General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default Fake Beijing 2008 - Very disappointing!

The 08 Olympics seem so horrible!
Pls excuse all the quotes and links, I just wanted to give as idea of wat I've been hearing about.
Like the Girl who sang the opening song was dumped as she wasnt 'pretty' enough, was chubby and had uneven teeth.

Some of the fireworks were CGI

And finally a young dancer was paralysed rehersing, that may have been prevented if healthy and safety meaures where in place.

"Nine-year-old Lin Miaoke became a celebrity in China after she "sang" a patriotic ballad in front of 91,000 people and a television audience of over one billion during last week's spectacular show."
"Qigang, revealed that Lin was not singing but miming to a recording by another girl, Yang Peiyi, who was dumped from the starring role because she wasn't as pretty and had uneven teeth. "

But it later emerged the real voice belonged to chubby seven-year-old Yang Peiyi, who was deemed not attractive enough to go on stage, and that the switch was ordered by a politburo member of China's ruling Communist party"

"Some Beijing Olympic Fireworks Faked
Because one organization is responsible for filming the Olympics -- Beijing Olympic Broadcasting -- foreign TV networks had no choice but to accept the altered video."

" Chinese dancer injured in opening ceremony rehearsal 'paralysed' "
"the Telegraph has learned from a separate source that the Chinese authorities had been given warnings about the need for improved safety measures at rehearsals but that these were disregarded. "
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #2  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I heard about that story about that little girl. It's so sad because she's so talented and she's so adorable. I'm really stunned that they did that to her.

I'm really disappointed in this years summer olympics.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

What a truly horrifying thing. I wander if the organizers or these events realize what long-term damage they've probably done to such a young girl..

Last edited by Spoz; 08-13-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

That's terrible, I did not know about the paralyzed dancer. Poor girl.
I did read about the lip-synching fake singer on CNN's site yesterday. I find it quite pathetic. The actual 7 year singer was quoted as having said that she was honoured to sing in the opening ceremony - yeah, right. Show me a 7-year old who would use those words. I am sure it was a Politburo's carefully worded version.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

And here is another one:

IOC turns blind eye to controversy over China's kiddie gymnasts
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #6  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I doubt they care about how the rejected girl feels, or even thought about her feelings for even a split second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
What a truly horrifying thing. I wander if the organizers or these events realize what long-term damage they've probably done to such a young girl..
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #7  
KLK

They have such baby-faces. I understand that gymnasts are always petite, but there's more to looking mature than body size/breast size, etc. It's all in the face and imo they look like kiddies.

And I find it funny that the Chinese government "swears" they're all over 16; as though one could believe what the Chinese government says lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #8  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

It's not surprising at all. It's China. Come on now. If you have more than one dog, they come to your house and kill it. If your first pregnancy is a daughter, they abort it. They have "Euthanization (sp?) Vans" ( for people! much like Ambulance vans) to make eutheniasia more portable. They blast chemicals into the sky to make the smog and clouds go away (which really helps their pollution problem, I'm sure).

I usually have a huge appreciation for different cultures and societies. But modern-age China usually isn't one of them.

Last edited by GradPhase; 08-13-2008 at 04:43 PM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #9  
KLK

Personally, I'm still in the camp that believes China shouldn't have been given the honor of hosting the Olympics AT ALL, regardless of how impressive the opening ceremony was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskinomad View Post
It's not surprising at all. It's China. Come on now. If you have more than one dog, they come to your house and kill it. If your first pregnancy is a daughter, they abort it. They have "Euthanization (sp?) Vans" ( for people! much like Ambulance vans) to make eutheniasia more portable. They blast chemicals into the sky to make the smog and clouds go away (which really helps their pollution problem, I'm sure).

I usually have a huge appreciation for different cultures and societies. But modern-age China usually isn't one of them.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #10  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I agree with KLK I am still wondering how they won the bid. There are too many political and safety issues. I understand that sports should stand on its own. But really. What subject is really independent with no external factors/infulences. And by the news reports, politics has not stayed out of sports.

Last edited by JuliaDH; 08-13-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling...thats what I get for cooking & posting!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I've been studying a lot about Chinese culture since I'm almost finished my training as an ESL teacher.

Keep in mind that in Chinese culture that this IS okay. It is not the same as what we believe, but many cultures would take no issue with it.

Just like in tons of countries, it is considered good to cheat. In a lot of cultures, including China, by directly copying someone's work you are "honouring them". Same for places like the Ukraine, etc.

I do feel bad for that girl, but I doubt she really does. She probably feels very proud that her voice was used. I am sure some of you think that this is crazy, but they do not look at it from that perspective. I also do not think that it would have a major impact on her self-image like some of us would think. Looking at it from an adult female North American perspective can be faulty.

Of course, there are major issues in China such as lack of free speech, dentention centres, and corruption regarding environmental concerns. I am not really commenting on those because several books could be written about that, but I think this singing issue is being overblown and a Western backlash about it is really showing a lack of understanding for another culture.

Last edited by sacha; 08-13-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #12  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Thanks for your insights Sacha, I know I was upset for that young girl but sometimes we forget that the way some cultures view things is very different than the way we do. I really hope that is the case that she is honored.

I was appalled that Bejing got the Olympics because of the pollution. It seems unfair to expose athletes who more than most treat their bodies like temples to the pollution. That being said, I am really enjoying the competition and the accomplishments of the athletes. What's done is done, now it is about the athletes.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #13  
KLK

I totally agree -- I don't think you can compare how a typical US child would react to being told "you're too ugly to be on TV, but we'll use your voice!" to how a typical Chinese child would; those two children would HAVE TO have difference sensibilities about such things bc of how different the cultures are. So, I agree the girl herself is probably not as offended as we are for her.

But the accusations of cheating/lying are serious, imo, to maintain the integrity of the Olympic games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I do feel bad for that girl, but I doubt she really does. She probably feels very proud that her voice was used. I am sure some of you think that this is crazy, but they do not look at it from that perspective. I also do not think that it would have a major impact on her self-image like some of us would think. Looking at it from an adult female North American perspective can be faulty.

Of course, there are major issues in China such as lack of free speech, dentention centres, and corruption regarding environmental concerns. I am not really commenting on those because several books could be written about that, but I think this singing issue is being overblown and a Western backlash about it is really showing a lack of understanding for another culture.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I gotta say, I think this year's American athletes are a set of the most interesting in Olympic history. I have enjoyed watching the swimming and gymnastics the most. This was the first time I had ever seen kayaking as an event. I don't know if just a recent even, but it's marvelous. As far as the Olympics being held in China, strange decision.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And then there are the "Granny Police" in your workplace checking female employees of child bearing age to see if they are having their periods.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote