General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #1  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Need Cat Help/Advice

My husband and I are moving into our first home on June 1st.

We are bringing with us our two inside cats that we've had for over 6 years.

I know cats are not fans of change or new places. I know that we need to limit them to one room the first day and make sure they know where everything is. We are moving from about 1200sq feet to nearly 5000sq feet (including a finished basement.)

The problem is that we move on June 1st and on June 8th we are going on a week long vacation without the cats that we've had planned for over a year. We are moving in about 3 weeks later than we had hoped so we could avoid this happening. I've bought them each a cat bed so it'll have a familiar scent (which they have no interest in) and also cat pheromones which also don't seem the phase them.

They already don't like when we go on vacation. One is super clingy and needy when we get home and the other is mad and won't come near me for a few hours. One is 4 years old and the other is maybe 8. Both in good health.

I've read horror stories about cats not transitioning well and inappropriately marking, stopping their grooming, biting their tails, etc.

Any tips for making sure their transition is a good one? Advice? Am I overly concerned?
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

The first few days they will be more than skittish or clingier than normal. There is a strong possibility of marking, especially if another animal resided there prior. But, cats usually mark with their faces.

But ultimately, they will be fine.

After the first day or so, they will start getting curious of their new surroundings. After a week or two, they will be as normal. The horror stories are rare, and usually revolve around more than just a change of environment. Just like humans, they are quite adaptable.

Your biggest problem is going to be the vacation. If it is possible to have someone house sit (like actually stay at your place) to give them as much attention as they desire, that would be your best bet. Out side of that...well, it is what it is. But the move won't be as tramatic as you think.

I've always had cats, have moved more times than I care to count (I think it was more tramatic on me as a kid than it was the cats) and the cats always faired well. The only one that ever had issues had issues prior to moving. She's just a real...something. She started having issues because she hated having to share her attention once my kid was born. 4 years later and she STILL has issues with the kid. Oui.

Last edited by zoesmom; 04-23-2013 at 08:01 AM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #3  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

It depends on the cat. Some cats find it difficult and others find it easier. My cat is fine to go outside on the first day (even after travelling 1500 kms), yet other cats my parents had took longer. I've never had a cat that either I've had to keep indoors or I've chosen to keep indoors, but I'm sure it's somewhat similar. I think that as long as you give them a little extra attention in helping them adjust, they will be fine by the time you go. Having those familiar items will definitely help and finding them a place where they can hide or be left to de-stress will help too.
Is anyone looking after the cats while you are gone? If so, do the cats know this person? This will help the transition too.

My cat goes hot and cold on me and my partner's cat is super clingy when we come back from a week or two away. My cat gets peeved if we go for 2-3 days Don't worry about it because cats bounce back, the timing depends on the cat. Rarely, a cat may mark, but that will be due to stress or the cat being territorial in a new place. However, if they are house-trained it will only be temporary (if it happens).

From what it sounds like, your cats will be fine with the transition. They may be moody when you get back, but your cats love you and your husband. I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

I just moved in November. My indoor cats did pretty good. One is a nervous nelly and the other 2 are escape artists-so we put them in a box with a towel. When we moved they stayed hidden in my room under the bed for a day-then the 2 came out-while the nervous nelly stayed for like 3-5 days with food and water in there with him. And now he's out and about and besides his condition of nervousness that he ALREADY had everyone is fine.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 04-23-2013 at 11:14 AM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

When I moved my cat was pretty upset the first few days. She would hide all day and come out at night. She threw up the first two days due to nerves, but she could have been feeding off my energy because I was not happy about moving and was very upset. She was fine after that though.

I agree with zoesmom. Is there someone the cats are familiar with that can house/cat sit while you are gone?
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Cats are usually fine after a few days and pretty much settled after a week. They might be upset with you when you come back from vacay but I doubt they would do anything too crazy.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I've moved several times with my cats and have had very little problem with it. They may hide or go off their food for a few days, but they'll rebound in a week or so.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #8  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Thank you everyone! I think I've managed to get 5 out of the 7 days covered for someone to stop in and check on them. Already feeling better!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

My cat needs from 1 day to 1 week to get settled into a new place. If she really liked the old place, she will let me know for several months. But adjusting to a new territory indoors should be fast. I try to get a petsitter coming in once a day when I am away. This seems to be very important to my cat as she then knows that her food will always be plentiful. I left her once for 8 days alone without catsitter. She had plenty of water and dry food, but was mental when I came back. It took about 2 weeks to get her settled again. So, there are most likely no long-term effects whatever you do in the end.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #10  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I've moved several times with my cats and have had very little problem with it. They may hide or go off their food for a few days, but they'll rebound in a week or so.
^^Me too. Moving and a vacation right after might prolong the hiding phase, but since you've got someone coming 5/7 days, it shouldn't be too bad. I bet they'll enjoy the extra space just as much as you!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #11  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

Depends on the cat really. My cats freaked out both times I've moved with them all, but it was rather long drives (4.5 hrs both times). They took a week or two to be totally normal. But I agree that having someone at least check on them once a day will help. Good luck!
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #12  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I had the same worries when we were moving last year, and we also went away (for a weekend) soon after moving. (Total aside but - I saw another of your posts about the stress of closing on a house purchase and waves of sympathy from me to you -- it was such a horridly, uniquely stressful time. Hope your lender's better than mine was. Your inspector, too! ) Anyway, I used a Feliway plug-in for the first time with my boys - and though it didn't seem to make a difference when I tested it out in our apartment, I really swear that it helped calm frayed nerves once we got here. I'm a big believer now.

You probably are well-versed in the thought of keeping them confined to a small area at first and then only expanding as they settle in. I'd think about keeping them limited to one area or floor while you're on vacation, too. My one piece of advice is to be careful if you go away and leave them in a carpeted room - just based on the destruction my guys caused in 48 hours. (First house, brand new carpet... thanks, boys!)

I was really worried too, but even my sweet fraidy cat who thinks the world is literally falling to pieces at the slightest thing actually adapted relatively quickly (carpet mishaps aside). You sound like you've got a good plan!

Last edited by Desiderata; 04-29-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote