General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #31  

I'm 32 and having my 2nd baby any day. I also have a 16 month old. I never thought I'd have kids honestly. I could see myself being a single, no kids independent woman doing my own thing all my life, actually I was up until 30. So I can "identify" with that mindset. But at 29 I started having an unusual feeling like I was going to have a baby soon. I started reading about childbirth and any fears starting going away, I felt very comfortable with my body and nature and then 2 weeks before I turned 30 met a new man and was pregnant in 2 months. Then when our baby was 8 months got pregnant again. I just feel like it was meant to be. I think two is all I want though because I'd be overwhelmed with more than that I think.
melanie579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #32  
Less of a Better Me

I have on biological child born the week after I turned 40. He was conceived through using fertility drugs and procedures (not IVF).

In my 20s I had no interest really in having children. I didn't get married until I was 37 and by then I did want at least one child. Looking back -- sure it would have been nice to have a child younger and not have had the fertility issues (having my son involved surgery for both my DH and me). But...I didn't find the guy to marry until I was 37.

When my son was born I was blown away by how much I loved being a mom (and really I wasn't much of a baby person before). I knew that my chances of conceiving another child weren't great and weren't worth even trying for. When I was 46 we internationally adopted 3 and 8 year old siblings.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #33  

I have one child that I adore. I always knew that I wanted children. I would have had a second had my husband been willing. I was almost 36 when she was born. I also had fertility issues. it took 3 years for us to conceive our miracle! I don't necessarily think that age is a factor when considering to have a child. I believe that it is more what you do with you child when you have them!
Lacey
mommytosonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #34  
I am worth it!

S/C/G: 258/240.8/170

Height: 5'05"

I'm 23 and I don't have kids. My DH and I are both on the same page which is finish school (by the time I graduate, our only debt will be the mortgage and a student loan for 1 year), work for a few years, and then CONSIDER having kids. I think having kids is definitely a choice and something to be planned for.
I don't know if we will ever have them... they still get on my nerves. I know everyone says "your own kids won't get on your nerves". I have trouble believing that! Who knows... maybe we will and maybe we won't, but I think anyone thinking of having them should be 100% sure before taking the dive because there's no turning back!
MosesMom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #35  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

1. Do you have kids?

Yes, two girls. One will be 4 in December, and we just had our second on Tuesday.

2. How old were you when you had your first?

25 with our first. I'm 28 now.

3. Did you always know you wanted kids?

Yes. I always thought I would have kids. I was really sure I would in my late teens, and when I got married in 2003, we knew we would have kids at some point. We both graduated college first and I taught for a year before having our first daughter. It has worked out really good for our family.

4. If you don't have kids-what went into the decision not to have kids?

It doesn't apply... but I have friends who havent had kids for various reasons.I think it's a very personal decision between the couple, and as much as I love being a mother, I would never impose my views about it on others.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Hi all,

I'm wondering a few things:

1. Do you have kids?
Yes, 1, 14 months

I never wanted one before I got pregnant. Could not picture myself as a mother.

4. If you don't have kids-what went into the decision not to have kids?

Last week I saw "The Help" and there's this line where the mother says "Your eggs are dying, would it kill you to go on a date?" I laughed and then it got me thinking...

I'm 27. I still don't know if I want kids. If you had asked me a few years ago I would say DEFINITELY NOT. Now I'm leaning towards yes but I feel like I should be more than "leaning" for something like that. I have never felt that I was "born to be a mom" or anything like that. In general I'm nurturing but I wouldn't necessarily call myself maternal...

I've read that the majority of women have their first child between 25 and 29. I for sure won't have a child before I'm 30 due to general life circumstances, but it has hit me within the last few weeks that time goes REALLY fast! So, that's why I'm curious!
I never wanted one until I met a man worth being a father. Still, being non-maternal at the start, not understanding the impact of parenthood, and having a difficult circumstance (my son was born with a birth injury and acid reflux disease, plus food intolerances which made sleep deprivation and 24/7 screaming a night mare) led to postnatal depression for the first year. Now, he is the light of my life although there are times I wish I had more freedom. But that's normal and he has made my life richer.

Last edited by sacha; 08-21-2011 at 11:11 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #37  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

i have one son. he was born when i was 23. he was an unexpected surprise as my husband was told when he was younger he couldnt have kids. i didnt think id be ready but i was. i was scared to death when they told me i would be a c-section. but hey after 12 hours of labor and no dilation, they had to get him out (my water broke at 8:27am and he was born via c-section at 8:28pm) i always knew i wanted kids but thought id be closer to 30. now im 26 and were talking about maybe trying in a year or two for a baby girl =) its very trying at times and sometimes i want to pull my hair out but in the end i love my lil guy more than ANYTHING in this whole world. i love hearing him say momma and daddy and when we teach him to count its very cute when he messes up his numbers lol
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

1. Do you have kids?

Yes, 2 of them.

22 (I got married when I was 18...and still married! )

I never felt this absolute LOVE of kids. Actually, little kids have always annoyed me. I thought I probably would want kids down the road when I'm older, more financially established, etc. When I was 21, I had a friend that had a baby & I spent a lot of time with them. It gave me baby fever. I now am a mom of 2. I love MY kids but ask me to spend a few hours with a class full of preschoolers is like asking me to rip my own fingernails off one by one. Ha! We are done having kids as 2 is a good number for us and I feel perfectly content with our little family.
toodles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #39  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneri View Post
My frank openion is you should have kids before 30. So the chances of diabetes in pregnancy is less. Also, you have more energy. I had my first at 24 and second at 30..that was late according to me.
My frank opinion is that statement is ridiculous! You shouldn't encourage people to have children they aren't even sure they want just because their risk of gestational diabetes (a completely manageable disease) is a bit lower if they are under 30.

I will be 26 this year and I don't have any children yet, nor do I forsee having them for the next few years. I've just finished up with my MA, need to do teacher training and work for at least a year before I consider children. My mum always told me to make sure you have a decent career with which you can support a family before you have children, just in case the relationship goes pear shaped.

Good advice but I do think it a cultural thing. Maybe if I had finished school at 18 and worked ever since I'd be more willing to consider it. In the US it seems to be more common to marry and have children at a very young age. Over in Europe we do things much later.

As it is I need to get travelling (although i'd go travelling with kids, good for them!) and career out of my system before I get pregnant. I do get extremely broody though, and I have always known I've wanted children.
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #40  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

1. Do you have kids? Yes, three so far.

2. How old were you when you had your first? 20 with my first, then 22 and 24, respectively.

3. Did you always know you wanted kids? Yes, I just never intended to have them this young. I always thought I would have them in my 30's after a having a career and such, but God had other plans. Shortly after I married my husband we were expecting, and when I had one I knew I had to have more!

Don't sweat the age thing. I have heard pregnancy is generally easier and recovery is faster with younger moms, but that's just a generalization and being in your mid-30's and having kids isn't exactly one foot in the grave in hindsight, I now advise people to not wait for a perfect time to have kids (there isn't one), but rather to go for it when they feel the urge. Whether than is sooner or later is a very individual thing.

As for me, children are a huge blessing in my life and give my husband and I a lot of joy. I wish the same for you, if that is your goal
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote