General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #16  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Height: 5'4"

Angry Don't pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula745 View Post
I'm asking anyway. I kinda get trash talk for my workout attire. I dress the part; wicking fabrics, sports bra, special shoes, I even have a workout jacket to wear. I kind of get crap for that, but I have an issue with wearing my normal everyday coat after a sweaty workout.

How many of you have special workout attire different from the normal Tshirt and sweats? Or wear a jacket only for workouts to the gym in cold weather to avoid having to wear your good coat home? I just feel more energetic if I have the fabrics on that support my goals. Thoughts?

I am also super germaphobic, so I won't use gym weights/mats unless I have to. I bring my own. I get crap for that, too. The other day I had to use the gym mat and I felt gross getting in my car. I feel like my car is contaminated now. Am I overreacting? I am the only one lugging around my gym bag with all my gear. Everyone else seems free as a bird not carrying anything in with them.

Yes, I have OCD. I realize that. Tell me about your attire, quircks, etc. Come on, make me feel better.
I actually have two comments inregards to this post.
#1. Who cares what you wear to work out.
As long as you aren't streaking in naked, who cares!!!
You're there to workout, not enter a beauty contest.
#2. OCD issues.
I'm going through OCD with my son and I can totally relate to your issues.
I'd like to offer a great therapy program to you that I found and my son's therapist commented that it is a highly regarded therapy with great results.
The book is, "Talking Back To OCD" by John S. March, M.D.

Good luck.
KELLI
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 280/see tracker/200

Height: 5'5"

I bought 3 workout shirts that I'm just constantly washing and re-wearing. I only did that because there was something that really bothered me about wearing a baggy t-shirt while I worked out. I need something "tighter" I guess....if that makes sense. And because my hips are so big and my waist is much smaller, tighter t-shirts would ride up and I'd constantly be tugging at them.

Basically I think you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable. People go to the gym to better themselves, so whatever quirks you have....who cares!

I will admit that there are a couple of ladies that make me smile (not in a mean way....they just amuse me) because they have full getups with matching mini-skirts, tights, and shirts. But again, if thats what makes them happy and enjoy their workout, more power to them.
somethingnew912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Thanks everyone. It's my friends. There are other gym members that look like they wear workout attire, but my friends just wear whatever. Ya'll made me feel better.

To Kelli, I have read that book. It is very good. good luck with your son. I have been in therapy for mine. It helped a lot.

MonteCristo - The folding the yoga mat in half then rolling is a great idea. I will have to disinfect mine and try that. Thanks!
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 61"

I wear a tanktop and capri's with moisture whick. I also wear a sports bra for larger chests. I wouldnt care what other people said about your clothing. just do what makes you feel good!
dj mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

People are giving you trash talk because of your choice of gym attire? If it were me, I'd just ignore them. As long as you're comfortable and you're getting the workout you want, then great. Also, I'd rather bring my own mats. It's not a matter of being OC, it's just more sanitary that way.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #21  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I dress the part, too. I wear yoga pants and an exercise tank top (with a racerback) and a sports bra, of course. Why would I wear anything different?
Personally, I prefer a sleeveless tank top because I find that it makes me feel cooler than a Tshirt with short sleeves. I guess the "ventilation" under my arms helps. I don't wear special shoes because I live in sneakers with custom orthotics 24/7 because I have plantar fasciitis. But I do have special dance sneakers for Zumba and I wear those to my Zumba classes.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #22  
banned

I workout at home, so I usually just wear a t-shirt, shoes, and undies. *blush* lol. It's just my hubby and me, so there's never any company or anything. I agree about the OCD thing, though. I am a huge germaphobe. I wash my hands A LOT. For some reason, I'm also a slob. Oddly enough, my house being a little messy doesn't bother me, but touching things in other people's houses or in town does. I guess I'm just weird, though.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 02-09-2011 at 07:11 AM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #23  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I feel ya. Gyms can be nasty, that's why the rules for cleaning the machines before and after you use them. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I wouldn't want to hug a sweaty person so why lay on the mat they previously used when you have your own? The general public isn't very clean. I even like to take a shower after coming home from clothes shopping where I've tried on clothes b/c you just never know who else put them on.

And so what if you deck yourself out in workout clothes? It's motivating, isn't it? Enough said! This is all about you and your aspirations for yourself. Don't let anyone shame your game.

Last edited by 4star; 02-09-2011 at 11:21 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #24  

Wear what YOU feel most comfortable in. i usually stick with a shirt, capri pants, and sportsbra.
ADelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7

I think a lot of work out cloths are really really cute. I just don't buy them. I think your friends need to focus on their work out and stop worrying about what you wear. Seems like to me they are the ones with the issue and if they say anything about your outfit, I would just smile and tell them thank you, it is a cute top. Then smoke them in the work out.
CosmicGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I have the nike dryfit pants (and capris) and I don't workout in any other pants. They are so much better fitting and more practical than the sweats and cotton shorts I had to wear before I could fit into proper workout pants. I do wear t-shirts still, but I have a million t-shirts and all I use them for is workout and sleep, so there's no shortage there. If I'm running outside, yes, I use a certain jacket. But going to the gym, I wear my normal coat there and I'm hot enough to just carry it when I leave. Of course I wear a sports bra, my boob will bounce right out of a normal bra. And the shoes, my running shoes are for running and run/walk intervals only! My "retired" running shoes are now used for spin class, just walking, elliptical, weights, etc.

ETA- I guess I also am just used to t-shirts because my old gym did not allow sleeveless tops. It's ingrained in me now and whenever I see women workout in sports bras or racer back tops I think "you're not allowed to wear that!"

Last edited by Aclai4067; 02-09-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote