General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #1  

Default How perfect are you at your job?

In your current position, do you make mistakes? Are you crushed at the realization of mistakes?

I've never had a job that I wasn't 110% ready and trained for. Until now.

While I see myself extremely good at most of my job, there are things that require computer/software use that I just totally suck at. I've taken all the training and I still suck at it.

Every time this causes an error on my part, I'm just crushed. I think about quitting. I think I'll get fired. I think I've let my team down.

Is expecting 100% perfection asking too much of yourself? What's the norm?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #2  

I think you would have fired me by now, lol! I haven't had a job that stayed so consistant that there wasn't some kind of constant learning curve involved.

I work in child care and generally I have about 12 things on my mind at any one time. I make mistakes. But, I know that I'm good at my job and that I am prepared and well trained to handle most anything. I have no doubts about that.

I suppose if your computer issues were causing finacial problems or really messing up some part of the business then maybe you should be concerned. But, it sounds like you know where your weakness is and I doubt that you would let it become a real problem.

Maybe the program you're using just sucks. I had a job as a receptionist once where the computer programs they used were just so friggin outdated and lame. Could that be the issue?

It sounds like it's causing you self doubt and that you feel like you're failing, but it doesn't sound like you need to worry about getting fired. Maybe you're just being really hard on yourself.

It does suck to have worries about job security. Is there anyone at work you can talk to about this just to settle your nerves?
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #3  
Warrior Princess

I'm very good at what I do. My boss has told me I'm worth every penny and would never let me quit. I'm proud of that.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #4  

Yes, it happens to me all the time, but nobody’s perfect so do not be afraid to commit mistakes. What is important is you learn from your past mistakes and take note of them so it won’t happen again. Also, as long as you perform your duties well and you abide by the company rules and regulations, I don’t personally think minor errors will get you fired out.
iyah0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #5  

Gogirl, YES, our computers are about 10 years old. TEN years! We're a non-profit spin off branch of the Y. Our parent Y gets all the good stuff and we, like the redheaded step child get the garbage after asking months for replacements.

Add to it that the old software sucked but I learned it enough to be OK. Now, we have a new CEO and new software. At least I had more training this time, but not enough. I can do everything I was trained to do. Throw me a curve ball, I try to enter the info and an hour later (literally) I still haven't entered anything correctly.

I just don't know how to do it.

The problem is, I've asked for help 100 times. They are sick and tired of helping me. My assistant, who is not directly responsible to me, we're more like partners, is a whiz on the computer. So to save time, I just give those quirky computer entries to her. She complained. Her boss, who used to be my boss but is not my direct boss any more, wrote me a politically correct email that leaves room to be read between the lines.

I basically was told to stop relying on the assistant for computer entry.

The thing is...that is her JOB. We hired her to do the computer stuff. I'm a degreed Phy Ed teacher. I'm a certified personal trainer. I'm a Y certified group instructor and an Arthritis Foundation certified senior fitness instructor. I'm NOT a computer person and I was adament about this at my job interview a year ago.

I would never tell the assistant to fill in for one of my classes and then complain how she didn't know what she was doing. However, if she asked for help, I would help her.

All I did was ask for help and suddenly, they're like, "You suck at this. Just LEARN it already!!! How can we help? Oh - we won't help you. We're too busy."

That's when I get to thinking.

You have 12 things going on in your head while you work? Once I counted the things on my mind and wrote them down. I got to 69 when I quit counting.

I have more than 69 things I'm responsible for.

And I start to think about quitting.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Can you make yourself some cheat sheets to keep by the computer that shows you how to do the more complicated data entry? One of my former jobs was creating step-by-step training for software. I would suggest something like this:

Screen name appears

1. Go to input field, type 402
2. Press Enter
3. Press Submit

Screen name 2 appears

1. Complete all required address fields
2. Press Submit

Something that clearly shows you want you need to do every step. You will learn how to do it!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Since finishing college and getting my first big job I've wondered the same thing!!
I've had my boss threaten to kill me...for putting his mail in the spot where he would put his briefcase. o.O
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Can you make yourself some cheat sheets to keep by the computer that shows you how to do the more complicated data entry? One of my former jobs was creating step-by-step training for software. I would suggest something like this:

Screen name appears

1. Go to input field, type 402
2. Press Enter
3. Press Submit

Screen name 2 appears

1. Complete all required address fields
2. Press Submit

Something that clearly shows you want you need to do every step. You will learn how to do it!!!
That's the kind of help that I asked for - in other words, the software manual. My training book was a workbook - like school work - that covers only the basics and my notes are just like what you wrote above.

The problem is, not everything was covered. The circumstances that caused this commotion was an extremely rare situation. I was in the process of hiring 3 employee who needed CPR. The CPR class occured a few days before the hiring process could be completed. I had to register 3 people for a class that as employees, wouldn't have to pay for. Well, when the not-yet employees are not in the system as employees, there was no way (that I could find) to register them since I don't have rights to enter employees. Not part of my job. So I was asking three others for help in registering them. The CFO did not want me to register them, have them pay, and get reimbursed later. The CFO directed me to ask the others for help.

No one did. And the Assistant complained that I even asked.

To add even more insult, when the CPR people showed up, the CPR instructor complained that the addition of the participants was a burdon to her in total b.s. ways.

I was like WHAT? The branch that we are a spin off of is 29 miles away. Total disconnect. It's like we are such a pain in their butt. So then I try to shy away from their help. Then they get mad when we do things differently. We ask them how to do it their way and they resent that we're not doing our job.

Whatever.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #9  

True story -
First job after college - as a twenty something copy writer for ad agency.
My boss told me to hire a helicopter to drop a car from a height for a commercial.
I did.
I neglected to ask how much it would cost.
My boss took a deep breath and said, ooookay, I'll call them back.
Bless his heart.
froggydawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #10  
Unicorn Princess

S/C/G: 168/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I work in the human services field, so it is a very "grey area" and in a way much more difficult to gauge "mistakes!" However my "mistakes" could affect many people's lives, so I just strive to do everything as ethically as possible. Of course I make mistakes, but since I am a perfectionist, it's very hard for me to take. I have had to learn that the old saying, everyone makes mistakes, is very true and not to beat myself up over every little thing.
Chartreuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #11  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I work at a department store that pushes us to solicit a store credit card; no one wants one, and I feel like I fail every time I get a "no" when I ask someone for that card. I see other employees handle their customers about 10 times better than I do; I get nervous and fumble over my words and it seems like other people do it with ease. I wish I had their talents! But I just keep on trucking and doing the best I can, and I know the more I work the more I'll learn, and the better I will get. Letting it get to me will hinder my performance even more.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #12  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny18 View Post
I've had my boss threaten to kill me...for putting his mail in the spot where he would put his briefcase. o.O
OMG...I hope you make good money at least otherwise i'd be gone.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote