General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #16  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

I was in a situation like that, last summer (although minus the part where the other person wants a ride).

I had started to run and as another person in my office was a runner too, we were talking about run a lot. She started to run with me after work and we soon became runner buddies. Which was fine... until a certain point.

She wanted me to tell her everytime I was running, after work, during the weekend, etc. It was fine for a while, but it quickly became annoying.

At some point, I wasn't feeling free to run when I wanted too. Having to call someone, wait for them to get ready, set a meeting spot, argue because the meeting spot I wanted too is not okay with her... it became annoying, and you don't want that the thought of working out becomes annoying!!

I would make it clear from the beginning that you probably won't call the friend everyyyy single time. If that cause some friction, the guy was visibly using the situation and you SOOO don't have to feel bad about this..
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #17  

I would tell him that you don't want a gym buddy. I personally tell people that I will meet up with them sometimes, but to never depend on me as a work-out buddy b/c I am spontanious about when I go and my schedule is always different (work nights).
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #18  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

If it were me I would just try to tell him as politely as possible that you're more comfortable going solo and that you don't have a regular schedule besides.

Some people do better with workout buddies and some do better independently. If he really wants to workout with a buddy he'll ask someone else.

I find that honesty is almost always the best policy.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #19  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I have a friend who once suggested that we should go to the gym together to be weight-lifting buddies. I told her that when I go to the gym, I'm in the zone just doing my own thing; it's not a social time for me. Problem solved, it never came up again.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I would be happy to take him once as my guest but that I don't have anymore free passes. Also, I'd tell him that going to the gym is "Me Time" it's the only chance I get to focus on myself and be alone and that I don't want a gym buddy or be a gym buddy to anyone. It's the plain honest truth.

I understand his plight but if he can't afford a car then he can't afford a gym membership. That's not your fault. There's plenty of "free" exercise he can do, walking/running, tennis, basketball, youtube free exercise videos.... encourage him to go that route.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #21  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

If you want him to go, but not pick him up, ask him if he wants to meet you at the gym at a certain time. If he asks to be picked up just say "I'm sorry, I can't."

If you don't want him to go with you at all then I would do what other posters suggested and just tell him it's your quiet time.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote