General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/169/169

Height: 5'9

Default Do people try to figure out how much you weigh now, before, or both?

I am more of a lurker, than a poster. But something that is happening to me lately, only at work, is really irritating me. I have to know if others have experienced this also. Do people try to find out how much you weigh, now, before or both? I work at a department store where about 85% of the employees are women. Once I started losing the big numbers, people took notice, and started asking me how much weight I've lost for far. I found it a lil weird to be asked by mere working aqquintances, something of a personal nature. But I wasn't offended saying I've lost 50, 75, 100, 125, or now at my goal of 133 pounds lost. I didn't mind revealing how much I had lost at the time. But just recently, some people have now tried to figure out how I weigh, versus how much weight I have lost. It's only women who have asked me, never the men I work with. I guess most men know better than to ask a woman how much she weighs. I have outright had women at work tell me they want to figure out how much I weigh now, right after I say I won't reveal that. Some have even asked more than once. It's almost like they wanna do the math to figure out how fat I was or thin I am. Is it me, am I crazy to be offended? Or are some people just clueless and rude?
TilttedHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

They're clueless and rude. I think you should tell them you'll tell how much you weigh when they say how much they weigh. Then, if they actually tell you (which I'm sure they won't, because hopefully it will make them think about how boorish they're being) you should just look at them kind of shocked and say, "Oh, my...I figured you were at least...oh nevermind. Excuse me." And then walk off in feigned (or maybe real) bewilderment.
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieMargarine View Post
They're clueless and rude. I think you should tell them you'll tell how much you weigh when they say how much they weigh. Then, if they actually tell you (which I'm sure they won't, because hopefully it will make them think about how boorish they're being) you should just look at them kind of shocked and say, "Oh, my...I figured you were at least...oh nevermind. Excuse me." And then walk off in feigned (or maybe real) bewilderment.
Haha, please do this and tell us how it goes!
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Wow! congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome!!

People ask me all the time how much I've lost and how much I weigh. I don't really mind telling them because I think it helps other women see how much variation there can be with weight. People have guessed my weight to be a little lower than it is (they don't think I break the 100lb mark) so it's shocking for them to know I'm about 15 (or 20!) pounds heavier than they thought.

People at the gym just say: "Oh, that's what's weight lifting does for you!"
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1

Wow, for them to try a guessing game is a little rude. I don't think it's right for them to do that about an issue like weight. For people it can be a sensitive subject.

For me personally, I don't mind if people ask me how much I have lost once they are close friends/family. At the moment, I just say a few pounds (people see it, I don't because it's only a small number) because it is. But I think once I lose like 10lbs, I will tell them that is what I have lost. I look at it like this: You have worked your butt of too get to where you are, if people ask, you should be proud to give them the figure you lost!

I do agree with acquaintances, it might not be as easy. For me, I'm thinking of acquaintances as people in my college class because my previous job there were only a couple of employees and I wouldn't have minded telling them. But for acquaintances, I would just say "Sure, just decided to what what I was eating and dropped a couple of pounds."

At the end of the day, this is your business, your journey and you should have the right to tell who you want and what information you give them.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote