General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Default Reusable shopping bags

I'm a fan of reusable shopping bags, but I'm having a hard time using my Trader Joe's bags into any store other than Trader Joe's. (I know, it shouldn't really matter, but that's just me.) All the ones I have are these heavy cloth types and taking just 6 or 8 into the store takes up so much basket space, too.

So I've been looking at more generic types of bags. I can't decide what to buy! Help me decide.

Should I get the baggu bags (they come in so many colors!):
http://baggubag.com/SHOP.html

Or these really cute retro themed bags:
http://www.delight.com/Envirosax-Del...e-Grocery-Bags

Of course, these are named after my dog:
http://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Reusa.../dp/B000F2HNN0

But I've heard some people think the flat bottom bags are better:
http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Groce...ref=pd_sim_k_2

I have to admit my #1 choice are the retro ones, but the baggu ones make the most sense as you can order the little carrying case so they're easier to lug around.

Last edited by alinnell; 09-23-2008 at 06:14 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I bought mine at Jewel for $1. They're the flat bottomed bags, with a heavy plastic bottom thingie.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I would go for the flat-bottomed bags. They are easier to pack, I have found.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I like a bag with enough of a handle/strap that I can carry over my shoulder, as opposed to just in my hand (I walk to the store and back a lot to save gas and get exercise, so I need something I can carry things back in easily). The retro ones just don't appear to have enough handle for me.

I use an assortment of tote bags I've had forever...one from a local market, one that was used as the out of town basket at my sister's wedding, one I got from Pikes Place Market in Seattle...I basically just collect them from wherever.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #5  
it's always something

I use Chico bags and buy them at our local natural food store for 3.99. They are easy to stuff into my purse or glovebox.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I would guess that the flat-bottomed bags were the best functionally. It seems to me that they would have the best chance of staying upright in a car in addition to being easiest to pack.

Like Mandalinn, I use an assortment that I have collected over the years. None of them have flat bottoms, but one is heavy duty, insulated and water proof, and I always use that one for my frozen foods.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use a random assortment of totes that I mostly bought at thrift stores and garage sales, each for under $2 and most for under $1. I bought one from a grocery store, and was disappointed with the material the "reusable" bags are made of. While the thrift store totes I buy are mostly made of heavy duty fabric like cotton or polyester canvas. I also bought some factory end cord at a sell out salvage store, and crocheted a few market bags.

The flat bottom, canvas totes, at least around here, are very easy to find, and usually sell for 50 cents to a dollar. A few have promotional logos (mostly schools, libraries, and art fairs, it seems), but most are generic totes and beach bags. I like the cotton canvas, because they can be thrown in the wash with the towels.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-20-2009 at 11:14 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I like the flat-bottom bags for groceries. They pack better and sit better. They also lie flat in the trunk of my scooter.

I bought one from every store in town that I shop at. Somehow, it doesn't bother me if I take in a bunch of different bags, including at least ONE from the store I am shopping at, and not a bunch from their competitor.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Allison, I did a lot of research and finally bought Baggus. They are pricey, but I love them (and believe it or not, so does DH), and I know they are built to LAST. they are small and scrunchable, so I can carry them in my purse (I don't use the little bags they come in - just scrunch 'em and throw 'em in my purse).

Let us know what you decide on... there are so many kinds!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #10  
ugggg.....

I have several of the flat bottom bags with the heavy piece of plastic in the bottom, a few of the insulated for cold or frozen items and a few canveas I like for veggies. The flat bottomed ones fold up nice and I tuck everything into one of those.

I do like your first option and the fact there is a bag that you can stuff 10 into.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #11  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I like the flat bottom ones for groceries...you can definitely pack more in them and they're better if you are driving rather than walking. I also collect them from everywhere and I don't care which bags I bring in to which stores. It just doesn't seem too important to me.

I really like the retro bags, and that type of style, to carry around in my purse so I always have something available.

So maybe the answer is...all are good?
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I've made a ton of them. Cheap and cute with sale fabric....and so much more stylish than the grocery store bags...if that matters to you at least.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #13  
Operator265

I just got a little roller cart from my neighbor's garage sale for when I walk to the store. I made a mistake one time and bought too much stuff. The walk home darned near tore my arms off.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #14  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I bought several from the grocery store I shop in the most. They look a lot like the flat bottomed ones from Amazon - grocery tote bags. They've got the grocery store logo on them and were half the price (99 cents each) of the Amazon ones. I feel a little squeamish taking them into other stores, but I do. I've taken them into Sam's, Target & another grocery chain. One of the managers of the other grocery chain was bagging my groceries and offered in a friendly kidding way to cross off the competitor's logo and hand write his store's name in its place. I like the idea of having a collection from multiple stores. I may do that as I need to buy additional or replace bags.

I really like using these. You can fit a lot in them and don't have to make a millions trips to bring in groceries in the plastic sacks. And of course I get to feel better about not dumping additional plastic bags into the environment. The rigid plastic bottoms mean you can carry a gallon of milk or a large juice container or a bunch of cans in one. You can make them so heavy you'd prefer not to carry them. I've also used them to tote other bulky non-grocery stuff around. These do have handles that are long enough to go over my shoulder.

I have a large insulated bag (you can lay it down flat and fit two large pizza boxes inside to carry the pizzas home hot - not that I would be involved in eating any of them once they got home. Or you can stand it upright and pile in the stuff you want to stay cold on the way home from Sam's or the grocery.) I don't take it into the store. When everything is empty, I fold up the grocery bags and store them inside the insulated bag.

(By the way, when I saw the thread title, the thought crossed my mind to hijack the thread and ask how people felt about taking bags into competitor's stores. So I was pleased to see that was part of your post.)

Last edited by WebRover; 09-23-2008 at 09:25 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #15  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I looked at the reusable bags that our local Giant grocery store sells for a long, long time. I thought 'how could much fit in there?' They went on sale 2/$1 so I bought 10. WOW, do I love these. They are flat-bottomed and hold a TON of stuff. I use 10 for a weekly shopping trip; if I still used the plastic bags I would use at least twenty for the same trip. They have a removable plastic bottom which you can wipe down if stuff gets stuck on it. Oh and they don't tip over in the back of the car when I drive!

HOWEVER -- I still put raw meats into plastic bags. I didn't do this last week and the plastic on the pork chops ripped and it leaked raw pork juice all over the bottom of the bag. Eeeewwww! Lesson learned.

I will get the plastic bags when my supply runs low because I do reuse them for poopy-scooping.

One note -- I read that the process to make these bags (they are not canvas but made of some kind of poly-something or other) is just as bad and/or costs more money and/or is more polluting than the plastic bags. Don't know if that's true or not.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote