General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #31  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

Knowledge Is Power!
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #32  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

The knowledge I'll be taking away is -

PETA are extremists that take things too damn far.

Last edited by Onederchic; 08-09-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #33  
Running With Scissors

S/C/G: 178/175/150

Height: 5'3

Peta is so annoying! I don't have a problem with what they try to do, but the way they do it, by making good things awful and evil is just wrong. also there is a problem with humane treatment of animals- they aren't human!
indiegrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #34  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismm View Post
...I think we should all have a beer summit and discuss it!
My HAPPY MEAL comes with a frosted mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Umm..

This is from the PETA site -

"It's the animals who deserve a break today, and kids can give them one by recognizing that Ronald McDonald isn't a clown, he's a murderer."

Poor Ronald
And I just thought RONALD was the greatest marketing tool ever.

Quote:
The knowledge I'll be taking away is -

PETA are extremists that take things too damn far.
Once again...I am against cruelty to animals..I am for eating meat...I am disgusted at the pictures of the knife/happy meals etc.

I think PETA will lose much more than they will gain in this attempt to scare people.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #35  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Knowledge Is Power!
Hey, knowledge ISN'T power! If it was, librarians would rule the world! It is the effective use of the appropriate information that leads to power...

And THIS is ridiculous...leave the kids alone. Leave the corporation alone (it isn't like they're the only ones serving up burgers). If you wanna eat meat, enjoy. If you are a vegetarian, enjoy. But agenda-pushing in this way only turns people off of the important issues that PETA should be concerned about.

On a side note, my dear BIL has a bumpersticker that says:

I am a PROUD member of PETA --
People for the
Eating and
Tasting of
Animals

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-09-2009 at 05:28 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #36  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
But at this age (6 & 8) the realities of killing chickens for meat (someone stabbing them, blood, guts, etc.) is not appropriate, IMO.
My father grew up on a farm, and when he was younger he helped hold baby piglets as his uncle cut their testacles off so they wouldn't breed.

While I think their propaganda is silly and inappropriate, I do think that educating people about the treatment of animals in industry is a great idea - including children. Just in a different way.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 08-09-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #37  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
On a side note, my dear BIL has a bumpersticker that says:

I am a PROUD member of PETA --
People for the
Eating and
Tasting of
Animals

Kira
I am not a member of Peta and I do think their antics go too far but I have to say that the above joke has been overplayed like a tired record. I didn't think it was funny before I went vegetarian and I still don't think it is funny.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegrlx View Post
Peta is so annoying! I don't have a problem with what they try to do, but the way they do it, by making good things awful and evil is just wrong. also there is a problem with humane treatment of animals- they aren't human!
The first more than half a dozen definitions of humane I looked at do not specify how humans are treated, they specify how humans *act.*
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #39  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Meh...just saying what my Albertan beef-loving BIL has on his bumper...I'd personally never heard it before!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #40  
Just Me

True Julie, here is the definition from Webster:
* Main Entry: hu·mane
* Pronunciation: \hyü-ˈmān, yü-\
* Function: adjective
* Etymology: Middle English humain
* Date: circa 1500

1 : marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals

Also, it isn't that Peta lies about how animals are mistreated and horrible conditions in which animals are put under. It is just that they think the best way to present the truth is with increased shock value.

My recommendation for those that want to get a real, unbiased view of animal treatment, then watch Earthlings (available on Google video). It is an award winning documentary.

Edited to add (Thanks Mandalinn for reminding me) - By being real and being a documentary, it is very graphic and can be very hard to watch. Some people report having no issue watching it. I will admit I cried during some of it.

Last edited by nelie; 08-09-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #41  
Just Me

Kira, and I was just saying I don't think it is amusing. Peta isn't a vegetarian organization, it is an animal rights organization. Vegetarians hear it all the time even if they have nothing to do with Peta.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #42  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Just one warning on Earthlings - it's graphic. Honest about how animals are treated, but in a graphic way. So be aware of that before you watch!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #43  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
I don't have kids but if I did and someone gave them stuff like that, I would be whoopin some ***, for real.
thank you for writing that, so i don't have to.

i have two kids, and i would be P.O'd major if someone gave that to them. Especially my daughter, who is so sensitive, who loves animals soo much.

honestly, i have never been a fan of PETA because of things like this. It's just more scare tactics to get us to conform to ideas. While I realize that PETA is not the only company doing this, it still makes me angry. (as it does when ever I see things like this.) Especially because PETA hides behind the idea that they are doing it to aid animals.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #44  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

PETA has always been full of you know what. I really don't care for Mcdonalds. I only have Mcdonalds about a few times a year. food doesn't just sit well with me. But PETA's intentions are not all that good. They are always targeting kids. and as a result the kids start thinking there is something wrong with their parents for letting me eat meat.

I think kids should be off limits when you are promoting a certain lifestyle. Because it's up the parents to decide what kinda of eating lifestyle their kids will. It's not PETA's place to preach to kids like this.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

If I had kids that PETA subjected to their fanaticism I'd be furious! PETA has no right to force their views on others and their antics seriously disgust me.

I wear leather and fur. I eat animals. This will never change. I rarely eat McDonald's but if I saw that nonsense at a McD's here, I'd go off my eating plan for a meal and eat there.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote