3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Whatcha Reading Nov '08? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/155414-whatcha-reading-nov-08-a.html)

alinnell 11-28-2008 05:44 PM

Lisa~I recently tried to read a Margaret Atwood book (The Blind Assassin) and had the hardest time getting into it that I finally dropped it. I had never read her stuff before, but did like the movie The Handmaid's Tale. I may have to try another of hers.

Sarah C0nn0r 11-29-2008 09:19 AM

I've started the DaVinci Code, but so far it is so dry and sterile! I like a book that grabs me from the beginning and takes me for a ride. I fear this one is not it.

But I'll give it more of a chance. We will see.

Glory87 11-29-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 (Post 2472650)
Glory, I've read five or six books by Anita Shreve and have enjoyed them all. I believe Fortune's Rocks was my favorite. I have her A Wedding in December but haven't yet read it.

I just started reading Moral Disorder, a book of short stories by Margaret Atwood, my favorite living author. I'm not really in the mood for short stories, but I'm biding my time until I get my next shipment from Bookswim, which will include the next Queen Betsy vampire book and World Without End by Ken Follett.

Long post!

Hey Lisa, I just finished Testimony and I enjoyed it. It really built and built up to the ending. I loved Pillars of the Earth (top 10 favorite book of mine) but was kind of "eh" over World Without End - mostly because I thought it was too deriviative of Pillars. Both books shared the same arch type characters. I guess if I had never read Pillars, I would have loved World, but as it was I was frequently annoyed by what I felt was laziness by the author!

I finished Jennifer Crusie's Fast Women, and it was just okay. I'm not sure what's next!

LisaMarie71 12-02-2008 12:28 PM

Allison - The Blind Assassin is my favorite Atwood, but I read it after years of reading all her other books and getting used to her style, so I probably didn't notice that it was tough to get into, though I can see how that would be the case. You might like The Robber Bride or Cat's Eye.

Glory - I'm wondering if World Without End is worth reading, but I think I'll probably give it a go. I'm glad to hear Testimony was good. A Wedding in December was really good. I actually loved it. Just finished it this morning. Something about Anita Shreve's writing is just really lovely. I found mysef wanting the book to keep going as I turned the last page.

Sarah - I hated The Da Vinci Code. Yes, the subject matter is interesting, but the whole time I was reading it I kept thinking I'd be better served by reading a well written article or nonfiction book about it. The cheesy thriller setup and crappy writing did nothing for me.

Speaking of cheesy, I'm putting the Atwood stories aside for a while so I can read the next installment in the Queen Betsy vampire series, Undead and Unemployed. Very light reading after the slightly heavy Shreve book. After that, possibly the Follett.

alinnell 12-02-2008 12:59 PM

Lisa~I'll try some more Atwood books. Thanks for the recommendation! Just to let you know, I loved both of the Follett books.

You want to know what's sad? Yesterday at Costco, I was perusing the book stacks and I couldn't find a single book that appealed to me. What will I do?