General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The Other by David Guterson. I really like it, although it was a tiny bit hard to start. I loved his Snow Falling on Cedars.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #17  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Prayerfully Yours: Creating the Bond Between Man and His Maker by Rabbi Abraham J. Twerski. After that I'm going to try Phantoms by Dean Koontz. My hubby said it was really good and he wants me to read it so we can talk about it.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #18  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Well of Lost Plots - Jasper Fford
I have fallen for Jasper Fford.

Last edited by greeneggsandtam; 11-07-2008 at 03:06 PM.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wrobleski (definitely a bear market book) and Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (excellent saga of the history of England)
I love LOOOONG books, and get sad when they're over...
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #20  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oops, I accidentally posted this on the October thread, so I'm reposting...

Ooooh, This is a dangerous thread!! I always end up seeing so many things here I want to add to my reading list. I just finished Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews (Don't bother is my review). I started Fearless Fourteen last night by Janet Evanovich. I'm also reading The Shack by William Young, but I keep putting it down and forgetting about it.

My daughter has read and re-read and re-read the Twilight series, but I just can't get far enough in them to be hooked. Plus I think she's told me so much about it that I know too much of the plot.

I've got a Jen Lancaster book requested. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Mazza, I adore Agatha Christie's books. She is my all time favorite author.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #21  
=D

Tammy - Thanks for responding! I'm going to go to the library this week to search for some good ol' Christie reading. Any suggestions on books of her's to start with?
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #22  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

A couple of Agatha Christie recommendations - Christie had two main characters that were in many of her books (separately). I think a good choice to start with for the Miss Marple character is "The Body in the Library". A good beginning choice for the Hercule Poirot character is "The ABC Murders". This is not the first book with this character, but it is one of the stronger ones.

Ten Little Indians (also titled And then there were none) is also a good one, and doesn't have either of these characters in them.

Although her works carry some of the same characters, they aren't series, and you can read them in any order. Just don't read the two that were released posthumously - Curtains and Sleeping Murder - until you've read her other works.

Enjoy!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #23  
Ashley

I'm reading "The Heroin Diaries: A Year In The Life Of A Shattered Rockstar"
Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #24  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
I'm reading "The Heroin Diaries: A Year In The Life Of A Shattered Rockstar"
I read that a few weeks back...what did you think???
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #25  
eat less, move more!

Height: 5' 2"

I read the Twilight series after my daughter read the first one. I always like to see what kind of stuff she is reading.

They are a good read even for a 30-something like me, my sis and aunt and grandma all devoured them soon after i told them about them.

The thing i like most about the series is that my daughter's BFF who never reads, but is boy crazy, got into the books and now she is on the forth book! She is in love with Edward and calls me all the time to talk about stuff in the books. My daughter quit reading the series in the 2nd book because she got mad at it.

Needless to say, i am taking the girls to the midnight showing of the movie in a couple weeks.

The books are a good read even if you are not into supernatural stuff because they are really more of a Romeo and Juliet type story, especially the first one.

So, now i am starting on Bram Stoker's Dracula. Because i feel like it would be a good thing to go back to the story that started the whole vampire craze.
Billies Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #26  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You should see the local library - you can't find the Twilight series on-shelf; it's by request only. They're that popular!

I'm reading The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jenifer Lee. It's an interesting history of Chinese-American food.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I just finished The Genius and it was okay - it went one way, and then another. Ultimately, I liked it.

I am reading The Next Thing on My List but it's a little too much cookie cutter chick lit for me, it's too much like PS I Love You.

I have a ton of books on hold at the library and none to pick up! I am going on a trip next week to see my mom and have NOTHING to read on the plane. It is great sadness I am rarely in a book drought!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #28  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billies Pottery View Post
I read the Twilight series after my daughter read the first one. I always like to see what kind of stuff she is reading.

They are a good read even for a 30-something like me, my sis and aunt and grandma all devoured them soon after i told them about them.

The thing i like most about the series is that my daughter's BFF who never reads, but is boy crazy, got into the books and now she is on the forth book! She is in love with Edward and calls me all the time to talk about stuff in the books. My daughter quit reading the series in the 2nd book because she got mad at it.

Needless to say, i am taking the girls to the midnight showing of the movie in a couple weeks.

The books are a good read even if you are not into supernatural stuff because they are really more of a Romeo and Juliet type story, especially the first one.

So, now i am starting on Bram Stoker's Dracula. Because i feel like it would be a good thing to go back to the story that started the whole vampire craze.
Oh..Dracula is on my list of things to read next. You should read The Historian.

BTW: I'm going to the midnight showing too..and then later that night, I'll be going again with my friend, lol.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #29  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
A couple of Agatha Christie recommendations - Christie had two main characters that were in many of her books (separately). I think a good choice to start with for the Miss Marple character is "The Body in the Library". A good beginning choice for the Hercule Poirot character is "The ABC Murders". This is not the first book with this character, but it is one of the stronger ones.

Ten Little Indians (also titled And then there were none) is also a good one, and doesn't have either of these characters in them.

Although her works carry some of the same characters, they aren't series, and you can read them in any order. Just don't read the two that were released posthumously - Curtains and Sleeping Murder - until you've read her other works.

Enjoy!

Awesome! Thanks for this
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Glory~just an FYI that I never did finish The Host. I just couldn't get into it. My son is reading it now, and he feels the same way.

I am so enjoying The Other that I just put his other three books on my wishlist at Amazon.com!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote