General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Charlotte's Web
Bridge to Terebitha

No matter how many times I read them, I sob with my whole body. (old yeller, too, but that was already mentioned)

These are all "children's books," but really, they are so well written they are for everyone.
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 250/246.4/190

Height: 5'10''

Poisonwood Bible
The Bean Trees
Pigs in Heaven

all by Barbara Kingsolver

The Tortilla Curtain
by T.C. Boyle
StellaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #18  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

oh god, To Kill A Mockingbird makes me rock back and forth and say, "She never saw him again but she loved him. Boo!" it's pathetic.

and i finished Bridge to Terabithia while in a restaurant once. it was baaaaad news for anyone around me.
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #19  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Ballerina View Post
Anything by Lurlene McDaniel.

her books are aimed at more high school age....but they deal with kids/teens with serious conditions and fatal illnesses (cancer, diabetes, heart trouble, everything...)

I always pick up one of her books when I need a good cry.
Wow, does this bring me back! I was addicted to her books in junior high and high school. I think I may be a bit of a hypochondriac...don't know if that's why I read these books, or the result of reading them!

The most recent book to make me cry was the Friday Night Knitting Club.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #20  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls

This is the true story of growing up homeless. The author went on to be a very successful writer. This is one of the best books that I have ever read.

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Freelance writer Walls doesn't pull her punches. She opens her memoir by describing looking out the window of her taxi, wondering if she's "overdressed for the evening" and spotting her mother on the sidewalk, "rooting through a Dumpster." Walls's parents—just two of the unforgettable characters in this excellent, unusual book—were a matched pair of eccentrics, and raising four children didn't conventionalize either of them. Her father was a self-taught man, a would-be inventor who could stay longer at a poker table than at most jobs and had "a little bit of a drinking situation," as her mother put it. With a fantastic storytelling knack, Walls describes her artist mom's great gift for rationalizing. Apartment walls so thin they heard all their neighbors? What a bonus—they'd "pick up a little Spanish without even studying." Why feed their pets? They'd be helping them "by not allowing them to become dependent." While Walls's father's version of Christmas presents—walking each child into the Arizona desert at night and letting each one claim a star—was delightful, he wasn't so dear when he stole the kids' hard-earned savings to go on a bender. The Walls children learned to support themselves, eating out of trashcans at school or painting their skin so the holes in their pants didn't show. Buck-toothed Jeannette even tried making her own braces when she heard what orthodontia cost. One by one, each child escaped to New York City. Still, it wasn't long before their parents appeared on their doorsteps. "Why not?" Mom said. "Being homeless is an adventure."
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #21  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

The Chamber by Greisham
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #22  
BeyondmyHSjeans

S/C/G: 320/320/235

Height: 5' 7"

Wow I got some great books to read!
Beyondmyhsjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #23  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

A Child Called "IT" by Dave Pelzer

I will never forget this book, tears my heart out to think of what this poor kid endured.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

The Notebook definitely made me cry....but The Wedding (which is like the sequel, I guess) was even worse!!! I cried throughout it and then my mom read it and she cried three different times!!!

Other People's Kids by Tory Hayden had me getting teary eyed throughout...and I read a good majority of it while on an airplane. LOL It's about a special education teacher in England who talks about her experiences and some of the kids she has worked with. I am a special ed teacher and I could see some of my students in the kids she was writing about. It just hit me.

My Sister's Keeper was so good too....definitely a tearjerker!!!

The first book I remember crying at was "You Shouldn't Have To Say Goodbye" which was my summer reading book going into the sixth grade. It was about a girl losing her mother to cancer.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #25  

A Dog Called Kitty by Bill Wallace--made me laugh until I cried in the beginning and then cry, for real, at the end.

Remembering the Good Times by Richard Peck

There are many more, of course, but my pregnant brain can't remember squat right now. Maybe I'll post them as I remember them.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #26  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Gone With the Wind, especially the scene where Scarlett runs into John Wilkes (the man she had always hoped would be her FIL one day) as he's going off to war, knowing full well that he's too old and will inevitably be killed, but unwilling to set aside his patriotism in the face of a war he doesn't agree with. I bawl like a calf at that part, and the part where the casualty lists come out. At that part when I'm watching the movie, I invariably end up, sitting on the edge of the couch, sobbing openly into a dishtowel. It's good to be emotional sometimes.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

In Her Shoes
Good in Bed
Certain Girls all by Jennifer Weiner

Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #28  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

P.S.- I Love You
Shelter Me
A Child Called It.

Most mentioned before, but all do it to me. The tears rolling down the cheeks and me not wanting to put the book down.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls

This is the true story of growing up homeless. The author went on to be a very successful writer. This is one of the best books that I have ever read.
I could just barely take the mother in this story - she upset me soooo much. I realize the mother was mentally ill, but she just made me so angry. It was a great book.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #30  
I'm A Geek and Proud

The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold. I cried a lot during that book - a very emotional novel. I'm looking forward to the movie.

I have The Time Travelers Wife, but have got a round to reading it - sounds like I'll need a box of tissues when I do!
FilmGeekUK is offline   Reply With Quote