General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Decluttering Towards the New Year Challenge

Who wants to work on this with me? I've been bitten by the decluttering bug and was inspired yesterday when I discovered unopened sheets and pillowcases in my linen drawer (after thinking for a while that I needed to buy some new ones). My challenge: the declutter an area or drawer each day up to the New Year. If you want to participate, post your goal and the results below.

Today's challenge for me: cleaning supplies and rags. I'm going to declutter this today. I hold onto old sponges and rags for no reason, and for some reason I keep using an old sponge in the sink even though I have brand new ones waiting to be opened. Today I'm going to get to through this task and I'll post my results here.

Update: I decluttered:
-2 ice trays
-1 almost empty oven cleaner
-consolidated two bottles of floor cleaner
-put kitchen sponges in the kitchen rather than cleaning closet, so they can be used
-threw out 6 old sponges (retained 3)
-threw out 2 old dishcloths
-found that I have enough cleaning supplies that I don't need to replenish for a while, and actually have the supplies to remove wax/refinish kitchen linoleum floor.

Last edited by Mmckellen; 11-12-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #2  

I am a perpetual declutter-er

OK: sewing area - quilt in progress for literally months. Ironically just made an action plan this morning to get it going.

Pantry: that needs to be organized and items thrown out/donated.

Closet: some clothing that is too old, too whatever - time to throw out or donate.

Today I will focus on the quilt mess. It is rainy anyway.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Just decluttered the hall closet and got rid of
-cards I won't ever use
-various desk accessories
-old binders
-sample sizes from hotels
and so much else. I'm on a roll!

Enjoy your decluttering Chloe! Update if you can.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I've already started! A couple of weeks ago I went through my closet and tossed or donated all of the stuff that didn't fit anymore. I've been hoarding all my old smaller clothes for a long time, but I came to a realization that even when I do lose enough weight to fit into them - they aren't really what I like to wear anymore! Plus, I get to buy new clothes as rewards! lol I only kept the things one size smaller, and got rid of the rest. So, I'm not even joking - I think my closet is HALF the size as before.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #5  

I totally fell off the declutter wagon! My day plans changed. That is OK though. I might still do the pantry tonight.

Quilting area will have to wait until later...
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #6  

I'm in! Just sorted kid clothes and have 4 bags for donating. Dropping all that off tomorrow.

Next goal is the basement. Lots of stuff that's been stored just needs to go. I'll sort that next.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I'm in, I'd love to be completely decluttered before xmas. I have so much I need to donate. I'll start tomorrow.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #8  

Welcome to the fellow declutter-ers.

I got up this morning to an organized and cleaned pantry and knew it was the start of a great day!

Lets see if I do better hitting the quilting area later!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I was working on the clothing yesterday. I'm still not finished, but so far I have 3 large rubbermaid bins to get rid of. Today I am going to go through the bins to see which items to sell and which to donate and then I will start going through closets again. If I have time I plan to declutter the bathroom - perfumes I no longer like, hair products I don't use, etc.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #10  
tiwiwas

Height: 5'7.5"

I certainly relate to the need to do this---I find I have to do it in small steps so it will not be so overwhelming. I generally do killer de-cluttering during snow days. To do it right I will need about a 3 week blizzard's worth of snow days!!! De-cluttering helps release the stress and can be a great way to take your mind off of that treat you might think you want.
tiwiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #11  
ugggg.....

I have started de cluttering myself
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #12  

Dropped 4 bags of clothes at Goodwill, plus a box of margarita glasses! I love that feeling!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote