General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #106  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
If you tried to feed me any canned vegetables, I'd throw them back at you. Really, canned veggies? Those are eww.
Agreed, for the most part that is.

I use canned mushrooms on occasion. They'll do in a pinch as part of a veggie saute with egg white omlettes. I also keep canned tomatoes in the house. And I happen to make a great salad using White Shoepeg corn.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #107  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I love well-cooked/roasted peppers (especially red and Italian) but I *DETEST* the taste/smell/texture/everything of raw or lightly cooked peppers. If it's still crunchy, I just cannot eat it. It makes me gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblue View Post
I absolutely loathe the smell of bell peppers. I walk across the aisle at the market to avoid them. The smell actually gives me an intense headache.

Oddly enough, I don't mind the taste of the raw peppers, and I like them when they are cooked. Go figure. It took me years to be able to get past the smell to bring myself to taste them, though.

I periodically retry the veggies I can't stand--rutabagas, cooked greens of any sort (love them raw), and Brussels sprouts. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the secret of cooking them just right and actually like them.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I eat a lot of canned beans - chick peas, great northerns, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans. I do cook them from scratch occasionally (esp if I'm making soup), but they are a staple on my grocery list. I put them in salads several times a week.

I also buy the occasional can of peas, which I also love atop a salad (sorry to the canned pea haters). Yes, frozen are much better - or fresh are the best yet.

I even love brussel sprouts, especially the baby frozen kind, which I saute until they carmelize - yum.

I'm trying to think of a veggie I do not like, and I can't think of any... I bet dorian would be very unappealing to me, though!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblue View Post

I periodically retry the veggies I can't stand--rutabagas, cooked greens of any sort (love them raw), and Brussels sprouts. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the secret of cooking them just right and actually like them.
When I was in colleges (ages and ages ago), I decided I would learn to like broccoli. I was shocked to discover it worked. Then I did the same with coffee, cantaloupe (became a FAVORITE) and even cheesecake (no idea why I had a block about it, but in retrospect maybe it wasn't so smart to learn to like that ). It was just a revelation to me that I could change my tastes so much. So now, I'm always working on learning to like something. Right now, it's fish.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #110  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Durian is one of the only foods I don't like. It is horribly stinky and tastes so bizarre. I can't think of many things I do not like amongst the plant-based foods, but durian is at the top of my list.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #111  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I do eat SOME canned foods. Canned tomatoes (not really a veggie), canned beans (again not really a veggie) and a few other things. I generally prefer frozen or fresh. I tried canned asparagus once (Costco got me) and it was disgusting. Of course real asparagus is amazingly good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #112  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I end up having this conversation a LOT:

Someone: Let's get some sushi
Me: Oh, I really can't eat sushi, but I can find something else to order if we go somewhere that has a full menu (ie, not -just- sushi)
Someone: But sushi is great! Have you tried it??
Me: Yes, I've tried it. Several times. I really don't care for it.
Someone: Well, where have you had it? Sometimes the (reason sushi might not be good is usually inserted here). At (presumably better sushi restaurant) its not like that.
Me: No, that won't help.
Someone: Well you really need to try it!

At this point, I'm usually guilty of saying something that people would consider "rude" toward sushi - that it makes me gag. Because it does - literally. Sheets of seaweed make me physically gag. I cannot help it. I have, in fact, tried many times to get sushi. I've tried getting rolls where the rice is rolled on the outside of the seaweed. I always end up gagging (which, I assure you, is more offensive to my dinnermates than me refusing to "just try one bite"). Gag reflexes can't be helped! I can get nigiri, but I've got about a 3 piece limit before it makes my stomach hurt, so I can't make a meal of it.

Worst is when people start telling me that "it's just psychological". I don't deny that it might be. That doesn't prevent me from gagging, though, so its sort of beside the point.

Some people have issues with vegetables that no amount of different cooking technique will fix. An entire side of my partner's family won't eat asparagus because it makes their pee smell.

My personal motto is to not comment on what other people eat/order/say about their eating preferences, unless I happen to be cooking for them. If I am, I ask if they have any restrictions...and if they say something like "I don't like veggies", I make sure I make some extra of the non-veggie stuff so they can eat it, and put the veggies out anyway. Beyond that, I don't think its really any of my concern.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #113  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Wow...and here I thought I was coming into a thread of people like me who don't like veggies!

I'm sure Robin and nelie will just glance over this because they've read it a million times before but I really don't like many veggies at all. Of course, I love corn and potatoes, but having recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, those are eaten quite infrequently. I've found I can tolerate lettuce in salads, spaghetti squash when cooked to practically mush, and steamed cauliflower and broccoli if they have some sort of sauce or cheese on them.

Oh, and I do like pickles But I have high blood pressure, so I have to watch my sodium, and sweet pickles are my favorite, but I have to watch my sugar now, too.

I do try different veggies, though, so I promise I'm not one of the people the original OP was complaining about. I remember I used to eat peas and carrots when I was younger, but now they literally make me gag. I find bell peppers to be completely offensive. I got a salad recently at a restaurant that did not list red peppers as an ingredient, but it had them in it when the salad arrived. I didn't notice since there was so much else going on in the salad until I took a bite and shuddered.

I'm hoping if I keep adding broccoli and cauliflower to my meals in many different ways that maybe my taste buds will eventually accept some new veggies as well. I keep trying--I like fresh salsa, tomato sauce, tomato soup, and ketchup, but biting a plain raw tomato slice or a cherry or grape tomato makes my skin crawl.

But at least I can say I've tried them. My veggie list is very short, but it's not by choice, nor is it by ignorance. I've boiled, steamed, microwaved, dipped, dressed, seasoned, roasted, baked, chopped, and mashed--and then thrown away--more servings of veggies than I can count on all my fingers and toes

If I were at dinner with someone (or anywhere, really, even on here) who said they ate lots of veggies, I wouldn't respond with, "eww!" Rather, I would sigh and long to do the same. Lots of (non-starchy) veggies sure helps in cutting calories and carbs.

I haven't tried eggplant. That will be next on my list.

Last edited by jillybean720; 06-23-2008 at 01:32 PM.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #114  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Jill, I swear you were the first person I thought of when first saw this thread.

I was thinking, "Jill has tried every vegetable on earth in every possible concoction, variation, and style and she still doesn't like many vegetables- but certainly not for lack of trying!"

Some folks just can't dig it.

ETA: And regarding eggplant, I consider vegetables to be a passion of mine, but eggplant is something I've never been able to tolerate. You'll have to report back on that one. I think it would be kinda funny if you happened to like them!

Last edited by junebug41; 06-23-2008 at 06:07 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #115  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I roast cubes of eggplant, then mix them with tomato sauce. You barely taste them but they give the sauce a lot of bulk and lots of fiber/deliciousness.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #116  
Turbo Girl!

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I love vegetables in soups, granted they are veggies i'd eat otherwise. I dont eat MANY veggies, but i've tried a few that I used to never consider. If theres something that I havent tried, if asked I just say I dont know because I havent tried it and leave it at that. lol
Lunabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #117  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I roast cubes of eggplant, then mix them with tomato sauce. You barely taste them but they give the sauce a lot of bulk and lots of fiber/deliciousness.
I do that a lot with zucchini, which I always thought of as eggplant-like. However, I've only had it cooked by others, so maybe I need to cook it under "my terms".
Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #118  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Of my gosh, Jilly, I immediately thought of you as well the second I saw this thread. And many times in between. I know that you have bent over backwards to try and *like* veggies, but without much luck. I also know that you would not be one of the people saying "ewwww" to veggies or any other thing that some one was eating and that you didn't care for.

Eggplant is one veggie I don't like very much. Well scratch that. I do LOVE it. But only if it's dipped in eggs, breaded, then fried and then drenched in marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #119  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you are going to try eggplant, I'd highly recommend japanese or chinese eggplant versus american eggplant. I really don't like the regular american eggplant you find in stores. I do love the long asian varieties (the small asian varieties like thai and indian aren't my favorite). I recommend grilling them or roasting them in the oven with thin, long slices.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #120  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Eggplant is one veggie I don't like very much. Well scratch that. I do LOVE it. But only if it's dipped in eggs, breaded, then fried and then drenched in marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese.
I could drench an old gym sock in batter, fry it, and dip in cheese and mozzarella and I would probably like it!