General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #46  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
While I agree that PETA isn't the best representation of animal rights activism, I certainly am not okay with you calling all the vegans on this board crazy. Excuse me, you said we'd "lost our blooming minds". Just because I choose to be a compassionate person and live without harming others, others including other species, does not make me in anyway crazy. Just because it's a "flipping" worm to you doesn't mean you need it's silk to survive or to even be happy. That's the point of veganim - not causing harm. For whatever reason some desire to call us crazy - that's your issue not mine. Please refrain from tossing those terms around, thanks.

Stepping off now.
I agree that I thought the post was a bit offensive. I would recommend someone who doesn't understand the vegan perspective to look at the meat industry, look at the dairy industry, look even at the honey and silk industry as well. It isn't just not about milking a cow, it is about mistreating cows and then ending their lives long before the natural time frame. Dairy cows can live to be 20 years. A dairy industry cow? They barely last 3 or 4 years. Lots of time it is because they are so stressed and worn out, which is why they can no longer stand many times near the end of their dairy days. How is it natural for them? How is it natural for us?

The dairy industry also sells us that dairy is healthy but I hardly think it is healthy. There are plenty of health concerns with dairy but they are hidden behind $$$.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #47  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Oops I meant to write calories not carbs I think I was craving some bread when I wrote this lol!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

I would also like to point out that vegen doesn't neccesarily mean good for animals either. Ever google the impact of large scale farming on local wildlife populations? Small animals are attracted by droves into fields which they then send giant harvesters through. Secret of NIMH- magicy powers. :P I would rather eat local with mostly hand harvested items including meat. Who am I kidding though? I mostly shop at regular grocery stores. But if it really bothered me I would be going local before going vegan again.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #49  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Oops I meant to write calories not carbs I think I was craving some bread when I wrote this lol!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #50  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misora View Post
I would also like to point out that vegen doesn't neccesarily mean good for animals either. Ever google the impact of large scale farming on local wildlife populations? Small animals are attracted by droves into fields which they then send giant harvesters through. Secret of NIMH- magicy powers. :P I would rather eat local with mostly hand harvested items including meat. Who am I kidding though? I mostly shop at regular grocery stores. But if it really bothered me I would be going local before going vegan again.
Well factory farming itself is very problematic. Animal waste is poisoning ground water and affecting local populations. Also, where do you think the food for the animals comes from? It takes a large amount of food to raise animals. I think I've read it takes 9 lbs (or more) of grain to yield 1 lb of meat.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #51  

"Have you ever sat on the couch and downed a box of beans? or box of quinoa? or a box of cauliflower?"

Heck yeah!
I make a fabulous quinoa and lentil dish (similar to rice and beans) that I can totally pig out on. Also cauliflower with cheese sauce, or a garlic sauce I make.

Ofcourse these foods are certainly safer for me then cookies and cake, not to mention super nutritional power houses.

btw, while I dont really like nutritional labels for the sake of this post--I am a vegetarian. My diet does consist mostly of carbs as well. I think most peoples diet naturally have more carbs then protein unless you're on program that focuses on keeping your protein at a higher level.

My point was that you can be a vegan, vegetarian, meat eater, what have you and still be fat. And personally, for me, it is much easier for me to over indulge in vegetarian foods (of all kinds) then big hunks of meat.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #52  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Haha onederchick I'm so embarassed now!!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #53  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotatest View Post
"Have you ever sat on the couch and downed a box of beans? or box of quinoa? or a box of cauliflower?"

Heck yeah!
I make a fabulous quinoa and lentil dish (similar to rice and beans) that I can totally pig out on. Also cauliflower with cheese sauce, or a garlic sauce I make.

Ofcourse these foods are certainly safer for me then cookies and cake, not to mention super nutritional power houses.

btw, while I dont really like nutritional labels for the sake of this post--I am a vegetarian. My diet does consist mostly of carbs as well. I think most peoples diet naturally have more carbs then protein unless you're on program that focuses on keeping your protein at a higher level.

My point was that you can be a vegan, vegetarian, meat eater, what have you and still be fat. And personally, for me, it is much easier for me to over indulge in vegetarian foods (of all kinds) then big hunks of meat.
Well cheese and fatty products are not carbs. I would say that it is easy to eat large amount of calories whether they are most carbs or fat. Although when I was a meat eater, I didn't think anything of eating a large hunks of meat.

If we want to lose weight/maintain weight loss, we have to control our calories no matter what the source.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #54  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

Thats a trip...PETA is getting overboard with that one....And I have seen fat vegans...Like that one guy who ate like 200 oranges everyday! He got overweight from eating oranges....
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #55  

"Well cheese and fatty products are not carbs"

really--thanks for clearing that one up!
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #56  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

The only way to settle this mess is we all go on a hunger strike...

last one standing can eat whatever they want!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #57  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotatest View Post
"Well cheese and fatty products are not carbs"

really--thanks for clearing that one up!
I wasn't trying to be snarky. I was just trying to say sitting down and eating tons of carbs is different than eating carbs loaded with tons of fat. So cauliflower itself really can't be overeaten while it with added fat is a different story.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #58  
GO RED TEAM!!!!!!!

Height: 5"8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
While I agree that PETA isn't the best representation of animal rights activism, I certainly am not okay with you calling all the vegans on this board crazy. Excuse me, you said we'd "lost our blooming minds". Just because I choose to be a compassionate person and live without harming others, others including other species, does not make me in anyway crazy. Just because it's a "flipping" worm to you doesn't mean you need it's silk to survive or to even be happy. That's the point of veganim - not causing harm. For whatever reason some desire to call us crazy - that's your issue not mine. Please refrain from tossing those terms around, thanks.

Stepping off now.
Let me correct you, I didn't call vegans crazy, I said this about PETA's manifesto "they lost their blooming minds". I separate vegans from the organization known as PETA because I know from my vegan friends that not every vegan stands behind PETA's manifesto. But you are not a member of PETA, are you? What I am saying is that PETA is trying to step on everyone’s right to choose (just like a woman's right to choose) and insulting people right and left. Tossing red paint, pie throwing, and manure dumping on people are not the actions of an organization intent on causing no harm. I personally don't eat red meat and I am against abortion, but that's my choice and my views and I would never ever tell another how to live their life or what to eat. I think everyone can agree we want every animal raised for food to be treated humanly, but PETA takes it to a level where there is no common sense and often contradict their own supposed beliefs, again I am taking about PETA not all vegans. Shockingly PETA is against the no kill movement and euthanizes most of the animals surrendered to them. And this one, is at odds with the no kill movement they believe in, PETA regularly asks towns and cities to change their names. In April 2003, they offered free veggie burgers to the city of Hamburg, New York, in exchange for changing its name to Veggieburg. It campaigned in 1996 to have the town of Fishkill, New York, change its name, claiming the name suggests cruelty to fish. (The root "kill", found in many New York town names, is Dutch for "creek.") These are just few of the things PETA has done and believes in and I could go on and on with PETA antics. I am very sorry if I offended you with my right to voice strong disagreement with PETA actions and beliefs, not all vegans just PETA.

Strangely Ingrid Newkirk the women, who runs PETA and is against the no kill movement that euthanizes most of the animals surrendered to them, said this:
"Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it.”
—Ingrid Newkirk, PETA President

No one wants to see an animal suffer, but at what cost to humanity. -Igetfitnstrongforme

Stepping off now.

Last edited by IgetfitNStrongforme; 08-22-2009 at 06:15 AM.
IgetfitNStrongforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #59  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
The only way to settle this mess is we all go on a hunger strike...

last one standing can eat whatever they want!

Okay, I'm in!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #60  
Just Me

IgetFitNStrongforme - I think we are all saying the same thing FatChickBGone and I were just saying there are valid reasons to give up animal products although PETA is definitely not the best representative to present those reasons.