General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I heard the one got the 24 year old guy to impregnat her. The story I heard said the community kind of "Supports" teen pregnancy, they have child care at school and special teen mom programs. These 17 girls said they thought it would "B e fun, to raise their babies together".

I have a 14 year old daughter and this type of thing scares the bejeezus outta me. We talked the other night when it was on the news. Her first response was OMG..HOW Stupid Are They?? She is baby sitting full time this summer, she that is a real eye opener. She said she loves the kids and they are great, but come 5:00 she is ready for their mom to get home!! No way does she want a baby for a LONG Time...and she's gonna adopt her first one.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #17  
prepare for the BEST time

I roll my eyes when I hear the news shows quote "Jamie-Lynn's going to be an AMAZING Mom"......while her own mother is selling pictures and promoting teen pregnancy.

what's going to happen to these girls? they will remain mothers and have cut their chances of higher education, jobs and social life....what kind of group mentality do they have? How will they juggle it all? Has anyone heard of an interview with their parents? Are the Massachusetts school system so enmassed (sp) with pregnant teens that they have daycare for HIGH SCHOOL????

the lack of plain old common sense just boggles the mind.....
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #18  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Actually, there are organizations out there with teens/preteens and celibacy pacts. I saw a group of them at the zoo one day.
Were they wandering freely or in cages? (sorry, couldn't resist )

My daughter just graduated from HS -- there were several kids pregnant in her school. There is no 'wrongness' associated w/this in the kid's eyes -- these kids see the Jamie Lynn's of the world and think its the norm. Where are their parent's in all of this? No, parents cannot account for every second of their kid's time but are they not teaching their kid's anything? If they aren't teaching their kid's morals can't they at least teach them about safe sex? Then again, if the kids are getting pregnant to 'have someone to love them' they must not have much parenting going on to begin with, huh? A very sad state if you ask me. Too much 'anything goes' type attitude in this country.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #19  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Also, we've got the Christina Aguileras, and the Nicole Ritchies who can go from 9 months pregnant to pre-baby weight in what seems like only weeks - so it's glamorized even more.

Not that it's BAD that they get back to pre-baby weight so fast, of course ---- just that they make it look flawless to impressionable teens. Babies are the new accessory, like small dogs in weird bags, and stick on jewels for cell phones. Since all the celebrities starting reproducing at the same time, magazines are now overloaded with most popular baby product or nursery decoration instead of the best hair products or this seasons shoe style.

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Their screw ups are our idolizations.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 167/130/120

Height: 5'3

I'm 16 years old and one of my friends had a baby recently - still a pretty rare occurrance over here.. But this pact thing sounds literally insane - I don't think those girls are in their right mind! It sounds like some weird ritual.

Last edited by Mongoose; 06-20-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #21  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

The media makes it appear that teen pregnancy is GLAMOROUS! What isn't happening is parents aren't telling their children/teens that becoming pregnant isn't a FASHION Statment.. it's not a FAD... (did you see in article how the girls were high fiving and getting excited about a baby shower?!?!) It's a child - a life that you're bringing into this world... Children don't go out of fashion or out of style.. they are forever..

I'm sorry I've heard of parents throwing baby showers for their unwed teen daughters and I think it's a disgrace.. it's a fact of life and teen pregnancy does happen - However it's nothing to applaud and celebrate...

What a mess..

Last edited by Marathon Mom; 06-20-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't think teens have to be from bad homes to feel unloved. Most (maybe even all) teens subjected to any rules & parenting feel unloved.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

This is a sad situation, certainly different than when I went to high school (back in the ice age) . High school girls who got pregnant were looked down upon. I also wonder who is going to pay for prenatal care, hospital bill. buy a crib, pampers, baby food, etc. I strongly suspect that welfare is in the future for these girls.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #24  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I also wonder who is going to pay . . . I strongly suspect that welfare is in the future for these girls.
Abosultely. And who pays for welfare? Ultimately, WE do. An ounce of prevention . . .
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #25  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Most (maybe even all) teens subjected to any rules & parenting feel unloved.
IMO it's the kids who have no rules who feel the most unloved. Loving parents discipline their kids out of love.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #26  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I ABSOLUTELY agree with MurphMitch.

It's the families with parents too uninvolved to care about setting rules that end up in the most turmoil.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #27  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
An ounce of prevention . . .
Or, in this case, 10 cc.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

These girl who look up to Nicole Richie and Jamie Lynn Spears as role models are forgetting that Nicole and Jamie Lynn have no money problems , also the boyfriends are in the picture. I have heard that these pregnant high schoolers have become pregnant via the one night stand route.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #29  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
IMO it's the kids who have no rules who feel the most unloved. Loving parents discipline their kids out of love.
Gee I dunno ANNE Next Saturday was to be the big graduation party, for my nephew, (I have been his legal guardian for 7 years)...just like for my son ~ 4.0+ ~ daughter 4.0+ ~ step-daughter 4.0+ ....Knucklehead nephew....probably smarter than any of them....got a "solid" 1.8....with low marks for conduct and participation. Uncle Gary does not...repeat DOES NOT give parties for 1.8 GPA's!

It is our family "once a month get together for dinner night" so everyone will still be here...but no party focused on him!

Now then, he has joined the NAVY...will be heading out in Sept. He does get a "party" for that!

ANYWAY...he HATES ME right now....poor baby....I feel so bad
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #30  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

He might "hate" you right now, but I'm sure he knows exactly why you're skipping the party. He has to know he is loved.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote