General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #46  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Probably, in part because my posts tend to be novel-length, but I've gone back and edited a single post more than a dozen times, because I found a typo or an error - or just an awkward statement I felt the need to revise (and then reread to make sure it was better - and then found something else I didn't like).

(this post took four edits - five if you count adding this postscript)

Last edited by kaplods; 11-01-2008 at 06:22 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
My biggest pet peeve is when people do not captialize the G in God. Not as in 'gods' but as in 'God'.
But some of us don't believe in "God" ... so to us he's just another god - little "g". I respect your right to believe what you want to believe, but I don't want to be forced to believe it too. However, when I am referring to the Christian God or to Jesus, I do treat them as proper names in context.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-01-2008 at 07:36 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #48  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
But some of us don't believe in "God" ... so to us he's just another god - little "g". I respect your right to believe what you want to believe, but I don't want to be forced to believe it too. However, when I am referring to the Christian God or to Jesus, I do treat them as proper names in context.

Not sure how putting a big G on the word God forces anyone to believe anything........those that do believe just use God instead of god out of respect to our Lord.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #49  

Quote:
Not sure how putting a big G on the word God forces anyone to believe anything........those that do believe just use God
The statement was made that someone was upset when OTHERS didn't capitalize the word. Those that do believe are welcome to use "God". I prefer to use god. I don't think that someone should be upset at my belief system or my choice of what kind of god I choose to invoke.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-02-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #50  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
The statement was made that someone was upset when OTHERS didn't capitalize the word. Those that do believe are welcome to use "God". I prefer to use god. I don't think that someone should be upset at my belief system or my choice of what kind of god I choose to invoke.

She said it was a pet peeve of her's when someone didn't capitalize God, not that she was upset....but I didn't understand how you felt that you were being forced to believe "anything" by her post.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #51  

I never said her *post* forced anyone to believe anything.

I said that getting "peeved" (if the word "upset" annoys you) that others don't capitalize the word "God" is indirectly saying that you're peeved that they don't buy into your belief system.

I choose not to capitalize the word god because I don't believe in an all knowing, all powerful god.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #52  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:

To me it seemed like, in your quote above, you felt like you were being forced into believing something....I didn't see anything in her post that would suggest that.

Really makes no difference to me whether you big G or little g God...it is a personal relationship with Him that we all have or not. As for me...it's a big G!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #53  
livin life

S/C/G: 153/149/125

Height: 5"4

Ok so I was at my mils tonight and she said something like it looks unwindy I think she meant not that windy I couldnt help but giggle because I knew I had to share it since we had been talking about this, i just thought it was to funny
ray of sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:54 AM   #54  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

hehe- well some family made up words are fun - we have a lot of them in my house. sort of our weird version of "couple speak" i guess. better then baby talk- yuck!

i had a friend named Wendy who would get upset if someone complained about it being windy- and said it's not her fault- it's blowy. heh. i've always just said blowy since then, knowing it's not right and just in fun.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #55  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

I hate this too.

Quote:
Oh, and one final thing - I HATE (loathe, despise) texting jargon used on a message board or in email. I text plenty and use the appropriate abbreviations then, but on a message board, if someone consistently uses things like "ur" and "b4" and other texting abbreviations, I'll stop reading their posts. It annoys me that much.

My biggest pet peeve on message boards, People who don't use paragraphs!

At first glance, my instinct is to exit. Which I have done on numerous times. Unless of course the subject speaks to me, is pertinent to me, or I feel I can help in some way. If that's the case then I read the replies first to either validate or invalidate my intial feeling. If validated, then I will go back and read the original post.

The war I rage between my desire to help and my wanting to .

sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #56  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i agree- honestly if i see loose instead of lose i usually just go to a different thread. i feel a little bit like a jerk when i do it. i do the same for the text jargon too. if i have to work that hard to figure out what they're trying to say- it's not worth it.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #57  
Made of Starstuff

Confession on this note:

Quote:
Oh, and one final thing - I HATE (loathe, despise) texting jargon used on a message board or in email. I text plenty and use the appropriate abbreviations then, but on a message board, if someone consistently uses things like "ur" and "b4" and other texting abbreviations, I'll stop reading their posts. It annoys me that much.
If a message (even a text) includes the phrase "ur" I don't read it. Ever.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #58  

Quote:
Ok so I was at my mils tonight and she said something like it looks unwindy I think she meant not that windy
Oh I use made up words all the time in speaking. I told my guy the other night that I verbed a certain word (i.e. made a noun into a verb (like Googled)) and he just looked at me like I'd lost my mind and rolled his eyes. He's a PhD scientist, though, so I guess he's often more literal than I am. *grin*

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-02-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

Once, I had to quit a board because of all of the grammar errors that the posters made. I can't help but think that people are not very intelligent when their writing is consumed with simple grammar/spelling errors.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I love this thread, because I'm a huge grammar and spelling snob. I don't mind the occasional mistake (and I certainly make mistakes myself), but carelessness bothers me when it's taken to the extreme. I'm a high school English teacher, so you can imagine the nightmare that is my life!! Seeing the mistakes made by 9th and 10th graders every day and trying to correct them -- oh my!

One of my biggest pet peeves is the apostrophe problem. Not only in "its" and "it's" (I really hate that, and once I called a company to make them fix their sign because it said "Photography At It's Finest" and I couldn't stand driving by it every day), but also just extraneous apostrophes added to plural words for no reason. "Book's for Sale" -- book's what? What does the book own? Arrrrggghhh!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote