General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default Soya and breakouts etc

I haven't had any soya milk in years as I used to suspect it of causing a few spots when I had it.

I recently started incorporating protein bars into my diet to add some extra protein. A few days after having them (I usually have one a day) I started breaking out on my chin, I don't have acne prone skin at all so it's very unusual.
The only thing which has changed in my diet and skincare is just these bars. I checked and they do contain soya.

I've decided to stop them now as my skin is really congested, I wondered if anyone else experiences this? I'm pretty certain I must have some kind of sensitivity to it now-It is peculiar though as I do eat a few other foods which must contain soya.

I've since Googled the links between soya and breakouts and there's a lot of material to suggest they're entirely connected. I used to think Soya was very healthy, but I'm starting to have my doubts now!

I would love some feedback on this, I feel it is quite relevant to me as I'm vegetarian so a lot of protein sources have soya added, which I'm currently rather disgruntled about.
I'm sure I can't be the only one who has had this side affect?
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Some people have allergies to foods and that doesn't mean those foods are unhealthy or not. A simplified explanation is that somehow a part of the food is able to get directly into your blood stream when it shouldn't. Your body has an immune response because it knows it isn't supposed to be there. You have allergic symptoms. This can happen with almost any food product.

I know a few vegans that avoid soy completely and it isn't difficult. Almond milk is a great alternative. You can even make alternative versions of tofu if you are so inclined.

There are other beans than soy that can be eaten.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

My doctor is a naturopath and I was surprised because she actually disapproves of using soy products except for tofu, miso and edamame. Soymilk and soy ice cream etc. are highly processed and she didn't approve of them. I use either almond milk or rice milk as my dairy substitute instead, and for protein supplementation I look for protein powders that are based on rice, pea or hemp protein rather than soy.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote