3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Whatcha Reading Nov '08? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/155414-whatcha-reading-nov-08-a.html)

LisaMarie71 11-17-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 (Post 2455044)
omg!!! i love those books!!! i have them all!! lol

I'm about 3/4 of the way through it now -- I like it! I'll probably read them all. Can you recommend any other vampire series? Besides Twilight, of course, because (like the rest of the planet) I've already read all those!! I really want to see the movie but with a 3-month old baby it's going to be a bit tough to get out!

Shopaholic1204 11-17-2008 12:20 PM

Umm..I'm going to start reading the Sookie Stackhouse books soon. I saw the first one at the bookstore, so I'm gonna buy it. I also want to start reading Marked and all those books. Someone said Vampire Academy is good too. But those are like teen books. OH I really liked the books by Kerrelyn Sparks.

Shopaholic1204 11-17-2008 12:20 PM

I'm reading Breaking Dawn again.

Glory87 11-17-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 (Post 2456571)
I'm about 3/4 of the way through it now -- I like it! I'll probably read them all. Can you recommend any other vampire series? Besides Twilight, of course, because (like the rest of the planet) I've already read all those!! I really want to see the movie but with a 3-month old baby it's going to be a bit tough to get out!

I really liked Tanya Huff's vampire books: Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Pact and Blood Debt. They turned them into a TV show, but I've never seen it. The first 3-4 Anita Blake vampire hunter books are good, but the series drops off in quality fairly steeply after Obsidian Butterly (in my opinion). The first book is Guilty Pleasures and I really enjoyed it.

I also liked the first 2-3 Sookie Stackhouse books (but to me, they also suffer a decline in quality). The author, Charlaine Harris, is also writing a non vampire related series that I enjoy. The first book is Grave Sight about a woman who can sense the dead.

LisaMarie71 11-17-2008 06:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll look into them.

I finished Undead and Unwed today -- it was a nice bit of mindless fun!

I started reading the novel Whacked by Jules Asner. I can't tell if I like it yet -- it may be a bit too "Hollywood insider" for me, and I couldn't care less about that stuff. The author was a host of E! News a few years back, and I believe she's married to director Stephen Soderbergh.

Smiling_Sara 11-19-2008 01:13 PM

I'm about 120 pages into Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Really good so far!

Chele615 11-19-2008 02:44 PM

I read "The Next Thing on My List" this past weekend on my flights. I love flying somewhere for the main reason that it's usually like 2 hours (each way) of uninterrupted reading time!!! haha It was really good...highly recommend it! I kind of want to make my own list of things to do before I die now!

ForeverLove 11-19-2008 03:32 PM

Also in the process of re-reading the twilight saga for about the millionth time! haha. cant WAIT for the movie tomorrow night!!! and the Sookie Stackhouse books are very good. Theres just something about vampires and romance that really gets me going. haha

ANOther 11-25-2008 07:46 PM

About halfway through Grailblazers by Tom Holt

skinnyjenni 11-25-2008 08:04 PM

Don't laugh, but i am currently reading Harry Potter and the half blood prince again. Just a thing I do before I see a movie based on a book.

alinnell 11-26-2008 12:09 PM

Okay, I finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle (I didn't quite understand the last chapter but I really liked the overall story) and have moved onto The Other Queen. So far it is pretty much like the other two Phillipa Gregory books I've read.

Glory87 11-26-2008 05:54 PM

Oh, I hated the ending of Edgar Sawtelle!! That last chapter really pissed me off :)

I read Patricia Cornwell's Predator - laughably bad, Slummy Mummy - "Bridget Jones has a family knock off" and the new Stephen King book of short stories - not bad but not as good as some of his other collections. I'm currently reading Testimony by Anita Shreve, and it's pretty good.

alinnell 11-26-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glory87 (Post 2471418)
Oh, I hated the ending of Edgar Sawtelle!! That last chapter really pissed me off :)

Yeah. It was like he didn't know how to end it so he wrote that weird chapter!

ANOther 11-28-2008 11:23 AM

Finished Grailblazers last night and now starting Murder with All the Trimmings by Elaine Viets

LisaMarie71 11-28-2008 11:48 AM

Glory, I've read five or six books by Anita Shreve and have enjoyed them all. I believe Fortune's Rocks was my favorite. I have her A Wedding in December but haven't yet read it.

Since I last posted, I finished Whacked by Jules Asner, which was decent but a bit odd. Possibly one of the most unrelatable main characters ever, but that's not really clear until the end. It's kind of a weird little ride to go on. I also finished Girls in Pants, which is the third book in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. Since I started teaching 9th graders, I've taken to reading young adult stuff on occasion, and I like this series. I want to read the 4th book as well before renting the second movie (which is based on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books).

I've also been reading lots of books about babies and their sleep problems!! I'm currently on The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems. Suuuuure she will...

I just started reading Moral Disorder, a book of short stories by Margaret Atwood, my favorite living author. I'm not really in the mood for short stories, but I'm biding my time until I get my next shipment from Bookswim, which will include the next Queen Betsy vampire book and World Without End by Ken Follett.

Long post!