3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Whatcha Reading Nov '08? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/155414-whatcha-reading-nov-08-a.html)

Smiling_Sara 11-01-2008 12:20 PM

Whatcha Reading Nov '08?

Still reading The Next Thing on my List. Hope to have it done in a day or two. Then I plan to start Passing for Thin.

kelly315 11-01-2008 12:22 PM

I just started the new Christopher Paolini book, Brisingr. I love that kind of thing.

ANOther 11-01-2008 01:23 PM

I'm about halfway through The Race (Richard North Patterson): the sexy young McCain-y white senator is falling in love with a black movie star

That should take me past the election by a few days and then I'll start in with Christmas reading: I have All Through the Night (Mary Higgins Clark) and The Spy Who Came for Christmas (David Morrell: ETA 11.03: that's the guy who created Rambo)

Shopaholic1204 11-01-2008 06:59 PM

I'm happily reading the Twilight saga again :)

mazza 11-01-2008 08:51 PM

Are there any Agatha Christie fans out there? I've been wanting to read a new book now that I have finished the most recent 'Dexter' book by Jeff Lindsay, and the MASSIVE collection of Christie's novels caught my eye last week in Borders.

Also, my friend has just finished "Twilight" and hasn't stopped raving about it. Do those of you who have read the books think I'd enjoy them even if I am not really into 'vampire' type stories generally?

movielover 11-01-2008 10:00 PM

I am on the 3rd book in the Twilight series! The girls at my school make me read them!!! :)

wantingtolose 11-01-2008 10:25 PM

i think i'm going to get the twilight series and start it when i get a chance. I am always on the lookout for new books to read.

Shopaholic1204 11-01-2008 10:39 PM

I recommend that after you've read all the Twilight books..you should also check out Midnight Sun. It's sooooo good, I really hope Steph finishes it!!

mazza 11-01-2008 10:54 PM

I think I'll go to the library now and get the first Twilight book. Can't escape the hype!

FrouFrou 11-02-2008 12:22 AM

The Innocent Man...John Grisham

Diva 11-02-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 (Post 2434734)
I'm happily reading the Twilight saga again :)

I'M GOING TO REREAD MINE TOO JUST BEFORE THE MOVIE COMES OUT THIS MONTH! oops! Sorry about caps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazza (Post 2434839)
Are there any Agatha Christie fans out there? I've been wanting to read a new book now that I have finished the most recent 'Dexter' book by Jeff Lindsay, and the MASSIVE collection of Christie's novels caught my eye last week in Borders.

Also, my friend has just finished "Twilight" and hasn't stopped raving about it. Do those of you who have read the books think I'd enjoy them even if I am not really into 'vampire' type stories generally?

YES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 (Post 2434945)
I recommend that after you've read all the Twilight books..you should also check out Midnight Sun. It's sooooo good, I really hope Steph finishes it!!

I hope she finishes it too!

I am reading The Vampire Vivienne #5 in the Vampire Legacy by Karen E. Taylor. I haven't read the 1st four, but this one is about someone other than her main character for the first 4 so it's alright to skip I think. It's an alright book, but it's no twilight!;)

Shopaholic1204 11-07-2008 01:24 AM

I'm reading New Moon again.

jules1216 11-07-2008 08:18 AM

Vampyres of Hollywood

Moonlight Mistress 11-07-2008 10:26 AM

I also re-read the Twilight saga books whenever possible! haha. I'm totally obsessed.

Right now though, I'm reading Stephen King's newest, Duma Key. Awesome book.

~Utterly Absurd~

SeaSideSparkle 11-07-2008 10:28 AM

Also reading the Twilight series - and I normally don't like books about anything "supernatural", including vampires, but I'm enjoying these books.

And I just finished "Such a Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster - go read this!! It was hilarious.

alinnell 11-07-2008 11:40 AM

The Other by David Guterson. I really like it, although it was a tiny bit hard to start. I loved his Snow Falling on Cedars.

LandonsBaby 11-07-2008 02:05 PM

Prayerfully Yours: Creating the Bond Between Man and His Maker by Rabbi Abraham J. Twerski. After that I'm going to try Phantoms by Dean Koontz. My hubby said it was really good and he wants me to read it so we can talk about it.

greeneggsandtam 11-07-2008 03:06 PM

Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Well of Lost Plots - Jasper Fford
I have fallen for Jasper Fford.

mom2mollie 11-07-2008 03:16 PM

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wrobleski (definitely a bear market book) and Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (excellent saga of the history of England)
I love LOOOONG books, and get sad when they're over... :)

jtammy 11-07-2008 03:45 PM

Oops, I accidentally posted this on the October thread, so I'm reposting...

Ooooh, This is a dangerous thread!! I always end up seeing so many things here I want to add to my reading list. I just finished Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews (Don't bother is my review). I started Fearless Fourteen last night by Janet Evanovich. I'm also reading The Shack by William Young, but I keep putting it down and forgetting about it.

My daughter has read and re-read and re-read the Twilight series, but I just can't get far enough in them to be hooked. Plus I think she's told me so much about it that I know too much of the plot.

I've got a Jen Lancaster book requested. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Mazza, I adore Agatha Christie's books. She is my all time favorite author.

mazza 11-07-2008 03:48 PM

Tammy - Thanks for responding! I'm going to go to the library this week to search for some good ol' Christie reading. Any suggestions on books of her's to start with?

jtammy 11-07-2008 04:55 PM

A couple of Agatha Christie recommendations - Christie had two main characters that were in many of her books (separately). I think a good choice to start with for the Miss Marple character is "The Body in the Library". A good beginning choice for the Hercule Poirot character is "The ABC Murders". This is not the first book with this character, but it is one of the stronger ones.

Ten Little Indians (also titled And then there were none) is also a good one, and doesn't have either of these characters in them.

Although her works carry some of the same characters, they aren't series, and you can read them in any order. Just don't read the two that were released posthumously - Curtains and Sleeping Murder - until you've read her other works.

Enjoy!

Ashley 11-07-2008 06:57 PM

I'm reading "The Heroin Diaries: A Year In The Life Of A Shattered Rockstar"

jules1216 11-07-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley (Post 2443204)
I'm reading "The Heroin Diaries: A Year In The Life Of A Shattered Rockstar"

I read that a few weeks back...what did you think???

Billies Pottery 11-07-2008 07:24 PM

I read the Twilight series after my daughter read the first one. I always like to see what kind of stuff she is reading.

They are a good read even for a 30-something like me, my sis and aunt and grandma all devoured them soon after i told them about them.

The thing i like most about the series is that my daughter's BFF who never reads, but is boy crazy, got into the books and now she is on the forth book! She is in love with Edward and calls me all the time to talk about stuff in the books. My daughter quit reading the series in the 2nd book because she got mad at it.

Needless to say, i am taking the girls to the midnight showing of the movie in a couple weeks.

The books are a good read even if you are not into supernatural stuff because they are really more of a Romeo and Juliet type story, especially the first one.

So, now i am starting on Bram Stoker's Dracula. Because i feel like it would be a good thing to go back to the story that started the whole vampire craze.

Wolf Goddess 11-07-2008 07:35 PM

You should see the local library - you can't find the Twilight series on-shelf; it's by request only. They're that popular!

I'm reading The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jenifer Lee. It's an interesting history of Chinese-American food.

Glory87 11-07-2008 07:48 PM

I just finished The Genius and it was okay - it went one way, and then another. Ultimately, I liked it.

I am reading The Next Thing on My List but it's a little too much cookie cutter chick lit for me, it's too much like PS I Love You.

I have a ton of books on hold at the library and none to pick up! I am going on a trip next week to see my mom and have NOTHING to read on the plane. It is great sadness :( I am rarely in a book drought!

Shopaholic1204 11-07-2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billies Pottery (Post 2443218)
I read the Twilight series after my daughter read the first one. I always like to see what kind of stuff she is reading.

They are a good read even for a 30-something like me, my sis and aunt and grandma all devoured them soon after i told them about them.

The thing i like most about the series is that my daughter's BFF who never reads, but is boy crazy, got into the books and now she is on the forth book! She is in love with Edward and calls me all the time to talk about stuff in the books. My daughter quit reading the series in the 2nd book because she got mad at it.

Needless to say, i am taking the girls to the midnight showing of the movie in a couple weeks.

The books are a good read even if you are not into supernatural stuff because they are really more of a Romeo and Juliet type story, especially the first one.

So, now i am starting on Bram Stoker's Dracula. Because i feel like it would be a good thing to go back to the story that started the whole vampire craze.

Oh..Dracula is on my list of things to read next. You should read The Historian.

BTW: I'm going to the midnight showing too..and then later that night, I'll be going again with my friend, lol.

mazza 11-08-2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtammy (Post 2443089)
A couple of Agatha Christie recommendations - Christie had two main characters that were in many of her books (separately). I think a good choice to start with for the Miss Marple character is "The Body in the Library". A good beginning choice for the Hercule Poirot character is "The ABC Murders". This is not the first book with this character, but it is one of the stronger ones.

Ten Little Indians (also titled And then there were none) is also a good one, and doesn't have either of these characters in them.

Although her works carry some of the same characters, they aren't series, and you can read them in any order. Just don't read the two that were released posthumously - Curtains and Sleeping Murder - until you've read her other works.

Enjoy!

Awesome! Thanks for this :D

alinnell 11-08-2008 12:24 PM

Glory~just an FYI that I never did finish The Host. I just couldn't get into it. My son is reading it now, and he feels the same way.

I am so enjoying The Other that I just put his other three books on my wishlist at Amazon.com!!

ANOther 11-08-2008 01:04 PM

Finished The Race and am now starting The Spy Who Came For Christmas

I also picked up a couple of other Xmas novels: Santa Clawed by Rita Mae Brown and An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor

ETA 11.09: I also see Mary & Carol Higgins Clark have another one of their Xmas books (Dashing Through the Snow), I'll have to get that one too, I LOVED The Christmas Thief

nakedmango 11-08-2008 05:47 PM

I've been reading a lot of food books lately. I'm reading Thrive Diet that a co-worker lent me, in exchange for Skinny B!tch, which I just finished (and it was in large part responsible for that last convincing to transition to going vegan). And another coworker lent me In Defense of Food, which was amazing and I can't say enough good things about.

I'm also on page 1 of the preface of Picture of Dorian Grey, for my book club.

lovemylabs 11-08-2008 09:27 PM

I love Jody Picoult-GREAT GREAT
She has written many--The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, My Sisters Keeper

Reading new one by Nicholas Sparks; The Lucky One (it is good).

Just finished The Story of Edgar Sawtell. I really did like it.

I also really like Janet Evonovich (One for the Money, Two for the Dough.....her latest is Fearless Fourteen. These are really great to listen to on CD, the reader is very entertaining.

My all-time favorite book is Marley and Me, they are coming out with the movie Christmas day.

Shopaholic1204 11-10-2008 12:31 AM

I'm reading Eclipse now.

FrouFrou 11-10-2008 03:35 PM

Still working on The Innocent Man. Hoping to be finished in a couple of days so I can start another...not sure what, yet.

Cie 11-10-2008 03:43 PM

Careless in Red by Elizabeth George. Love English mysteries though she is American.

Chele615 11-10-2008 05:27 PM

I just finished reading "The Fat Girl's Guide to Life" by Wendy Shanker. It was alright...but I did get somewhat bored midway through. I plan on starting "The Next Thing on My List" this weekend. I bought it last month sometime because it sounded really good, but haven't had the chance to start it yet.

ollie27 11-10-2008 05:57 PM

Mumbo Jumbo by Ishmael Reed

Arlene Dallas 11-10-2008 07:04 PM

Conversations with the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer and just starting The Shack by Wm. Young for my book club. Thats in addition to all of the ongoing reading I have going with Louise Hay, Doreen Virtue, cookbooks and magazines.

Smiling_Sara 11-13-2008 06:05 PM

I just started The Godmother