I live now. In my opinion, that never should have happened because they landlord was a druggie but the co-landlord or owner of the apartments was arrogant and I mouthed off to him once. My apartment was messy but I cleaned it up and when I had Section 8 (Housing Authority) out to do checks, the landlord needed to change a few things, I did too, to un clutter my mess. The rent was always paid on time and remarkably I was able to use him as a reference, it never came back to haunt me!

I have changed a lot for the good since then. I just over think things and get nervous and worry. I know my landlord/property manager will be upset when he sees the hole, and understandably so. I think that is good advice to not be overly apologetic.

Thanks for the great advice and support!!

I was in the process of tidying this place up before I decided to plop down and check my iPad, I am delightfully surprised at all the wonderfully supportive replies you gave me. THANKS!!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #10  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They will most likely just take it out of your security deposit.

I'm a long time renter and my complex is also owned by a corporation. We aren't allowed to fix things like drywall in our units; it violates the lease.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #11  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Thanks Tai!

I don't think that we are allowed to fix things in our apartment like that either because of the lease. I know my landlord will be upset initially but I think that it is best that I tell him.

You're quite an inspiration to me with your weight loss! I started at 271 and now am at about 238 (I haven't updated my ticker). What are your secrets to success?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #12  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Thank you Seabiscuit! No real secrets; just calorie counting and sticking to my plan like glue!

You'll be at goal before you know it.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Thanks Tai! I hope I will be at goal soon! I have to keep on believing in myself, eating healthily and staying active, not sabotaging my success.

Thank you for your inspiration
Old 05-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #14  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

*Disclaimer: I'm posting this before reading the other responses*

I believe that honesty is the best policy, 9 times out of 10. If it were me, I'd tell my landlord and explain that it was an accident. I would ask him if I could cover the cost over a few months (whatever's left in your lease), that way maybe you could make payments over time and it wouldn't be such a dent in your wallet? Perhaps add on the payment to your rent? Just my thoughts.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote