General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/244.8/190

Height: 5' 8"

Default 3-year-old and Food

I'm in need of advice on what to do with my 3 year old. She is ALWAYS wanting something to eat. When I say always, I mean always! We can sit down and have a full meal where she cleans her plate and 10 minutes later she is asking for a snack. It kind of scares me. The dr has not offered any helpful insight and its difficult for me to find a good pediatrician. (we live in a very small town and the closest 'big' place is 50 miles in either direction). Our dr has just told me to let her eat because she is 'catching up'. My daughter was born at 29 weeks and is at the lower end of things for height and weight.

My husband and I are both at a loss. He grew up with the rule that you ate when you were called to the table and that was it and I grew up not having many food related rules. (Which is probably why I'm struggling with weight now)

A normal day for my kids is to eat breakfast around 8, a snack around 10, dinner at noon, a snack around 3 and supper at 6.

I just don't know what exactly to do. I don't really think its constructive to future behavior or a good lesson to let her eat all day long.
springjacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #2  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

i know how you feel. my almost 7 year old is the same way. she's not at the lower end of height or weight but she's also not too heavy, she's very active, but i don't know what to do either. she's tall and smart enough to get to things high up and i'm getting tired of chasing her out of the kitchen especially since sometimes I'll grab something to eat when maybe i wouldn't have had i not been shooing her out! i hope someone comes with some advice lol
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #3  

I notice with my 3 year old she will have a day where she wants to eat everything that I will let her, then the next day she will hardly touch anything. I try to keep in mind that they do burn a lot of energy. But we have also been having trouble with that phase, she will finish dinner then ask for more. At school she eats when they said it's time and thats it so I feel once she is home she wants to make up for it. I make her wait 20 minutes then see if shes still interested, her tummy is still pretty small so judging from what she eats, she is not starving. It's not easy but I try to get her mind into something else, and sometimes it works and other times I will give in but try to limit it to, fruit or veggies, which she loves. I don't know what to suggest to you other then trying the 20 minute rule, see if she wants more after the meal. Snacking could be okay as long as she knows it's veggies only. :-)
LindsaysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

You also have to remember that they burn a lot more than we do. Let her eat, but give her healthy snacks like fruits and veggies. If she won't eat that, than she's not really hungry, just bored.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/244.8/190

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks Ladies!

I will give the 20 minute rule a try. Its always fruits or veggies for snacks and occasionally a granola bar. We'll see what happens!
springjacka is offline   Reply With Quote