General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm back (and where I've been)

I'd like to thank everyone who PMed with expression of concern over my absence. I'm sorry I haven't responded individually (but I will over the next few days), but I thought I'd start here with a general heads up to those interested.

Winter is always my worst time of year for health problems, and this winter has been especially rough because of the inconsistent and changeable weather (I feel better with consistent weather, even if it's consistently bad), but it was all pretty manageable until mid-January when my health seemed to start falling apart again.

In mid-January I went to visit family in Illinois for an aunt's funeral. My original intent was to stay a week or maybe two, but I ended up catching a nasty flu that was going around (it gave my mother pneumonia and my sister bronchitis), and had to extend my stay because I was too sick to travel (and didn't want to bring it back to my husband, who is also disabled).

I haven't been that sick in a very long time, and I don't know whether the flu triggered the downward spiraling cascade of health issues, or if it was just the first symptom of returning immune issues. If an immune system is like an army, mine is like a very poorly trained one. Sometimes my soldiers fail to fight the invaders they should be fighting (and I get sick with viral, bacterial, and fungal infections very easily). Sometimes they fight when and what they shouldn't (such as with allergies and inflammation), and sometimes they attack each other and the body itself (as in the autoimmune disease attacking my joints, skin, and respiratory system).

Just about any way an immune system can mess up, mine has, but for a couple years now, my immune issues have been working well enough that we considered the immune issues to be in at least partial remission.

Well, the beast is back. Since catching the flu in January, I've had at least three additional infections. A urinary tract infection, an ear infection, and a staph infection from a small cut. The urine test for the UTI found blood in my urine and an elevated white blood cell count.

My TOM has also been wonky and my PMS/PMDD symptoms have been more severe than usual. I'm pretty sure I'm going through or at least on the brink of menopause (I'm on birth control for the PMDD and heavy periods, so that will make it hard to tell what hormones my body is or isn't producing without more testing).

On top of it all (or as a result of it), the pain and bone-crushing fatigue of the fibromyalgia and CFIDS has been flaring more severely than my "normal" as well. I've spent a great deal of the last two months in bed. My body temperature regulation is off as well (also an issue that hasn't been this out of control in years). Not only is my body temp varying wildly (with not only fevers, but with lower than normal temps as well) but my temperature perception as well - one minute I'm broiling and then next I'm freezing).

I've also had a lot more "skin flares" (symptoms of a severe flare of the fibromyalgia) where I feel like I have an all-over road-rash or sunburn (or both).

Worst of all (because they're so frightening and frustrating to me), the cognitive and neurological symptoms have been particularly bad. I almost put windex on my gluten free granola the other day, my balance is off (I'm tripping and stumbling much more than usual), and I've been slurring and grasping for words.

I'm stressed too because of the costs of a new round of testing and medications and on top of it, I need dental work we can't afford.

Just as our finances and credit rating were respectable again (we had to file bankruptcy in 2004 due to medical expenses and hubby's layoff), it looks like we're going to be racking up some big medical expenses again.

Don't get me wrong. Things could be much, much worse, and I'm still as optimistic as ever. I've just been a bit burned out from it all, and have been spending a lot of time distracting myself with novels (hubby bought me a Nook for Christmas, and I'm working through the 80 free books I downloaded the first week I got it).

As for my weight, I actually came back from Illinois 5 lbs lower than when I left, but I regained that quickly after getting back and a bit extra as a side effect of the medication (not only do prednisone and other steroids cause water retention, they also ramp up hunger, especially for carbs - and because I've been feeling at least a little sorry for myself, I've been indulging more than I should be). I'm fighting tooth and nail to stay under 300 lbs, and so far have been succeeding (except during TOM).

All-in-all, I'm very happy and proud that I haven't gained more, because I've never before gained so little while being under so much stress.

So anyway, that's what's been going on. My presence here will probably be sporadic until I get more of these health issues resolved or at least brought under consistent control. The uncertainly as always is my biggest frustration.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

so glad to see you back!!! welcome!! ((hugs))

i was going to start a thread asking if anyone knew where you were....sorry to hear about all the health problems and i wish you a speedy recovery and much health
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

I am so sorry that you've been unwell, hopefully you'll feel better soon.

Hugs
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #4  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

I hope you feel better soon, kaplods! Rest up and I hope spring rejuvenates you
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Glad to see you back I was hoping you were just sequestered writing your book. Hope you get everything under control soon!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #6  

What a rough couple of months you've had. Hope you are feeling better soon. Keeping you in my prayers.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Feel better. You were missed.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Wow, kaplods. Those are a lot of health issues to be dealing with all at once! I'm glad you're doing better and I hope that you are well on your way to full healing. You and I haven't interacted much but I always read your posts and I think that you are just an awesome and thoughtful person. I missed you when you were gone. Take your time and take care of yourself. *hugs*
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

So glad & relieved to see you! Sorry you have not been well.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #10  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I noticed your absence; your posts are always high-priority reads for me... I hope things start moving in the right direction for you...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

So sorry Kaplods. Know you are missed and we all wish you a full recovery from the health issues you've been having.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

I'm happy to see you're back, but of course, so sorry that you're dealing with so many health issues and stress at once. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #13  
No description available.

I'm glad you checked in! You have been missed. I hope you feel better soon.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #14  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

We've missed you Kaplods! I'm glad that you checked in with us. It makes me sad when people fade away here. I'm sorry that you've been dealing with so many health issues. Here's hoping that a lasting healing is on the way soon.

I really hope spring is on it's way. I agree about this years winter! It's like wham, we really got hit with it in late January. Having previously lived in Wausau (Schofield actually) I remember how much longer it took for spring to come there. I still remember coming back home at Easter, after having visited Southern MN family, and we still had 3+ feet of snow in our yard.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote