General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #1  

Default Homework Help

Ok, so I know this is a little weird to ask but I have this short essay for the English 12 course I'm taking (I took it in high school but didn't get a high enough mark so I'm retaking it, nearly 10 years later, as one of the courses I need to get in to the respiratory therapy program) and the topic is on persuasive packaging. Essentially, I have to find 2 items that uses persuasive packaging to make the consume want to buy it, either touting health benefits or something else, while not being entirely truthful.

Examples given are:

Schmucker's "Simply Fruit" jam which has mostly fruit SYRUP than just fruit (as implied by the name "Simply Fruit").

Or Tostitos Whole Grain chips that have more grams of sugar in them than their whole grains actually do.

The first item I've chosen is vitamin water. Specifically the ones made by Glacéau. In one bottle there (which has 2 servings in it) there is 32.5 g of SUGAR (in comparison: a 355 mL of Coke has 42, so not a massive difference). The second ingredient is "crystalline fructose"!

But the company uses really bright packaging with nifty names like "Endurance", "Energy", and "Ignite" (which has a label reading: "ur blog is going mouldy. 5weetie*face16 won't stop im-ing u. yup, keeping up with today's 24hr, socially networked world wide web 2.0 is a lot of work..." likely as a way of enticing younger people to buy the product) when it's just basically sugar-water with microscopic amounts (literally and figuratively) of vitamins added in after the fact, with 100 calories per bottle (why does WATER have calories?!)

That's one very strong example for persuasive packaging but now I'm stuck on the second one. Everything I see around me doesn't really claim anything more than what it offers and we don't buy a whole lot of processed food in this house. Basically, anything bad in the house (pop, chips, etc) we KNOW it's bad for us - it's not masquerading as a health product.

So - anyone have any ideas on another item that I could potentially use?
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #2  
Pinkie Pie Pony

S/C/G: 194/180.2/125

Height: 5'5

Default MMMMMMMMMM Candy..I mean..protein bars...yeah healthy...

Nutrigrain bars are basically candy and so are a lot of protein bars. Try looking at supposedly healthy things like that instead of thinking about things we all know are bad. If you need any help in your class feel free to message me. I'm a trained English tutor and taught extra help classes for basic English classes at my college.
Goody3shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #3  
No description available.

Gosh, if I picked up a product in the store and read that label, I would weep for the future of humanity (again).

I read this yesterday and you might find it helpful.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatt...ermarket-foods
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

What about fruit snacks? Fiber One Bars?
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #5  
threenorns

hCG diet.

carnation instant breakfast (38 grams of sugar!)

POMwonderful (they got *slammed* with fines for misleading advertising): http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/27/news...rful/index.htm

here's a list from CBC of their top 10 (carnation's on it, lol): http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...bels-full.html

ah - forgot about ocean spray cranberry juices.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-29-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody3shoes View Post
Nutrigrain bars are basically candy and so are a lot of protein bars. Try looking at supposedly healthy things like that instead of thinking about things we all know are bad. If you need any help in your class feel free to message me. I'm a trained English tutor and taught extra help classes for basic English classes at my college.
Hi,
I am an Indian, interested in knowing simple and classic poems. Pl suggest a book which I can find in library. Not heavy stuff, light hearted happy poetry
may be about nature, beautiful little playful girl etc. Definetely not about death.
Thanks.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #7  

Awesome awesome you guys! Thanks.

Goody, I may take you up on that offer in the future. I know I have fairly strong writing skills, but sometimes I have trouble understand what exactly is wanted out of me. I also have trouble recognizing themes.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Cruise archives of the http://www.cspinet.org/nah/index.htm

There's always a carrot/stick blurb.

Most "healthy" vegetarian meat substitution foods aren't. Talk about heavily PROCESSED foods! Morningstar is one brand.

"fruit drinks" and "fruit flavored drink" -- hook you with the fruit, but at 30% and 10% respectively, there's not a whole lot fruit IN there even if the label says "real fruit used!" So? It's 10% and the rest is sugar water!

And cow milk. The entire "it does a body good" and "got milk?" campaigns? Famous!

But seriously, we all wean after babyhood. We don't NEED it, esp the breastmilk of some other species, do we? At best it is an optional food but the way the ads go on it's like people's bones would fall apart if they don't have cow milk products.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-30-2012 at 12:00 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #9  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

The makers of Nutella faced a lawsuit once from someone who felt that they were misleading about being nutritious:

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Reg...trition-claims
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote