General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't go there. People make their own choices. And in terms of my SO, I now make his lunch for the workday so I have some control, lol. He doesn't mind.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

It's tough, because you really just want to help the person - but you can't enforce your beliefs/ideas onto someone who isn't at the right point yet.

You can only hope that one day the person realises the value in knowing what's in your food, how much you need etc. and decides to do it for themselves.

People can also get offended and touchy (even though you might have their best interests at heart) if they think you are trying to imply something by your opinions on their food choices. Only if they ask for your input/advice do I think it's ok to voice your views.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #18  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
He got an advent calendar for the little girl across the street, and I was trying to convince him to fill it with individual gummy Life Savers, and not chocolate, because she's a little person, and you never know how many calories a parent wants to let their kid eat in candy--for 25 days straight.
FWIW, I just checked our advent calendars, and it's 15 calories per piece of chocolate. According to the search I did, it's 13 calories per gummy lifesaver. The advent calendar chocolate actually has LESS sugar than the gummies.

Personally, I'm a firm believer in the occasional treat. Maybe I'd be bugged by close family eating bad stuff all the time, but I don't think anything about the splurges. Every other week, on long run weeks, I go out for lunch with DH & have a slice of pizza and beer. I'm sure plenty of people are judging the fat girl eating the fatty food, but I work it in to my calories and it helps keep me on track knowing stuff isn't completely off limits.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #19  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

I don't count other people's calories - aside from the part about it annoying/offending others, I've got my hands full minding my own plate.

I will, however, make occasional comments about the calorie contents of food to my DH or my mother (not about what they're eating, but about numbers I find surprising). For example, if we're going to go out to eat and I'm researching my food online I might say to my hubby, "Holy cow! That salad is 1200 calories alone!"
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I do this as well, mainly with my bf b/c we eat so many meals together, however I don't do it out loud. I just kind of mentally add it up just to see how many calories he eats. It's not really out of judgement, just out of curiosity to see how many calories are in different meals. I never offer advice unless asked. It's funny how little he (and a lot of other people I know) knows about calories though lol. One day he made a grilled cheese with white bread, butter, multiple slices of full fat cheese, etc and thought it was "around 200 calories".
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #21  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedChick87 View Post
It's funny how little he (and a lot of other people I know) knows about calories though lol. One day he made a grilled cheese with white bread, butter, multiple slices of full fat cheese, etc and thought it was "around 200 calories".
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #22  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

I get that some people (especially in this thread) want to be on their own made up high horse but come on now.
I'm just trying to work on counting my own calories, it would be why too exhausting counting others calories as well.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #23  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

When people did/do it to me it's annoying, so unless someone specifically asks me about something I keep my mouth shut.

Even when I prepare meals for family members I'll make it according to their specifications, but I notice that more often than not they'll ask me to make it the way I prepare it for myself.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #24  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I am so guilty of this.
I don't always speak up about how many calories someone is about to consume, but I am definitely judging them. Just the other day, my little bro and sis got McDonald's (I'm already naturally against their food as it is). My brother got a large fry and a large coke, and my mind was just blown by the fact that he really didn't even care what he was eating.

I mostly do it to my family. My friends don't eat too bad most of the time, so i don't really care.

Occasionally, if I see someone eating something without any nutritional benefits or if they take off lettuce/tomatoes/onions/etc. off their food, I just say, 'should have had a V8!' lol
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #25  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

When I was at my heaviest, my mother would police my eating whenever I was with her. "Two glasses of wine?" "Do you really need all of that salad dressing?" "Your portions are so big!"

I was painfully aware that I was very fat but I wasn't ready to make the necessary changes. I knew that she was saying those things out of love but it annoyed me to no end. So I would just sneak food around her so that I wouldn't have to listen to her mouth. I'm an adult who lives 250 miles away from her parents yet whenever I went home, I would sneak food.

So now that I'm dedicated to living healthier, I mind my own business. I'm more than happy to share any information with anyone who asks but living healthy is a huge commitment and I don't feel that it's my place to nag anyone else.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #26  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I never SAY it, but I think it.

I see large people eating huge meals and just can't stand it. It seriously bothers me now. I always think, 'if only...'

It bothers me that I think this way, and I am actively trying to train myself not to do so. It's really not my business what other people are eating.

Besides, I'll still sit down myself sometimes at a place and maybe have half a pizza with sides. I have no doubt people are looking at me and thinking 'if only...'

It's all a matter of perspective.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote