General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #46  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
Apparently Kristen Davis (Charlotte) originally auditioned to play Carrie on SATC but was told she was too big for the role! Can you imagine?!?! She's soooo pretty!!!!
The episode where they get together and complain about their bodily insecurities is pretty funny to me, esp when Charlotte whines about her thighs.

SJP is JACKED.

Last edited by krampus; 04-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #47  

I really don't think that men like as skinny a woman as women imagine they do. I think a lot of times we aren't getting the attention from men when we are a little heavier because of our confidence issues and not because of our weight.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #48  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

The fact is that different people have different definitions of "beauty" or attractiveness. And those definitions have changed throughout time and all across the world. What a specific person is or isn't attracted to is just that: SPECIFIC.

I personally do not like fat. On men or women. Fat is not attractive (IMHO). I certainly don't like it on myself! I have never been attracted to a fat person. EXCEPT THIS ONE TIME. Yes, once, I was attracted to a fat man. He was very handsome - WHAT A FACE!!! (equivalent to "such a pretty face") but he was short (that's ok, I like short men because I'm short!) and quite "round". I fought with myself over whether or not to date him. But his personality & sense of humor & intelligence won me over. We dated on/off for quite a long time. Distance was the main thing that eventually separated us for good. But even now I look back & am surprised at my attraction to him. And even now I understand that I wasn't truly attracted to him in the beginning, but his overall personality really made me MORE attracted to him. So I do believe it's true that a really good personality makes a person more attractive. The trick is getting someone to notice you for your personality. NOT EASY! because let's face it, the first thing people "see" is what they SEE. Unless they're blind.

I had the same thing with a man I dated who was bald. Very handsome otherwise!- but I was a very "like the hair" kinda gal. I never was attracted to bald men. NEVER EVER. Then there was this one guy... he was so sweet & so awesome in other ways, pretty soon I was over-looking that bald thing... and even came to realize that now, yes, I can be attracted to bald men.

My husband was in great shape when we met. In the past 19 years, he's gotten older, lost his hair (!!!!) and yes, gained weight. I am not attracted to his "Buddha Belly" - but everything else about him, including his bald head (!!!!) is yummy to me. So I over-look his Buddha Belly. I still want him to lose weight, for his health! - just as I want to complete my weight loss for my health. And just as I feel "better" about myself when I'm thinner, so does he. No doubt about it y'all! Fat is unwelcome in our society. That doesn't mean that a person who is fat is unworthy of loving or being loved.

And speaking of Buddha... here's a little quote for you all to enjoy:
To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #49  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
I really don't think that men like as skinny a woman as women imagine they do.
I disagree partially with this - few men would dismiss swimsuit models as "too skinny" and we're deluding ourselves to think otherwise - but I think most guys have a wider range of "acceptable" body types than women imagine. Lots of guys would say "yes" to Zhang Ziyi, Rihanna, and Christina Hendricks - even though Christina probably weighs 50+ lbs more than Zhang.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #50  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I disagree partially with this - few men would dismiss swimsuit models as "too skinny" and we're deluding ourselves to think otherwise - but I think most guys have a wider range of "acceptable" body types than women imagine. Lots of guys would say "yes" to Zhang Ziyi, Rihanna, and Christina Hendricks - even though Christina probably weighs 50+ lbs more than Zhang.
Yup and there's a difference between what they idealize and what they can actually get-I'm sure that they are happy to be with someone who they find attractive, but its unlikely that anyone would hold out for their #1 ideal partner(speaking only in a physical sense). There are only so many Halle Berrys and Sofia Vergaras in the world! hahaha
In a way I'm like that-if Rodrigo Santoro walked by me I would FLIPPP. If Owen wilson did (and if he wasn't a celeb) I'd be like oh he's nice looking, but I would certainly be happy to talk to him and see if things worked out.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #51  
Refreshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy23 View Post
IMO I'd take being fat over having a really unattractive face. *shrug*
Yes. I can lose weight, I cannot (reasonably) change my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarRomeoTango4852 View Post
I, personally, think that if you don't want me when I am overweight that you don't deserve me when I am thinner.
Yes.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 231/162/165

Height: 6'

This is a complicated question because everyone has different things they look for when they consider someone attractive. Also, how we carry ourselves and personality does play a role in how attractive we seem. But just keeping it to the most superficial, I have a few thoughts:

1. You can't have sex with a face. So while a pretty face is great to smile at, if a man (or woman) is not attracted to the body that goes with it there is a problem.

2. Let's just be real. A pretty face is not as pretty with 50+ pounds. I just lost about 44, and let me tell you, at my top weight, my pretty face was getting roundish and kinda stretched out. A double chin can offset a pretty face handily.

3. Depends on where you carry it. Most of my weight is in my hips and thighs. I still have a defined waist even when overweight and big boobs. There are actually lots of men and women (i'm black so this is very true in my community) who don't like skinny, they like curves and some softness. This doesn't mean 50+ pounds though.

So in the end, I think a "great body" is going to attract people just as a "pretty face" would, but I think we need to be real about what weight does to our faces.
daniprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #53  
Long-term maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniprice View Post
1. You can't have sex with a face. So while a pretty face is great to smile at, if a man (or woman) is not attracted to the body that goes with it there is a problem.
Yep. Most men say that an attractive body is more important than a pretty face.

Quote:
2. Let's just be real. A pretty face is not as pretty with 50+ pounds. I just lost about 44, and let me tell you, at my top weight, my pretty face was getting roundish and kinda stretched out. A double chin can offset a pretty face handily.
Yep.

Quote:
3. Depends on where you carry it. Most of my weight is in my hips and thighs. I still have a defined waist even when overweight and big boobs. There are actually lots of men and women (i'm black so this is very true in my community) who don't like skinny, they like curves and some softness. This doesn't mean 50+ pounds though.
Yep again. Even at my heaviest, I had a defined waist , but let's face it - you can't be an hourglass if all the sand has sunk to the bottom.

When I was younger, I was considered to be very pretty (but fat). Now that I'm a lot older and have to settle for "attractive" (but am slim) I enjoy the benefits of thin privilege. So in terms of societal approval, the way you are treated in the workplace, and day-to-day dealings with other people, thin beats pretty every time.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

I think that generally speaking most men would choose a plain (for lack of a better word) thin girl over a gorgeous overweight girl. Definitely not all men though...but in my experience, thin trumps pretty more often than not.
If I had to choose, I think I would rather be thin and healthy with an ordinary-ish face. I wouldn't want to be hideous or anything lol, but at this point in my life, I think that's what I would prefer. Makeup can do wonders for women!
I would love to be petite and be able to wear bathing suits, shorts, short skirts, etc and know I looked good in them. I can't do that now, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable wearing things like that.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

It depends on the guy. Lots of the men in my life (ex's, my fiance, friends and my dad) would NOT go for a woman with a particularly ugly face, regardless of her body.

My dad always used Jamie Lee Curtis' strip tease in True Lies as an example. (For those unfamiliar, here's a link, NSFW - lady in underoos)

http://gallery.future-i.com/celebs/p...ce-1/full-size

He always joked that while the body is red hot, he'd have to put a paper bag over her head to erm..get aroused. (my dad is very candid about sexuality)

I have friends that will go for the scrawniest of scrawny women exclusively too.

I guess my answer is...it depends on the guy?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #56  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
So, does being thin make up for not being beautiful?

Do people perceive thinner women as being beautiful even if they really aren't?
To some (most) men I would say yes.

Second question: No.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by valalltogether View Post
i believe this is known as a butterface. i'd rather be 50lbs overweight, quite frankly. weight can be shed. you can't shed ugly.

Trueeeeee that!!! Can't fix a face, but I can lose weight.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #58  
Feed the muscle

S/C/G: 225/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I haven't read all the responses here, but my simple answer would be a resounding yes. For men. I know this from experience. I've always been told(even by women).. you're so pretty..if you just lost the weight.... so it's not only men. We live in a society where being thin is everything Sad as it is, but, there it is. I've never once met a man who would date the fat chic over the skinny chic. Never.

Last edited by meltaway; 06-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
meltaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #59  
Refreshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLotus View Post
I think that generally speaking most men would choose a plain (for lack of a better word) thin girl over a gorgeous overweight girl. Definitely not all men though...but in my experience, thin trumps pretty more often than not.
If I had to choose, I think I would rather be thin and healthy with an ordinary-ish face. I wouldn't want to be hideous or anything lol, but at this point in my life, I think that's what I would prefer. Makeup can do wonders for women!
Until it is removed.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #60  
banned

Well, I'm lucky enough to have found a husband that is attracted to me for me, because I surely don't have a pretty face or skinny body! lol. I guess it helped that we met online and used the phone and internet to talk to each other over the length of nearly two years. We have a very deep relationship, and for some odd reason, he is actually, for real attracted to me. lol.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote