3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Does it bother you when people make fun of "fat" people? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/251984-does-bother-you-when-people-make-fun-fat-people.html)

newkristine 02-01-2012 02:33 PM

all i can say is really?!?! two things....maybe she's uncomfortable and it removes her feelings about her to make fun of others(kinda disturbing), and the other she's the reason so many overweight people are afraid to go to the gym maybe she should be introduced to that idea. and number three karma. i also get in this situation with my boyfriend like so many others on this post. i think people just don't realize what they are saying or what it feels like. you can't make them understand it, but you can be supportive of those who are being made fun of. maybe your friend needs to be reminded of the fact that anyone and everyone can become very out of shape, no-1 is excluded from being fat...it could be her, and how would she feel. or you could sneak behind her and get video of her at the gym lmao! ok that's kinda mean...but you get the point.

Bridget Jones 02-01-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grneyedmustang (Post 4198863)
I've noticed lately that I am really bothered when people make fun of those of us who are overweight/obese, and I don't know why.

The reason it bothers you is because it's a dick thing to do. Unfortunately, some people have such low self-esteem they have to constantly knock others down so they feel better about themselves. It's dumb and in the words of the great Jay-Z, "What you eat don't make me sh*t."

I'll never forget something one of my professors said in a psychology class when I was in college. She said you will almost never see someone who is physically attractive, confident, and succcessful making fun of fat or unattractive people. It doesn't happen because they don't need the psychological boost (even via negative methods) that a person may get from doing such things.

Ever since then, I've always taken note of who does that kind of thing, and the theory has almost always been true. It makes me feel a lot better. When I get to a normal weight, I won't be an a-hole either.

InsideMe 02-01-2012 02:53 PM

It's mean mean mean. It's mean spirited to make fun of ANYBODY, for whatever reason. People do it to mask their own insecurities. I can't stand it. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. On an off note, sort of, I find myself looking at the bigger girls in my cardio classes, not because of their weight but because I'm so HAPPY they are there doing something for themselves, so I try to send some good vibes their way when I see other's smirking at them....but I hope they don't take it as a smirk also cause that isn't my intention :(

andrew80k 02-01-2012 03:18 PM

It bothers me a lot when people make fun of other people for any reason. It's unacceptable, childish, and rude. And what's the point? Typically to make one feel better about one's self. If they have so little going for them that they have to make fun of someone else to feel better themselves, then they are indeed a sad excuse for a human.

lovemydoggiesx2 02-01-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knoxie (Post 4198987)
Well if you're a 'fat pig' with only 33lbs to lose there's really no hope for the rest of us is there?! I don't get where he was even going with that, was the whole table supposed to laugh and pat him on the back about it? He's a fool, and you married the better brother!

His mother gave me a big peice of pie and everyone else a small one. I asked her why mine was so big, and thats when he said becasue it proportional, since your a fat pig!!!

My husband is French, and none of his family (besides the brother whom aslo married an american girl) speak english.

I am already very self aware of what I look like.

Do you guys ever feel its you the people are looking at and judging? I am not too large by american standards, but I am by european....ugggg

Steph7409 02-01-2012 04:01 PM

I think one reason people feel its okay to make fun of overweight folks is that being fat is seen as being a choice of some sort, unlike being in a wheelchair or having Down Syndrome. We're fat (and by "we," I mean people like me who struggle with our weight) because we eat too much, we're too lazy, etc. And there's a certain truth in that for most of us, but that doesn't make it okay to be an a**hole.

This can be a tricky subject for me because I enjoy humor like The Daily Show or the website Regretsy, where certain kinds of people are indeed made fun of. I justify it by saying, "well, they've chosen to be in the public eye in some way" so that makes them fair game. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm a hypocrite, though.

Candeka 02-01-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

His mother gave me a big peice of pie and everyone else a small one. I asked her why mine was so big, and thats when he said becasue it proportional, since your a fat pig!!!

My husband is French, and none of his family (besides the brother whom aslo married an american girl) speak english.

I am already very self aware of what I look like.

Do you guys ever feel its you the people are looking at and judging? I am not too large by american standards, but I am by european....ugggg
If my husbands brother said that to me, my husband would have ended up punching him square in the face. What a horrible little man.

baker23 02-01-2012 04:59 PM

Ok, how much weight has your friend loss? Is it noticable...? If it is, show her a bunch of pics of how she looked before she started losing weight and and point out what would she have done if she heard people making fun of her? Not everyone is overweight/obese by choice and your friend couldn't have a way of knowing what there story is.

Sorry but I'd drop her as a friend because I have no pacience for rude people. And quite honestly, if I heard one of my friends saying something like that, I'd start pointing out all there flaws(petty yes..) and give them a good hard kick about making fun of someone when you should only be worrying about yourself...She has serious self esteem issues and seems like the only way she can cope is through making fun of someone else.

I've never understood how people could make fun of someone based on appearence...ugh...
Those "fat" comments hurt more then people know but like a few people said, it seems to be the last form of acceptiable bullying. Which is sad considering how much of the population is listed in the "Overweight" catorgory making a good amount of the population targets for this s**t

Dorian5 02-01-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candeka (Post 4199327)
If my husbands brother said that to me, my husband would have ended up punching him square in the face. What a horrible little man.

Freaking THIS. Exactly what I was thinking. :yes:

lovemydoggiesx2, you're extremely lovely, from what I can tell from your avatar, I hope you didn't take what that pr*ck said to heart. :hug:

omgzitsmiranda 02-01-2012 05:24 PM

For some reason being "fat" is a GOOD reason to make fun of people, at least in the experiences i've been through & saw happen to other people.

I find it so amusing *NOT* how it's so awesome to make fun of overweight people because there's nothing else better to do right? Funny thing is, a lot of the time the people that are making fun of other overweight people aren't the most in shape people. Talk about hypocrites.

Arctic Mama 02-01-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sontaikle (Post 4198898)
I call people out on making fun of fat people. It's a stupid thing to do.

I also NEVER EVER understand why people who complain about fat people make fun of the fat people at the gym. WTF are they supposed to do, magically turn thin with the snap of their fingers?

Yes to this! It is infuriating how socially acceptable it is to mock people trying to better themselves. Damned if we do, damned of we don't, right?

Sum38 02-01-2012 05:45 PM

Interesting topic!

I used to hate the skinny comments people made about me.... I was very tiny until about 5 years ago. I was 96 pounds on my wedding date. 108 pounds after my 2nd child was born.

I worked HARD to be that tiny. -- I kinda gave up and took the easy way, and reached 170 pounds...all food and little exercise.

I found the skinny comments very hurtful; like it is so EASY for you, when I was literally starving each and every minute and monitoring each bite and working out for hours. -- If it had been easy I still would be 50 pounds lighter :D

I guess my point is, we should let people be. "Tiny" or "fat", it can all be hurtful.

Lori Bell 02-01-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunula (Post 4199042)
Would it not bother you if your friend took photos and made fun of people in wheelchairs? Or children with Down's Syndrome? Or people at burn centers who are maimed over large parts of their bodies? That's called being human.

I gotta say, making fun of overweight people seems to be the last bastion of "acceptable teasing" in this country - it's not politically correct to make fun of the mentally challenged, of the handicapped, of different ethnicities or religions, but I regularly hear the Jay Leno's of the world still making "fat" jokes and it chaps my hide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph7409 (Post 4199314)
I think one reason people feel its okay to make fun of overweight folks is that being fat is seen as being a choice of some sort, unlike being in a wheelchair or having Down Syndrome. We're fat (and by "we," I mean people like me who struggle with our weight) because we eat too much, we're too lazy, etc. And there's a certain truth in that for most of us, but that doesn't make it okay to be an a**hole.

I totally agree with steph here. People make fun of fat people, and it seems to be socially acceptable because being overweight is controllable by probably 99% of all overweight people. The jokesters will make fun of alcoholics, druggies and smokers as well. People with addictions make good targets for mean people because we are seen as weak. I've grown to except it becaue it's been going on for the last 46 years of my life, and will continue until the day I depart from life. Let the haters hate. I got bigger fish to fry...like maintaining a freaking 190 pound weight loss! :D

grneyedmustang 02-01-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgzitsmiranda (Post 4199417)
For some reason being "fat" is a GOOD reason to make fun of people, at least in the experiences i've been through & saw happen to other people.

I find it so amusing *NOT* how it's so awesome to make fun of overweight people because there's nothing else better to do right? Funny thing is, a lot of the time the people that are making fun of other overweight people aren't the most in shape people. Talk about hypocrites.

This is exactly what I think.

For the most part, I don't like for other people to be made fun of -- period. I absolutely hate when comedians do it, because I don't think it's funny.

Weight and (and a few other issues) are especially hot button issues with me though - especially because I feel like I fit the bill.

And I do think that weight is one of the "few" areas where it's still okay to make fun of people. Making fun of people with disabilities etc. - generally unacceptable. But I think that sometimes there are individuals in our society that feel it is still okay to make fun of and ridicule fat people.

As far as my friend is concerned, I haven't really spoken to her in a few weeks. I know it's a conversation we're going to need to have, and I'm not looking forward to it. And deep down, I think she's insecure about something, so she makes fun of others to feel better about herself.

Vex 02-01-2012 08:40 PM

re:

I'm going to say I think it has become more prevalent over the years. With the advent of social media, people are getting accustomed to trolling and insulting everyone about everything - and so many other people see it and feed off it.

Some people will carry that over and actively start to bully people offline too because they're so used to it online.

Can I do anything about those people? Probably not. I can, however, make sure that no one in my household does it. It doesn't make me any less annoyed or hurt.