General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #16  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Lent is 40 days/40nights right?

I'm non-denominational Protestant, so Lent is optional for me, but I was thinking of giving up sex for Lent. Then I remembered I broke up with A**hat a few weeks ago and I can reasonably expect not to be in the way of temptation for some time anyway. I already gave up smoking, and that was surprisingly not hard, so that doesn't really speak to the intent of the Lenten self-discipline. Hmmm...

I suspect I might have to give up booze. God help me. Seriously. I likes my beers.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
This is how my church views giving up something for LENT ~

Giving up something for Lent

Q. Do Lutherans have to give up something for Lent as some other denominations require?

A. From the perspective of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod, "giving something up for Lent" is entirely a matter of Christian freedom. It would be wrong, from our perspective, for the church to make some sort of "law" requiring its members to "give something up for Lent," since the Scriptures themselves do not require this. If, on the other hand, a Christian wants to give something up for Lent as a way of remembering and personalizing the great sacrifice that Christ made on the cross for our sins, then that Christian is certainly free to do so--as long as he or she does not "judge" or "look down on" other Christians who do not choose to do this.

So doing anything ~ giving up or adding to ~ to remember His sacrifice for us sounds like a good deal to me
Wow Gary, Im not Lutheran, (I'm Southern Baptist) but I love what you posted. I am so Thankful to be under Grace, not under Law.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #18  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Giving up the beloved calorie laden Coca Cola - if I gave up smokes I figure I could conquer anything. (And good luck to those of you giving up the ciggies).

On the positive side I am going to make an effort not to be so judgemental which in turn I hope to make me a kinder, gentler person to those around me (an additional challenge without the Coke crutch).
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #19  
I love lamp

I used to give up soda and chocolate .. I'm vegan now and don't like soda anymore so I am going with giving up my compulsive shopping habits
Dandelion Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #20  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
This is how my church views giving up something for LENT ~

Giving up something for Lent

Q. Do Lutherans have to give up something for Lent as some other denominations require?

A. From the perspective of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod, "giving something up for Lent" is entirely a matter of Christian freedom. It would be wrong, from our perspective, for the church to make some sort of "law" requiring its members to "give something up for Lent," since the Scriptures themselves do not require this. If, on the other hand, a Christian wants to give something up for Lent as a way of remembering and personalizing the great sacrifice that Christ made on the cross for our sins, then that Christian is certainly free to do so--as long as he or she does not "judge" or "look down on" other Christians who do not choose to do this.

So doing anything ~ giving up or adding to ~ to remember His sacrifice for us sounds like a good deal to me
Hey! I didn't know you were LCMS, EZ - I am too. I was going to post something similar, but you beat me to it.

I usually try to give up something...this year it may be soda, but I really liked the eating out idea. That would be very challenging for DH and I.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I am going to try to give up my excessive internet time. It's wasteful. In it's place I want to instate "me time" where I read or do yoga or something peaceful.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #22  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Hmmmm, I am giving up deserts until Easter........and this is hard because that is my favorite thing........but I will be better for it.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #23  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I too am a Lutheran, though ELCA. We are not "required" to give up anything, it's a personal choice. This year for lent, my goal is to make it to every mid-week lenten service. This would include Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. It seems I usually end up missing several of these important services. This year each Wednesday service will concentrate on each of the 7 deadly sins.

I'm really looking forward to our awesome Pastors message.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #24  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I like the idea of adding a good deed, as well as (or maybe instead of) giving up an indulgence. I think I'm going to email a different person on my friends-list on myspace every day, to tell them I'm thinking of them and try to get back in touch a little bit. But I'm thinking I'm still going to have to give up beer as well.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #25  
Addicted to potato salad!

Yay Lutherans!! I grew up in an ELCA church, myself, but the closest to me is 45 mins away. I know...I know...the forefathers would have traveled hours and hours just to go to church, but the Episcopalians are right around the corner from my house, so we have been hanging with the Episcopalians lately. My mom says she doesn't care as long as I'm going to church. My son is THE ONLY kid in the Sunday school program and my daughter is starting tomorrow with being THE ONLY kid in confirmation classes.

Anyhow...this is my first Ash Wednesday as an Episcopalian and so I suppose this will be my first with a dirty forehead Yesterday our pastor asked us what we are giving up and what we are taking up. I didn't answer because I hadn't really thought about it. I never have thought any other religions gave up something other than Catholics and I always thought it was silly, to be honest...probably my Lutheran upbringing...and the absurd people I saw giving things up. One woman I worked with at Kodak had a mouth like a sailor and trash-talked every single person she saw (including me, I'm sure), but during Lent, she'd be all..."Oh, I can't have chocolate...its Lent..." and once I told her, "Maybe the Good Lord would be more impressed if you worried more about what's coming OUT of your mouth instead of what's going IN!"

Anyhow...Lent, to me, is all about sacrificing a bad habit so as to make for a better, healthier lifestyle and a happier, more spiritual person, in the end...and showing God that you love Him more than you love TV or chocolate or sweets or whatever. I like the idea of taking up something as well as giving up something.

So...to make a long story short (which is always hard for me), I'm taking this time called Lent to do what I'm supposed to do on the Sugar Busters plan and STICK TO IT. Giving up all whites (flour, rice and potatoes) and sugar to the best of my ability and taking up walking every day...God willing and the creek don't rise...if you know what I'm sayin...I figure I'll have the visual of God looking down on me wagging his all-powerful finger at me and I'll put down the sweeties.

Okay...and I'm also going to take up making time to write in my novel...I just started chapter three this weekend.

Happy Lent everyone!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #26  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

i have never participated in lent, but the idea of giving up something might be interesting... if i gave up the cigs that i occasionally smoke while partying i think i would be better for it! i will have to mull it over...
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post
Giving up the beloved calorie laden Coca Cola - if I gave up smokes I figure I could conquer anything. (
Same. Stopped smoking 5 years ago. Gave up soda off and on (I'm a pepsi person, but hopefully not any more haha) but I really want to get rid of it this time, there is just nothing positive or healthy in a bottle of soda and I know I'm doing myself a disservice by chugging the stuff all the time.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote