General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #1  

Default Why do people need to comment?

I am at work in the kitchen making my lunch. A size -2 walks in and says "MY! What a big lunch you're having" Well sorry I eat more than a carrot at lunch. Here's what I had, a salad and a roast beef sandwhich. Roast beef from a lean roast I made last night, on whole wheat bread with mixed greens on top. Since when is a sandwhich and salad considered such a big lunch that someone has to comment on it?
Sorry but I had to vent.
Mayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I take the opportunity to educate ignorant people when things like this happen. A good response: "Yes, it's amazing how much healthy food I can eat while losing weight, when its homemade, whole foods, all natural and calorie controlled."
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #3  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

That girl needs to step off. I'm sure she just does it without thinking, or just to make herself feel better. Don't worry about her.
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Some people are just idiots. There is no rhyme or reason.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I take the opportunity to educate ignorant people when things like this happen. A good response: "Yes, it's amazing how much healthy food I can eat while losing weight, when its homemade, whole foods, all natural and calorie controlled."
Sorry but I don't think there is any ignorance to this comment. She knew exactly what she was saying. This comment is code for "you wouldn't be such a big fat pig if you didn't eat so damn much".

When people make nasty comments like this, I just don't respond. I act as if I didn't even hear them speak. Why even discuss things with people who make comments like these? There's no rule that says rude people must be indulged.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Or just tell 'em, "Yes, isn't it great! I can eat all this and still lose weight like I have been, without starving or skipping a meal!"

Then let her go back to her desk and eat her carrots and think about what you said....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Sorry but I don't think there is any ignorance to this comment. She knew exactly what she was saying. This comment is code for "you wouldn't be such a big fat pig if you didn't eat so damn much".
Well, if that is what she truly meant, isn't that the very definition of ignorance? Assuming someone is overweight and will stay that way when eating a healthy lunch? That IS ignorant, uninformed and so on. Sure, it's rude and a whole lot of other things too, but, to be sure, that attitude is an ignorant one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
Or just tell 'em, "Yes, isn't it great! I can eat all this and still lose weight like I have been, without starving or skipping a meal!"

Then let her go back to her desk and eat her carrots and think about what you said....
EXACTLY!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #8  
Julia Havey

sounds like the Lean Cuisine commercials where "dieters" are longinly looking at the woman eating the appetizing meal and her 'secret' is that it is healthy and "diet" but better than the carrot sticks they are eating!
JuliaHavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #9  

Just ignore here, take a deep breath -- and blow her little body down the hallway

I've decided I don't particularly care anymore what others think, I want to lose weight/eat right for me -- so what if she had a cracker and a glass of water for lunch to be a size -2 -- I want to eat!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #10  
Reformed Quitter

S/C/G: 302/267/155

Height: 5' 8"

Say nothing because she said nothing worth hearing. Validating the Twerp is not your job. Ignoring her is your best course. Bravo for you!
CABunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #11  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

This reminds me of something that happened at work not too long ago. I was eating in the lunch room on my break and a few co-workers were there, too. One of them mentioned to the others that it looked like I was losing weight.

Well, one of the girls said, "Never gonna happen. Every time I see her she's eating."

This ticked me off!! So, I turned around, and told her "For your information, I've lost 14 pounds." (I've dropped a few more since then)

She looks a little flustered, then asks me in a condescending tone, "So, you're only eating salads now?"

Yes, I happened to be eating a monster-sized salad for lunch that day, but I really enjoy them! I turned around and shot her a nasty "Are you kidding??" look and shook my head. I then turned back to my bowl and went on with my lunch.

This other gal is pretty overweight herself, so I don't know why she would make such comments. I figure maybe it's because she is struggling with her own weight and is just projecting her problems onto me.

But even when I take this into consideration, her thoughtless remarks still got under my skin.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

My favorite way of handling tacky comments (as long as Im' sure they really were meant as tacky and rude) is to look at the person with a slight look of shock on my face and say .. "Um ... are you aware you said that out loud?"

It's amazing how quickly people will get flustered and backpedal when they realize that you aren't going to let a rude comment slide by.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks View Post
This reminds me of something that happened at work not too long ago. I was eating in the lunch room on my break and a few co-workers were there, too. One of them mentioned to the others that it looked like I was losing weight.

Well, one of the girls said, "Never gonna happen. Every time I see her she's eating."
She must be a miserable person to be that hateful. I feel sorry for people like that. I feel even worse for those of us (like you) who have to put up with the hateful, thoughtless things they say.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
My favorite way of handling tacky comments (as long as Im' sure they really were meant as tacky and rude) is to look at the person with a slight look of shock on my face and say .. "Um ... are you aware you said that out loud?"

It's amazing how quickly people will get flustered and backpedal when they realize that you aren't going to let a rude comment slide by.

Love that one!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote