General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Fat Acceptance problem

So, I don't really have a problem with the Fat Acceptance movement as whole. But I am having a problem with a friend who has not just joined the movement but is actively trying to gain weight. (apparently there is a small faction of the movement who does this)

I understand that she is sick of dieting and feeling bad about her weight but her eating habits have become insane. I can't really remember the last time I saw her eat a vegetable even on a hamburger. But the truth is, I could ignore all that if it weren't for her relentless harassment of my own choices.

She get pissed at me at restaurants for not finishing my meals. Honestly, I often cheat at restaurants but I just make sure to have portion control. So, it's not like I am eating a salad (though I should be allowed to do that if I want). Also, she keeps telling me that I hate myself and other fat people by losing weight. She say its like a black person bleaching their skin. Quite frankly, I am thinking about stop being friends with her but literally all our friends are mutual. How the heck do I navigate this!?
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

She sounds insane and shes just hurting herself. A persons ethnicity is no where near the same as their weight, I can get fatter tmr if i wanted but i cannot turn myself asian or african or whatever lol Ive seen the ugly side of fat acceptance and talked to plenty of people just like her, its rather sad the extremes they go too and the hate they can have for smaller people or anyone trying to be healthier
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Wow awkward, she obviously has issues that run deeper than she is probably even aware of.

Have other mutual friends picked up on this too? Perhaps you could broach the issue with her lightly at first and politely say that you don't appreciate her criticism of your choices. Maybe she doesn't realise how vocal she is being. If a friendly word doesn't change her ways then maybe you'll need to take more of a stand or involve another friend who feels the same way.

It sounds like a tough one, but ultimately if she is your friend then she shouldn't be mocking your choices in any way, especially if you are not reciprocating with the remarks!

Good luck, I hope you can salvage the friendship.
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I think this is perhaps a situation where distance may be the answer! It sucks to lose a friend, but you aren't going to change her and no way in heck do you need someone like that in your ear!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/140

Height: 5.4

Get away from her and be sure to tell her why you are doing it. She isn't healthy (in mind) i mean......
Ellemphriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm just worried about the group dynamic I guess. She is somewhat subdued around the rest of our friends but I think she directs this at me because we do both have weight problems. Most of our friends range from thin to slightly chubby. We are the biggest of the group and she has always been the biggest.

I probably won't do anything but stop hanging out with her alone. I mean not inviting her to group outings will cause more problems than its worth.

Thanks for letting me vent!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #7  

I decided a few months back that toxic people have to be out of my life at least for the time being. And *I* get to be the judge of what I consider toxic.

Your health is important to you and you have made amazing progress in your weightloss efforts (congrats!!). The stress she adds to your life isn't on your diet plan.

Just because we distance ourselves from toxic people doesn't mean that we don't love them. It just means we love ourselves first and that's the order it should be. Good luck, I hope you find something that works out for you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/140

Height: 5.4

Do what you can to protect your courageous try to a healthier life. Remove her from your intimate environment because such people can and might eventually pull (damn foreign language) you down with them. I don't mind what she is doing for herself. That's her prerogative. But what she is trying to do to you, can 'border' to abusive.....

Last edited by Ellemphriem; 04-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Ellemphriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post
I'm just worried about the group dynamic I guess. She is somewhat subdued around the rest of our friends but I think she directs this at me because we do both have weight problems. Most of our friends range from thin to slightly chubby. We are the biggest of the group and she has always been the biggest.

I probably won't do anything but stop hanging out with her alone. I mean not inviting her to group outings will cause more problems than its worth.

Thanks for letting me vent!
that would be my solution. Don't be confrontational about it, but stop seeing her in anything other than group situations.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I would stop having meals with her, and tell her that your eating habits are off limits for discussion.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #11  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Goodness...that's crazy. I've got no problem with people being happy the way they are but how is eating crap to gain or judging you any kind of body acceptance? If she questions you again, just say you're not hungry any more.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #12  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I had (was thrust into) a discussion with a friend over religion. I flat out told her that I have always respected her decision on religion and wish that she would do the same for me. End of discussion.

Maybe saying something like this to your friend might help, if she's worth keeping.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238/182/150

Height: I'm 5'8"

It makes me think she feels horrible and like she is a failure for not being successful on a "diet". After all there suppose to be easy right? Maybe she just doesn't know how to let those feelings show in a normal way. She wants someone else to accept failure with her so she feels better about herself. It's not really suppose to be about being skinny anyways, it's about being healthy, skinny is the bonus! Teach her to be healthy don't even talk diet. See what happens.
Purpleray20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

She's not doing "acceptance" right - "acceptance" means letting others do as they want without ever commenting on it or making them feel bad about their own choices!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #15  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

^^^ Exactly.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote