General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

The problem is that most lose weight in a way that isn't viable for once they reach their goal. They cut all carbs and then think they can add them back , they go paleo and then start eating cheese again, etc. You can't actually do that with out being super careful. This is why I haven't really cut anything from diet and have focused on healthy foods and portion control. I actually let myself have McDonald's and adjust for the day, which is something I can do once I reach my goal!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #32  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

nonameslob Thanks for the support. I hope I can do it to. Currently.. I have the tools and the mindset. I also have something big to work towards, a wedding. Sometimes when I want to quit, I think about how I've spent so much of my life avoiding cameras, and my Wedding, I don't want that. I want to shine!

I certainly do "vanish" and I am going to browse around for fast meals that require little to no effort. Or even snacks that I can leave in my desk that I won't hate myself for eating. Thankfully, I'm done with school! YAY! So, at least I won't come home and have homework on top of everything else. I also though... during tax season, perhaps to do the Shred. 25 minutes, that's all! It might be the motivation I need, and exercise has always severely helped me with stress.

PatLib That's a huge reason I can't do a low carb diet. I love carbs. Love sandwiches, love pasta, love eggs benedicts. Love, if I do low carb and lose a ton of weight, once I got to maintenance, I would have to quit them for life! I don't think I would even make it that far! But, I also never over do it. I can make a pasta, and measure out my calories for that meal and just eat that. So, that's something I can sustain at least.

Pattience
I was thinking fruit or carrots or something. Maybe even hummus or raisins. Just need to avoid when the office is ordering food, as they do for Dinner and Saturday lunches. Perhaps I can see if we have better options, or if the options we have a healthy menu?
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #33  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It is entirely possible to lose weight one way and maintain another. To say otherwise is foolish.

It's an equation of energy folks.

What everyone needs to do is establish dietary habits that limit caloric intake forever. When one does this is irrelevant.

There are plenty of folks who have maintained after following the IP diet which is quite extreme during the weight loss phase.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Also...
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #35  

I have found this weird phenomenon where people who lost and regained seem to get judged more than people with weight to lose but never lose it in the first place. It's like when people regain, it has to be because they chose a short cut, or because they lost motivation, or because they lost focus, or because they chose a non-sustaining lifestyle, etc.

I figure people gain weight--whether they lost weight and regained it, or were originally thin and became overweight, or were already overweight and became even moreso--for basically the same reasons.

My current period of maintenance (4 years, after many years of going up and down the scale) is not due to some seismic change to how I eat or exercise. Other things--like job stability, independent living, a consistent schedule--have made it easier to maintain than before. It's not because I am suddenly a much better and more intelligent person. Who knows what will happen when my life changes (marriage, kids, loss of job, money troubles).

If you maintain for something like 10 years but regain, are you or your plan a failure? I don't think so.

I also think that regaining is not the worst thing in the world. Great that people lose and never regain--ever. Congrats. But I have regained and I learned some valuable lessons that apply now, so I don't necessarily regret that I regained. Admittedly, it's easier to view that period of regain when it's the past tense.

Last edited by memememe76; 07-14-2014 at 09:50 PM.
memememe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #36  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I have found this weird phenomenon where people who lost and regained seem to get judged more than people with weight to lose but never lose it in the first place. It's like when people regain, it has to be because they chose a short cut, or because they lost motivation, or because they lost focus, or because they chose a non-sustaining lifestyle, etc.

I figure people gain weight--whether they lost weight and regained it, or were originally thin and became overweight, or were already overweight and became even moreso--for basically the same reasons.

My current period of maintenance (4 years, after many years of going up and down the scale) is not due to some seismic change to how I eat or exercise. Other things--like job stability, independent living, a consistent schedule--have made it easier to maintain than before. It's not because I am suddenly a much better and more intelligent person. Who knows what will happen when my life changes (marriage, kids, loss of job, money troubles).

If you maintain for something like 10 years but regain, are you or your plan a failure? I don't think so.

I also think that regaining is not the worst thing in the world. Great that people lose and never regain--ever. Congrats. But I have regained and I learned some valuable lessons that apply now, so I don't necessarily regret that I regained. Admittedly, it's easier to view that period of regain when it's the past tense.
I love this comment!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #37  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Stats, polls, surveys. What ever. They only track so many people. None of these track every single person and their success or failure at what ever it is they endeavor to do.

The stats and polls and surveys, also cannot track all of us, and how we learn, over time to accept some things, walk away from others and pursue our passion.

I am including a you tube link to my aunt. She's an old gal, about 70 now, a bit overweight, but pursuing her passion for, DRUM ROLL! Tractor pulling!

This ole gal has a super mechanic for a husband, and a fire suit, and they worked hard for a long time to pursue this dream. They are very good at it.

Success and failure and learning from it, comes and goes. Following your dreams, never ends!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qv60jEdQ9Q

I just hope that when I'm her age, I still have the passion she has to follow her dreams. My dreams are different, but that does not make them any less important!

And for the record, I have done the tractor pull thing. Just not with that thing! I did it in the antique class! Didn't do to bad. Won a few pulls.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I never liked those statistics buy they are true. I've known too many people who have lost and regained over and over again and constant yoyoing and weight fluctuations are devastating to one's body. More susceptibility to heart disease and diabetes. Thankfully I've me we yoyoed, I've always been plump. I refuse to diet and eat in ways where I have to ignore my body's needs. Doing so has never benefited me. Instead I try to live my life as if I'm maintaining this weight. I try to look into my future and visualize what kind of eater I want to be and try to be that way now.

The most devastating type of dieting for me was incremental. I would tell myself I had to lose X amount of lbs by the end of those month and X amount by the next month and id have to lose a total of X by such and such date or event. Even reaching small little goals would cause these massive binges. Taking things slow now, if I can manage to maintain my weight now I'll be happy.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Where is Pattience??
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #40  
Getting my life back

I have no idea... did she block us both? Or delete her profile?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #41  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Her posts are gone. That's odd.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #42  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
Her posts are gone. That's odd.
Here is the last remaining post. All of her posts since this one have been removed.

Is it odd? Beats me. I've been on internet forums since the BBS days of the 80s and people pull this stuff all the time.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #43  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Here is the last remaining post. All of her posts since this one have been removed.

Is it odd? Beats me. I've been on internet forums since the BBS days of the 80s and people pull this stuff all the time.
I guess in my experience there is a rather public "event" leading up to a very active user deleting, and I didn't witness anything to make me think she was taking off.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #44  
Getting my life back

Her profile says "Banned" I wonder what happened there?