General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Suggestions for SUPER dry skin?

For about the last year to eighteen months, I've had periodic "outbreaks" of crazy dry/flaky skin on my neck. I became slightly more prone to dry skin anyway as I entered my 30s, but when the outbreaks happen - about every month or two - my entire throat area becomes flaky, slightly scaly, and itches a little and kind of burns.

I've tried lotion and moisturizer. I've tried OTC hydrocortizone cream. I've tried jojoba oil. I've tried switching my shampoo, conditioner, soap, detergent, etc. I thought it was a nickel allergy to my necklace, but I stopped wearing that a year ago and it didn't help.

I've googled images of eczema and it doesn't look red like that at all, just flaky.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions? I know I should see a doctor, but I've just started FT at my position and am waiting for my insurance cards to come. In the meantime, I'm in the middle of an outbreak and am really annoyed.

Last edited by JenMusic; 03-02-2011 at 09:53 AM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Coconut oil has helped me when nothing else would. I got it off amazon, but any grocery store with a decent health food section, or a health food store should have it too. I get horrible dry skin on my legs, with other lotions I have to apply like 3 times a day (and they still get unbearably itchy), but with coconut oil they feel great.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

It could be psoriasis. I have it and some of my spots aren't red at all or just light pink, but dry and slightly scaly and while everyone is different, what made me realize that this wasn't just dry skin was that no amount of lotion in the world will make it go away.

If you can't see a Dr. yet, I would try to get some over the counter cream with coal tar in it and see if that makes it go away. Some say that tea tree oil helps too, but I haven't had any luck with it...however, everyone is different. Vitamin D supplements also help some, but that's not really a quick fix. However, most people are deficient in vitamin D, so supplements probably wouldn't hurt anyway. Good luck!
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Could it be an allergy to wool, or some oher fabric that might be close to your neck?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #5  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I have absolutely no clue as to if this might be helpful, but my hubby has been having similar problems recently and they (Indiana University Medical Center, Department of Dermatology, Indianapolis) told him to purchase Cerave Cream (which you can purchase over the counter). I purchased it at CVS. A little expensive, but that is what he is using. Only been using a few days, so can't report as to if has helped but I haven't heard him complain!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Have you tried Eucerin Calming Creme? It's works pretty well on eczema.

Last edited by 4star; 03-02-2011 at 11:47 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I understand what you mean because I have super dry skin, only on my elbows and knees and hands. I've learned for me that I exfoliate, and then apply Eucerin petroleum gel (I think that's what it's called, it's in a jar) at night. Slather it on. It helps by morning. I still have to apply lotion throughout the day, but my hands especially don't crack and bleed from the harsh winters like they used to. I hope this helps!
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I may try some - or all - of them!

Cheryl - I looked at pictures of psoriasis after you suggested it, it doesn't look like that either. Doesn't mean it couldn't be that. I really want to have a doctor look at it.

bargoo - I have thought about that, but I live in the South, and I don't even know if I own any wool. Actually, even in the winter I don't wear (cotton/poly) scarves often because I hate the feeling of something being around my neck. But I'll think more if I'm around any fabrics I could be sensitive to.

Thanks!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #9  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I dunno, to me it sounds like eczema, although eczema is pretty itchy. I really like Aveeno lotions. They're the only thing that seems to tame my hardcore dry/eczema skin. I liked Eucerin Calming Cream too though.

Do you have animals? Do you drink alcohol? Both of these things irritate my skin. Try moisturizing RIGHT when you get out of the shower, and never scratch it if you can help it. I hope your neck gets better.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #10  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

my husband had good results with cetaphil lotion- before his got too bad.

have you been using the same laundry soap this whole time?
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

My daughter has super sensitive skin and we've pretty much switched to dye-free, fragrance-free everything. Once she started getting itchy patches, treating it topically just didn't work. I suspected it might be dyes or fragrances in her shampoo or soap or laundry detergent or SOMETHING, so we eliminated those and it's helped a LOT.

If you look in the baby section of Target, there are several stick moisturizers. I found those helped to sooth the patches, even if it didn't heal them. Just look for dye and fragrance free. Straight, pure shea butter might also help. It won't cure it, but it should sooth it some.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #12  

It could be Barber's Itch. For that you need an antibiotic.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Use regular old extra virgin olive oil. Ancient people used it as a moisturizer and it works very well, the only down side is it does make you smell like olive oil. It should do the trick and its cheaper then a lot of the stuff out there. Also works great for chapped lips.

P.S. you don't need to use very much maybe around 1/2 tsp or less over the entire area. use twice a day. if that doesn't do the trick it's not dry skin it's a rash or something.

Last edited by niafabo; 03-05-2011 at 04:28 PM.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

EV Olive oil would be my recommendation too, or Vaseline Intensive rescue relief and repair balm.

It is incredibly moisturizing and also provides a little bit of a barrier on the skin.

It could also be something you're eating which you've developed an intolerance to. Or maybe a perfume/product you're using on your face/body which is causing flare ups on your neck.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

We deal with eczema here in my house. Aquaphor works really good. It's an ointment but it will absorb into the skin and wont feel greasy after a few minutes.

Have you tried Hydrocortisone OINTMENT? That works better than the Hydro cream.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote