General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #1  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Hulu Plus vs Netflix

let me preface this by saying, my husband and i do not have cable. the $8 we spend each month (currently on netflix) is pretty much what our budget will allow as far as television goes. we don't watch very much (a few evening shows), and the few we do watch we tend to go to the gym to watch while we do our cardio.

that being said, i'm trying to decide if we should keep netflix or drop it for hulu plus. they are about the same price and both can be streamed thru the wii. we've had netflix for several months, and i love it (for the most part - except when they drop a series that i'm half way through). they do not offer current seasons of shows though. but they do have documentaries (which my husband and i are nerdy enough to enjoy on a regular basis) and zero ads. hulu plus claims "minimal ads" but also episodes of shows we watch up to the latest episode aired.

we will probably start the week long free trial of hulu plus so we have it through his spring break week (coming up in a few weeks) when we have more time to hang on the couch.

er... yeah, basically all of that was a long winded way of saying which do you prefer, and why? :P

Last edited by konfyoozed; 02-25-2012 at 04:28 PM.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/199/170

Height: 5'10"

I had Hulu Plus for a few months and didn't find it worth the money, especially when compared to Netflix. Basically, you pay to have access to episodes a few days sooner and to have new episodes expire less quickly. You still have to watch about 4 minutes of commercials per show, and many of the shows for which full runs are available are also on Netflix. Go for the trial, but if you're anything like me, it won't be worth paying for.
anna ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #3  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

I have had hulu plus for a year for free thanks to bing.com and their rewards program by searching with them every single day and going to the webpage they suggest every day, it gets me 13 points daily.
I also have netflix.
I would NEVER suggest you switch to hulu plus from Netflix. I wouldn't pay for Hulu Plus. I only use it because it's free. It's great because I can watch New Girl, Parenthood and Biggest Loser. I could also download them if I really wanted them though.
It's not worth the switch. Netflix has MUCH more variety.
Stick with them.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #4  

I like them both. I would not drop Netflix for Hulu because they offer different services. I like hulu because it lets me look at current episodes that I've missed. However, I'm learning of some of my fav shows that they don't have which bums out the experience. I currently have hulu free for two months thanks to my new sony tv and I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not. I do like the convenience of it though.

Last edited by PhillyGirl2012; 02-25-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add
PhillyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have Hulu Plus and like it a lot, but have never had Netflix so I can't compare. But I'm also an Amazon Prime member and they have tons of free shows for Prime members. Prime is totally worth it if you buy a lot from Amazon because shipping is free and it has a lot of other perks, like the free tv shows. And don't forget that some networks like CBS stream their shows each week for free. And you don't have to buy into Hulu Plus for current tv shows if you're willing to wait a week- you can have free Hulu and just be behind on your shows by a week.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote