General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default What are you reading November 2012?

A new month, new books to share. Please share with us what you are currently reading.

I'm doing a quick read of Go Ask Alice.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #2  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #3  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I enjoyed both "Go Ask Alice" and "The Bell Jar."

I just started reading "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

You know, I've been trying to finish I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak.. I liked his other novel so much, but this one hasn't really captured my interest yet. I'm thinking of putting it down and getting John Dies at the End. I've heard about it and just saw they made a movie about with with Paul Giamatti, who I think is brilliant. Has anyone read it? Everytime I hear a movie is coming out based on a novel, I like to read the novel first. This movie looks really good, so I think I wanna get the book.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #5  
the muse of memory

Sorry, Lakilaulea, I have not read (or hah! even heard of) John Dies at the End so I have no advice.

I have nearly finished The Peppered Moth by Margaret Drabble. I tried to read it once before and got bogged down part-way through. I struggled again with it for the first 20-40 pages, but then found it really engaging though admittedly dense at times. Drabble uses an intrusive narrative voice that I find alternately charming and obstructive, but often unexpectedly elegant and moving.

I'm not sure what's next.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 98Kg/94Kg/70Kg

Height: 164cm

I'm currently reading The ALchimist by Paulo Choelo in frensh !! i'm only few pages in and i'm already loving it !!
maryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #7  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

Haha, no judging?

"Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang" - Chelsea Handler
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Still reading The Warning. I haven't decided if it is good or not. In some ways I think he could get to the point with fewer words and less explanation (let the reader figure it out rather than spell it all out). I've been rather busy the past few weeks and have not had a lot of time to read. Given the extra hour today I might get some done!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #9  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

I'm reading a trilogy by Ben Aaronovitch. The first book was "Rivers of London" and I just finished it so now I am onto "Moon Over Soho" which is the next book.

I just moved to London a month and a half ago from Ontario and the books take place in London so I am getting a kick out of reading about places I now recognize.
Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #10  
doing it for me

S/C/G: 163/190/125

Height: 5'6"

I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory and have Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier lined up to read next.

Lakilaulea: I read Zusak's The Book Thief a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. I cried my way through the entire last 50 or so pages! I've been meaning to pick up I Am The Messenger but havent quite got round to it yet. Is it really that bad?
katylil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Broken Harbor by Tana French. This book is a police procedural cum psychological study. I got the audio book from the library to listen to while I walk. So far, I am enjoying it, and it sure helps the time go by!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/146

Height: 5'7''

The bell Jar is one of my all time Favorites!

I love to reread my favorites, so I'm making quick work of A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich while I wait for Paradise Lost/regained to come in the mail. I'm really excited for that.

Last edited by Melonlefey; 11-05-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Melonlefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #13  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

John dies at the end was trippy!! Good, but trippy!!

And I'm reading bared to you and reflected in you by Sylvia day. I love me some dirty bathtub reads. I'm also re-reading world war z.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsteazombies View Post
John dies at the end was trippy!! Good, but trippy!!

And I'm reading bared to you and reflected in you by Sylvia day. I love me some dirty bathtub reads. I'm also re-reading world war z.
Awesome! So you recommend it then? I wanna get it almost solely because of the movie coming out. Plus, I kinda like that trippy genre.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #15  
the muse of memory

Quote:
I love to reread my favorites, so I'm making quick work of A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich while I wait for Paradise Lost/regained to come in the mail. I'm really excited for that.
I read Paradise Lost/Regained in a college class on Milton. Loved them both, but I required the discipline of the class to keep me reading them. If you are reading them for pleasure I am impressed. Ditto Melville: I really loved Moby Dick, and it was probably worth sitting through his lesser works to get there, but I required the discipline of the college setting to get through.

Quote:
also re-reading world war z.
I wish all zombie books were like WWZ. Loved it.

I've finished The Peppered Moth and am now reading Baudolino by Umberto Eco. I'm enjoying it thus far.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote