General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Diet And Death?

Hey all...

I was almost getting ready for work this morning, when my mom called me at 7 am and asked what I was doing - So I told her and then she proceeded to tell me my grandpa had passed away last night at midnight. So an hour 'n a half after I went to bed, he died. He was very ill, 4 days ago my auntie sent me a message on facebook saying he was sick, but had been released from the hospital, so I figured we'd give him a couple months to live - NOT 4 days!!!!!!!!!

So I contimplated telling my sister before she went to work... So I did. She was awake, and getting ready - Told her to sit down, and then told her "Grandpa died last night at midnight". She screamed and started to cry.

Now with this news, I've been eating everything in sight. I had cheesecake, M&M's, you name it... Not good at all for my diet! Absolutely not. I've been trying to stay away from it, but it hasn't helped. I went back to bed trying to keep myself from binging, but I got up and did the same thing.

How do I get through this without over eating?
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #2  
Operator265

I'm am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I don't know what to tell you about binging since I go the opposite way when stressed, but I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. May you be blessed in this tough time.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I am so sorry for your loss and pain

I'm really unsure of what to say... I respond the same way when I feel hurt and stressed out, I turn to food (usually sweet food). I know how hard it is to not turn to comfort food during a difficult time.

The one suggestion I can offer is to try different ways of coping like talking about how you are feeling with someone you trust (or to an empty room - works for some people), writing your feelings out, going for walks (for the relaxation), exercise for some people, playing with a pet, taking relaxing baths, listening to music, trying to pamper yourself as much as you can, going to a bereavement group, and anything that will make you feel better that is healthy.

Hang in there I will keep you in my thoughts.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I am sorry for your loss.

While I was doing great on my eating last year I lost my mom and grandma. I tried to take care of myself, and continue good habits, like I knew my mom would want me to.

I made "grandma Judi's chili" to remind me of her and memories our family had on get togethers.

Maybe you could make a dish that reminds you of your grandpa and then get back on track.

Prayers for your pain.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #5  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I am so sorry that you lost your Grandfather.

First thing is, don't have foods like M&M's or cheesecake around your house so you won't be tempted to eat it. Clean out all of the unhealthy food (banish it from your house permanently-as in "the rest of your life" permanently) and keep only healthy food around... that way, when you feel the urge to snack, you'll have healthy food available... I like to keep grapes on hand always, they make great snacks and are ready available. I cut up celery and have baby carrots in the refrigerator ready to eat. I always have apples and clementines (or tangerines, etc.) out on the counter to grab too. If you don't have that unhealthy around, you won't be eating it no matter what is going on in your life. It's what has really helped me a great deal. I no longer consider foods like cookies, M&M's, cake, cheesecake, donuts, etc. a part of my healthy eating plan (permanently). Now strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mixed in plain yogurt is considered a treat for me. Just thought I'd share this with you to maybe help you make that you keep in your kitchen is the food that is going to help you be successful with losing weight and eating healthy.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #6  

Sorry for the loss of your Grandfather.
to you and your family.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #7  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm so sorry about your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. I don't have much advice because I tend to eat emotionally and death of a loved one is a hard thing for me to handle. All I can say is that it won't help to beat yourself up about eating because of your loss-that would make it worse for me. Just realize that after some time the pain will become easier to manage without the food. Try to stock up on some healthier options in the meantime. Hugs for you and your family.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #8  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

we actually just lost my grandfather 2 weeks ago- and i basically did the same thing. i don't have any advice that hasn't already been given - i can only say that you'll get through it and get back on track and be okay. when you feel terrible or stressed - that's a good time to go for a walk or do whatever exercise you normally do.

I posted a thread on dealing w/ stress when it was all happening and i got a lot of great suggestions on how to deal w/ it without eating...

Its been a couple of weeks for me, and things are getting back to normal. They will for you too.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #9  
carinna

My condolences to you and your family. It's always hard when a loved one passes away.

Try not to stock up on those foods. out of sight, out of mind. And tell yourself your gramps wouldnt want you to eat unhealthily on account of his passing.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather

I completely understand what you are going through. My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and when I heard the news, I wanted to eat everything in my path for comfort. It's a natural inclination... death sure does put a crimp in your dieting plans

For me, the best fight against emotional eating is to remember that if I ate my way to obesity once, I can do it again if I am not careful. When I was still overweight, I just kept picturing myself in the slim, healthy body and thought about all the shopping I'd do.

The other thing that helped me with my grandmother's death and binge eating was thinking to myself, "Would my grandmother want me to be binge eating? She would probably console me from above if she could and she would let me know that she really was suffering so much on earth and it was just her time to go."
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote