General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default Overweight in the job market

I took a course in general insurance last fall and have been looking for work in the field since january. I've had lots of interviews but no jobs yet. I'm starting to wonder why. My resume must be good or I wouldn't be getting all these calls. They usually do a phone interview first that I always pass so it probably isn't my personality or communication skills. I'm starting to think it's my weight.

anyone else ever feel like that?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Getting a job right now is tough. At my work, we will get up to 100 internal applicants within a couple weeks. We will do a phone interview and then an in person interview if the phone interview went ok. Sometimes we may already have a top candidate in mind based on resumes but need to look at other considerations and make sure the peron is as good as the resume.

The fact that you are getting interviews is a good sign. I'd focus on your interview skills as well as try to do things to improve your overall resume.

Do you know anyone who is in HR or a manager? Maybe try mock interviews with them to see if they have pointers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3  

I'm definitly getting better at interviews.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I was the hiring manager for 2 positions last summer. For the people who made it to the in-person interview, I was amazed at those so many acted totally blase about the whole thing. No questions for us, no statement why they were a great fit, no "big finish" with "I want to work here and this is why."

If you make it to the in-person interview, I would recommend taking notes during the interview for a summary. Come prepared with 1-2 questions (personally I like, "tell me what my typical day would be like" or "what do you think is the greatest challenge of this role.") Use the answers to close with a powerful statement like "based on your description of this job, I am a great candidate because I bring X , Y, Z skills. Thanks to X, I can easily tackle the greatest challenge and I look forward to the opportunity. I want this job."

My other advice would be not to babble endlessly. Take a second to think of how you want to answer the question, answer, then stop. We had several people who would just burble along, past the point of making any sense. I know nerves play a part, but don't babble!

Last edited by Glory87; 05-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My favorite question (as an interviewer) to get back from an interviewee is something along the lines of "What reservations, if any, do you still have about hiring me now that we've talked?" Typical day questions are good, but the question above gets you hired (because you get a chance to address whatever the interviewer is concerned about based on your interview and resume, and thus get to alleviate those concerns directly.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6  

good tips. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #7  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

A couple more tips, take 'em or leave 'em.

Try including a professional looking photo with your resume and cover letter. Your resume will stand out from the others and your face will be familiar when you walk into the interview.

The day after an interview, hand deliver a thank you note saying thank you for the interview and include anything you have thought of since the interview that you feel you need to share.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

As a hiring manager, I think it would be SUPER WEIRD to get a photo. So yeah, it would definitely stand out!

Thank you notes are nice, but they have never swayed me one way or the other.

Last edited by Glory87; 05-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #9  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

S/C/G: 290/248/130-ish

Height: 5'5"

I never ask questions. Maybe that is why I never get hired! lol I think a lot of people are concerned that I am in college. I went back to school after my divorce, and it's just me, so I need a solid job while I attend school. I know it's a lot, but I can handle it. I think that makes people nervous.
ShrinkingPrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I don't think most professionals today judge a qualified person by their weight unless it is a physical job that requires them to be in good health. I think the fact that you made it to the interviews is a sign that they considered you seriously. If they hadn't, you wouldn't have made it that far. Only so many applicants are chosen for interviews.

In two different jobs, I worked as an assistant to supervisors who asked for my advice on who to hire. I also had to sort out the resumes according to their requirements, and for the interviews. On one job, the applicants were required to supply a photo because they would be working with the public (i.e. a good part of the job was as tourist info reps). Those that didn't supply the photo, didn't get considered at all. So while most jobs don't need a photo, if they ask for it -- give one.

They just wanted to make sure the applicant dressed in a professional, neat & clean manner. Since they had over 400 applicants for about 20 positions, they used "requirement criteria" to weed out those who didn't follow instructions -- and this is a tip that everyone should remember. Many applicants don't get interviews because they didn't follow instructions at the base level. Also, if the application and resume were messy and incomplete, it was canned. Get it done professionally, if needs be.

I agree that showing eagerness is important. Don't be afraid to ask a few questions -- that shows keen interest. Plus, make sure that you are as qualified as possible: focus on any skills, talents, education, or experience that could be helpful in that position. Include volunteer work and any clubs you belonged to (i.e. Girl Guide leader; coaching sports; Big Sisters) --- that shows a social interest that would be admired.

EDIT 2 ADD ~ Btw, if someone doesn't want to hire you just becuz of your weight -- trust me, you wouldn't really want to work for them either ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-09-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I do think weight matters - but somewhat subconsciously and more importantly, in how you present and feel about yourself - your confidence level. Don't think insecurities don't show - they do.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #12  

I think it depends on the person making the decision, it doesn't happen at the place that I work, but sometimes individuals consciously or not may be more "into" a person for various reasons that don't have to do with how well they can actually do the job. I searched for over a year, I got a job but before that I temped and did internships. I find that what helped me the most was forming that "spark" with someone when you interact with them-still talking about the job itself, but at the same time in an almost "chatty" kind of way. I try to be the "BFF" they never had lol. I was pretty successful in places that bothered to interview me!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #13  

I had an interview yesterday and used a lot of the suggestions I was given. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Getting a job right now is tough. At my work, we will get up to 100 internal applicants within a couple weeks. We will do a phone interview and then an in person interview if the phone interview went ok. Sometimes we may already have a top candidate in mind based on resumes but need to look at other considerations and make sure the peron is as good as the resume.

The fact that you are getting interviews is a good sign. I'd focus on your interview skills as well as try to do things to improve your overall resume.

Do you know anyone who is in HR or a manager? Maybe try mock interviews with them to see if they have pointers.
You don't work for Camber Corporation in Maryland do you?
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 263/256.8/145

Fun fact - appearance DOES matter. A LOT. Its just the way of the world. I have a degree in Psychology and we covered this topic in my Social Psychology class. They did an experiment where they would send in two fake interviewees in for a job interview. One was average looking and had a better resume and more relevant experience and one was attractive and had less experience.

They video taped both interviews. In every case, every case, the more attractive person was hired. When interviewers were asked about this, they came up with reasons like, "so and so was more personable and charismatic. They seemed to be more qualified for the job because of their experience." When researchers would point out that the person they hired was not the best qualified person for the job, interviewers would be baffled.

Its the subconscious. People just react better to more attractive people. It's been happening since birth. Studies have shown that infants will keep looking at an attractive face for a longer amount of time than a plain face.

Depressing, right? Sorry, I just went super nerd on you, but this is my FIELD! lol

Last edited by jj0293; 05-17-2012 at 12:40 AM.
jj0293 is offline   Reply With Quote