General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Red face Food allergies and living with them, advice?

Hi everyone.

I am pretty sure that a lot of people have heard of food allergies or know someone is living with them, possibly themselves. I was at an allergist yesterday where they performed skin prick testing and I am allergic to many things including corn, legumes, sesame, nuts including tree nuts so I think that this may include soybeans. When I came home I went through my cupboards and am amazed as to how many foods contain corn and soy which is so frustrating I am going to have someone help me go through the supermarket this week reading labels on foods because it will take longer than my typical weekly shop.

My question is, how do those of you who have these allergies cope with the eating out issue? I know that some eateries give nutrition facts on menus but not all do and I feel like it is rude to ask someone who works there if it contains the ingredients when there is a line of customers waiting. I guess perhaps I should air on the side of caution and order a salad without those ingredients or something that I am pretty confident will not contain those ingredients. The good thing is that I have not had an anaphylactic reaction to foods in over six years. My doctor still wants me to adhere to this diet to help my medical issues.

I know it is frustrating but I know I can do this. Perhaps some chicks on this forum who area affected by this are willing to give me some advice? Also, I am wondering if we can start either a support thread for this or PM each other for support??

Well thank you for reading this rather long post.

Have a great day!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Just a caution.... at least 80-85% of processed foods in the supermarkets contain corn but it is not called that on the label... ingredients such as maltodextrin, for example, is cornstarch. I started googling ingredients to see what they were, and was appalled. Even the very famous brand of cottage cheese I was eating had corn in it!!!

Best way to deal with it is to eat a lot of fresh produce... fruits and veggies!! Once you start getting all that junk and chemicals out of your system, it is a wonderful way to eat! I am not vegetarian but eat very little meat, and I eat eggs, yogurt, tuna, etc.

I wish you the best with figuring out a new eating plan!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It is absolutely NOT rude to ask restaurants what is in the food. Because the food industry has inundated the market with soy and corn filled food products a lot of people are having these food sensitivities. And all because we never asked what was in our food, we should have been looking at labels and asking what is in our food all along. I recently found out that my beloved hellman's mayo has gmo soy in it and now will not be eating it. There is absolutely no reason why so many products need to have GMO's in them.

So ask, ask ask what is in your food! I know a lot of people with such sensitivities and they ask waiters. Although to be honest, most of them just don't frequent fast food bars like the one you mention because of these reasons. It's easier at a sit-down restaurant.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I discovered on my own that I had a strong sensitivity to soy about four years ago. I'm also very carb sensitive and have to avoid all sugar and starchy carbs. It has been a long series of discoveries to learn where the hidden soy is. In the end, I had to give up entirely on processed food and going out, because soy is in practically everything. I actually fasted for 48 hours to clear out everything from my system and get past the effects of the soy. I felt amazing! Then I just tested things out. I also did a lot of reading to find where soy is hidden. I don't recall the websites. I just did Google searches on soy allergies and other food allergies.

When going out, I had to get very picky about what I ate. I had to stop going to chain restaurants. They buy their foods from suppliers who give no regard to what food they supply beyond what profit they gain. I only go to restaurants that are privately owned and known for high quality. Since I don't go out much, I don't mind spending more for good food. I try to eat only grass-fed meats and I only order vegetables that are cooked simply. I ask that foods be cooked in only butter. I ask for pure olive oil if I know the source. I question all the food choices. Then, once I know what's safe and can order it again, or I know that I can ask for things the way I need them to be cooked. I have been known to bring my own salad dressing too.

To be honest, my food sensitivities, as annoying as they have been, did me a great favor. I have really cleaned up my diet and I've lost 40+ lbs. I feel so much better than I used to. I stick to a simple, paleolithic diet because I feel safe eating that way. I buy only grass-fed or wild-caught meats, poultry and fish. I buy organic produce as much as possible. It does cost more, but I cut costs in other less important areas of my life. When I accidently (or on purpose) go off my plan, I suffer for it. I'm not perfect, and it is tiresome to have to ask about what's in the food, but its worth it.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote