General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #1  
_________

Default Thyroid health???

Article I was reading said:

Quote:
The four minerals, sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium are next to each other in the Periodic Table and form a square on the left side. There are strong interactions between these four minerals. The balances between these four minerals seems to be critical to health and are probably very critical for thyroid health. Excess amounts or deficiencies of any one of the four may severely disrupt thyroid function.

Additionally there seem to be interactions between these four minerals and copper and zinc, which are two metallic minerals with critical thyroid functions. It seems that a copper deficiency interferes with the proper functioning of both potassium and magnesium, and zinc seems more related to sodium and calcium metabolism. Also all of these minerals seem involved in either the production, degradation, or cellular response to thyroid hormone.
Would post the link, but you know...

Anywho, how does one know if they are deficient in any of these minerals?

I taking a good daily multi-vitamin all you need to do?
Rockrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I think a good multi would do it, but who knows. When dieting I take extra K and Mg.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Most people's sodium, potassium, calcium, and mag are within normal range. You could get a blood test from your doctor, but I would say that they are probably normal. Your kidneys work to keep these electrolytes in balance. Unless you have some sort of chronic kidney disease or drink huge amounts of water, you are probably fine.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #4  
ugggg.....

I have a borderline underactive thryroid...not bad enough for medication according to my doctor after blood tests....also having perimenopausal symptoms..I take a multi vitamin everyday already...did some research and calcium and magnesium kept popping up..I got a combination of the two at Iherb...I put it in water and drink it every morning...I am feeling soooo much better..
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote